Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Juggernaut #1 spoilers

In Manhattan, Damage Control is being helped with demolition by its latest recruit: the Juggernaut. As Cain finishes tearing down a building damaged during the War of the Realms and talks to his bosses, a group of teenage squatters begin throwing rocks at them. As Cain goes to stop the teens, he's surprised to find some sort of force slowing him down, allowing the kids to escape. Suspecting that one of them is a mutant who might need help, Cain decides to follow.

Months ago. A depowered Cain appears in Limbo after being teleported there by Magik. Taking off his armor, Cain begins to drag it down the long road ahead of him...

The present. Following the teens into another building on the edge of collapse, Cain gets pelted by more rocks. As he tries to respond in kind, Cain finds himself and the rocks all slowed down again, realizing that the powered teen's abilities must be a deceleration field. Said teen reveals herself under the name D-Cel and begins focusing her deceleration powers right on Cain, proclaiming she's not a mutant despite his assumptions. To D-Cel's surprise, however, Cain continues to push himself forward. Despite her best efforts, D-Cel collapses under the strain of trying to hold Cain back; this also causes Cain to suddenly fall forward with nothing pushing him back now and accidentally knock some rubble on top of D-Cel. Shouting for the other teens to help, Cain desperately digs D-Cel out of the rubble.

Later, at Bellevue Trauma Center, Cain stays all night in the recovering D-Cel's room. When D-Cel wakes up, she reiterates once again that she's not a mutant, but Cain still decides to help her, knowing what it's like to be at a crossroads in life...

The past. Cain also knows what it's like to be at a literal crossroads, as 30 days after beginning his trek through Limbo, he finds himself at a tree covered in branches that look like human arms. Remembering that the tree requires a sacrifice of something that has come before prior to showing the way forward, Cain gives it his helmet. He then suddenly disappears in a flash of light.

The present. D-Cel mentions how her powers came from a science accident, then shows Cain the footage of their fight that her friends posted on Roxtube; she explains that they usually just post pranks, although Cain is not impressed. D-Cel argues that Cain hasn't done much better with his life and that he should help her get more video views by going out and doing good deeds. And she has something in mind already: taking down the Hulk!

I thought this was an all right introductory issue, next issue should be juicier now that we've got the set-up out of the way. I was a little surprised to find Cain's new suit and regained powers not explained by the end, so I'm looking forward to seeing that mystery explored as well.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Looks like Huggy Juggy's back.

I enjoyed this issue.
    It’s always funny to me how quickly Fabian Nicieza can get me interested in a character.
    Is this an ongoing or a mini?

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I enjoyed this issue.
    It’s always funny to me how quickly Fabian Nicieza can get me interested in a character.
    Is this an ongoing or a mini?
    It's a 5 issue mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    It's a 5 issue mini.
    Thanks!
    I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

BANNED

It was a decent issue but doesn't really seem to have anything to do with Dawn of X, reads more like a general Marvel book. The art was pretty great though.

Will stick with it although I'm not a Nicieza fan... He and Lobdell did drive me away from X-Men back in the 90's after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    ...doesn't really seem to have anything to do with Dawn of X, reads more like a general Marvel book.
    That’s a plus. It’s something that can be enjoyed on its own.

Forgot this came out cause of all the X of Swords hype.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Well... That was one well written comic. I really enjoyed it.

I love just about anything Fabes writes, and this was no exception. Great characterization and use of continuity. Two things Fabian excels at, possibly only rivaled by Kurt Busiek.

I liked this, and I love how Cain was trying so hard to be responsible, working for Damage Control in a legitimate job, trying to make sure the kids got out of the demolition area safely! Trying to convince D-Cel to just talk! Then Cain felt so bad that she got injured by their battle he waited for her in the hospital for her to wake back up!

Haha, and now D-Cel is reigning Cain in on doing more viral videos for her channel, that was so funny! Maybe you should fight the hulk, that will get so many views!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Amazing Member

I think I enjoyed the issue...? The story was cute and sarcastic and the art was gritty (not sure I liked it though). The one constant thought I had was: Cyttorak, why aren't you stripping Cain of his powers since he's not acting appropriately as your avatar of destruction?! I still keep reading it though since I love me some Juggy.

I still struggle with the way Colossus was treated by the Marvel writers and editors (demonic tendencies - hi Grigori) as the avatar of Cyttorak and the double standard that exists with Cain.

Found the Juggernaut thread! I started one in the mainstream folder because I didn't really know if Cain could be called an X-character now. I guess he still is. Which makes this the first X-title I have read since House of X. I'll just post what I posted over there.

This was a great start.

This is me...actually liking something. I have no problems with this book. I want to say Fabian Nicieza needs more Marvel work, specifically more X-Work, they could really benefit from his veteran presence but then I wouldn't get stuff like this.

Forgive me but but I'm going to do something that will no doubt come off as alien to most of you.

Folks this book is great. Just a good superhero issue with a beginning, middle and satisfying end that still leaves you wanting more.

Imagine that.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 09-28-2020 at 11:08 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Wondering if his inclusion on the Dawn of X reading list is more for sales, or an eventual actual connection?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
    I think I enjoyed the issue...? The story was cute and sarcastic and the art was gritty (not sure I liked it though). The one constant thought I had was: Cyttorak, why aren't you stripping Cain of his powers since he's not acting appropriately as your avatar of destruction?! I still keep reading it though since I love me some Juggy.

I still struggle with the way Colossus was treated by the Marvel writers and editors (demonic tendencies - hi Grigori) as the avatar of Cyttorak and the double standard that exists with Cain.
    Mainly because Colossus was a way more powerful Juggernaut than Maemo because of his base mutant powers. So they had to limit him from going too wild.

I wish they had kept him as Juggernaut, frankly. Damn AvX and Disney throwing the X-Men under the bus at that time.