Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Juggernaut #1 spoilers

In Manhattan, Damage Control is being helped with demolition by its latest recruit: the Juggernaut. As Cain finishes tearing down a building damaged during the War of the Realms and talks to his bosses, a group of teenage squatters begin throwing rocks at them. As Cain goes to stop the teens, he's surprised to find some sort of force slowing him down, allowing the kids to escape. Suspecting that one of them is a mutant who might need help, Cain decides to follow.

Months ago. A depowered Cain appears in Limbo after being teleported there by Magik. Taking off his armor, Cain begins to drag it down the long road ahead of him...

The present. Following the teens into another building on the edge of collapse, Cain gets pelted by more rocks. As he tries to respond in kind, Cain finds himself and the rocks all slowed down again, realizing that the powered teen's abilities must be a deceleration field. Said teen reveals herself under the name D-Cel and begins focusing her deceleration powers right on Cain, proclaiming she's not a mutant despite his assumptions. To D-Cel's surprise, however, Cain continues to push himself forward. Despite her best efforts, D-Cel collapses under the strain of trying to hold Cain back; this also causes Cain to suddenly fall forward with nothing pushing him back now and accidentally knock some rubble on top of D-Cel. Shouting for the other teens to help, Cain desperately digs D-Cel out of the rubble.

Later, at Bellevue Trauma Center, Cain stays all night in the recovering D-Cel's room. When D-Cel wakes up, she reiterates once again that she's not a mutant, but Cain still decides to help her, knowing what it's like to be at a crossroads in life...

The past. Cain also knows what it's like to be at a literal crossroads, as 30 days after beginning his trek through Limbo, he finds himself at a tree covered in branches that look like human arms. Remembering that the tree requires a sacrifice of something that has come before prior to showing the way forward, Cain gives it his helmet. He then suddenly disappears in a flash of light.

The present. D-Cel mentions how her powers came from a science accident, then shows Cain the footage of their fight that her friends posted on Roxtube; she explains that they usually just post pranks, although Cain is not impressed. D-Cel argues that Cain hasn't done much better with his life and that he should help her get more video views by going out and doing good deeds. And she has something in mind already: taking down the Hulk!

I thought this was an all right introductory issue, next issue should be juicier now that we've got the set-up out of the way. I was a little surprised to find Cain's new suit and regained powers not explained by the end, so I'm looking forward to seeing that mystery explored as well.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Looks like Huggy Juggy's back.

I enjoyed this issue.
    It’s always funny to me how quickly Fabian Nicieza can get me interested in a character.
    Is this an ongoing or a mini?

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I enjoyed this issue.
    It’s always funny to me how quickly Fabian Nicieza can get me interested in a character.
    Is this an ongoing or a mini?
    It's a 5 issue mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    It's a 5 issue mini.
    Thanks!
    I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

BANNED

It was a decent issue but doesn't really seem to have anything to do with Dawn of X, reads more like a general Marvel book. The art was pretty great though.

Will stick with it although I'm not a Nicieza fan... He and Lobdell did drive me away from X-Men back in the 90's after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    ...doesn't really seem to have anything to do with Dawn of X, reads more like a general Marvel book.
    That’s a plus. It’s something that can be enjoyed on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    It was a decent issue but doesn't really seem to have anything to do with Dawn of X, reads more like a general Marvel book. The art was pretty great though.

Will stick with it although I'm not a Nicieza fan... He and Lobdell did drive me away from X-Men back in the 90's after all.
    I just got some FF Heroes Reborn trades this week and was surprised how Lobdell and Claremont laid down a lot of seeds for Marvel in the 21st Century. I all but ignored the 1990’s Marvel, but when I read this, it is surprising that sprinkled through the seemingly erroneous stuff, I recognised a lot of what came much later in the Marvel Knights Spider-Man, Civil War, World War Hulks, Secret Wars, Ben and Alicia’s wedding, and ANAD. So, maybe the 1990’s is a worth another look, for all those completion fanatics out there like me.

Also, I have a lot of respect for Nicieza in his Thunderbolts run.