Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Can we just lock/ban all appreciation threads?

These mindless threads being spammed everywhere have completely destroyed the new forums. You have to wade through pages of this nonsense to find any actual content on these boards.

All-New Member

Make it stop!!!

Oh, jeez, it's not that bad. There were a lot on the old board, too. They're fine. I don't see anything wrong with them. They're a place where fans can talk about a specific topic in general. They just stand out a little because the board is still relatively new. Once more threads begin filling up the place, they'll blend in. These threads complaining about threads are more irksome than anything else.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

If you don't like a thread, you don't have to click into it.

That said, I'm sure it'll balance out more, as things get moving.

Re member

It's worse in some sections than others. The X section is swamped, but there are a lot of characters in the X books to "appreciate" so there are a lot of those threads. The Superman board doesn't have that problem because there are fewer ancillary characters to "appreciate", or so I'd guess. Not to mention the fact that Appreciation threads allow us to talk about what we actually like, which puts them easily within the new guidelines of a less hostile environment.

We haven't gone an entire week, so Appreciation threads are going to dominate right now because we haven't had the next month's solicitations, next week's previews, or lot of articles on Newsarama, Bleeding Cool, or here at CBR for all of us to gnaw on. Give it time, the focus will change as we have more to talk about.

All-New Member

But really, does every character need to be appreciated in the first 3 days? It's almost stake-claiming, which goes against the rules.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

They probably seem so plentiful because many were in the Avengers sub-forum in the past. I have no problem with Appreciation threads. If they were not here, I would not have much to talk about. I politely disagree with banning/locking the appreciation threads.

Skipping Appreciation threads is a easy solution. I'm sure things will change as the board rebuilds too.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Oh, jeez, it's not that bad. There were a lot on the old board, too. They're fine. I don't see anything wrong with them. They're a place where fans can talk about a specific topic in general. They just stand out a little because the board is still relatively new. Once more threads begin filling up the place, they'll blend in. These threads complaining about threads are more irksome than anything else.
    I don't know about that last part. Quite a few of the new CBR Forum members seem to feel otherwise. I can't see why there isn't room for both points of view.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    These mindless threads being spammed everywhere have completely destroyed the new forums. You have to wade through pages of this nonsense to find any actual content on these boards.
    Again, I can't speak for all the threads, but the appreciation threads I go on are not mindless at all. In the Poison Ivy thread we mostly have wonderful discussions.

And once the forums gets older the appreciation thread will become less and less, and less and less people post in them and more different kinda posts show up.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

That said, it seems like maybe a "suggestion box" sort of thread might be a good idea? A single thread to put users input so the same things don't pop up three or four times?

Appreciation threads are kind of necessary. While it's fine to have a dissenting opinion, it's also nice to have a 'safe space' where you can just gush, and persons who dislike the titular character or book can find another space to rant.

There are some very polar opinions on various characters, and sometimes not all are facile to the discourse, nor need be presented.

If people were able to simply ignore that which they don't like or at least respect other's enthusiasm for it, then 'appreciation' threads would be an unnecessary relic. The internet being what it is though, they're a very nice feature of the boards.

BANNED

The threads are also a way for people to start getting into a character they otherwise know nothing about.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Agree with 100%.

The appreciation threads I visited were great places to converse with like minded people and safe from the trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by errant View Post
    But really, does every character need to be appreciated in the first 3 days? It's almost stake-claiming, which goes against the rules.
    If the Appreciation thread is on the first couple of pages, then it's being used, so it's hardly stake claiming. As others have pointed out, the ones not being used will drop down pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I don't know about that last part. Quite a few of the new CBR Forum members seem to feel otherwise. I can't see why there isn't room for both points of view.
    How can you tell? Aren't we all new members?

One easy solution is to have a separate Appreciation Threads sub-forum, like the X-boards used to have. Then the folks complaining about them can have their single page forums.

Folks complaining about the Appreciation Threads can also help shove them off the front pages, by creating "actual content" threads.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by errant View Post
    But we now have a non-character-appreciation appreciation thread. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    How can you tell? Aren't we all new members?

One easy solution is to have a separate Appreciation Threads sub-forum, like the X-boards used to have. Then the folks complaining about them can have their single page forums.

Folks complaining about the Appreciation Threads can also help shove them off the front pages, by creating "actual content" threads.
    If you're asking how I can tell, it's the two or three locked threads.

I actually agree with what you are suggesting. The old "TV/FILM" section had a "WRESTLING" sub-forum at the top. One of those for each title's section of the board seems like a totally logical, user-friendly solution to the "What to do about appreciation Threads" question.