Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1

    Default Why is Hickman ignoring Krakoa canon?



    Hickman's grand New era is certainly interesting, but there's a big problem: Krakoa!

    Len Wein and Dave Cockrum told us the island only became conscious after nuclear testing some decades ago. Hickman tells us it's been conscious for thousands of years. This whole new era is literally built on Krakoa, which Polaris and Storm threw into space in 1975. How can this be reconciled??
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member cranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Some things just changed that will make old stories get updated. It used to be that all the atomic testing was what was causing mutations (even Apocalypse was going on about this in his first main story). Also, stories often tell us what we need to know sometimes based on what the characters need to know. The truth is Krakoa could have just been dormant at time and the testing woke it up or enraged it, maybe whatever effect wore off while it was out in space. How did it return? There is a pretty big gap before HoX and a lot of other questions that have never been answered.

    That said, I never did like it, but I have never been a fan of most of these kinds of changes. Part of me thinks that Hickman doing so much that seems to contradict what we know, and I can hear the groans now, is to tell us something is not right and something big is going to happen to set things back inline with what we thought we knew before HoX #1.

  3. #3
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    4,438

    Default

    Because it makes for a much better story.
    It's not the first time canonical elements have been changed or outright ignored to suit story and character purposes.
    As it stands...this is one of the very best retcons ever!!!
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Krakoa, FOREVER!!!

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    3,199

    Default

    he wasnt the first to ignore it bring it, up to whoever used krakoa as land for a school and a sinister evil castle and other nonsense shenanigans.

  5. #5
    Spectacular Member Leirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post


    Hickman's grand New era is certainly interesting, but there's a big problem: Krakoa!

    Len Wein and Dave Cockrum told us the island only became conscious after nuclear testing some decades ago. Hickman tells us it's been conscious for thousands of years. This whole new era is literally built on Krakoa, which Polaris and Storm threw into space in 1975. How can this be reconciled??
    Easy peasy. Krakoa just woke up with the bombs. Krakoa has been shown to regrown and spawn before. In fact, there is another Krakoa in the Atlantic.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member cranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Easy peasy. Krakoa just woke up with the bombs. Krakoa has been shown to regrown and spawn before. In fact, there is another Krakoa in the Atlantic.
    Outside of Hickman, when does any of that happen?

    Interesting to note that the Deadly Genesis retcon reveals that Krakoa was never sentient.

  7. #7

    Default

    I'd like to know how did it return from space.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Because it makes for a much better story.
    It's not the first time canonical elements have been changed or outright ignored to suit story and character purposes.
    As it stands...this is one of the very best retcons ever!!!
    Exactly. Maybe Hickman has an explanation for the conflicting histories maybe other writers do who knows. But as it stands Krakoa being a mutated island from the 40's is a lot less interesting than Krakoa being two halves of a sentient landmass that existed thousands and thousands of years and was split apart by a demon sword with half of itself being locked away into a hell dimension by Apocalypse.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Glio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    4,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Outside of Hickman, when does any of that happen?

    Interesting to note that the Deadly Genesis retcon reveals that Krakoa was never sentient.
    Another thing tremendously easy to explain: It was so hungry that it was in a feral state.

    And It already showed personality in Wolverine and the X-Men.

  10. #10
    Incredible Member Micabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    I'd like to know how did it return from space.
    Krakoa hitched a ride with the Phoenix Force when it came back to Earth to rebond with Jean Grey.
    Last edited by Micabe; 09-25-2020 at 11:52 AM.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member cranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    And It already showed personality in Wolverine and the X-Men.
    Did they ever figure out exactly what that thing was? As far as I remember it is not the same entity as the island Krakoa itself so whatever it's origins doesn't seem to change the original stories.

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    3,199

    Default

    it was a ... son??

  13. #13
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Characters change over time. Bad guys become good guys (Emma Frost). Also, its a mutually beneficial relationship - instead of having to eat 2 mutants every year, if they all come to you and share a bit of their essence, its a net gain for both sides - guaranteed sustenance in abundance for Krakoa without having to hunt, protection to a degree by the mutants, and the reverse, a safe, sovereign home for mutants, as well as resurrection and Krakkoan technology.

  14. #14
    Hi, Sage. nandes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    He went to sleep after losing his love and only woke up again bc of the puny humans. Poor thing

  15. #15
    Fantastic Member frostedemma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    425

    Default

    It's comics, retcon and new mythos constantly happen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •