Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Is this really a problem that merits complaint at this point in time? The forum was just recently rebooted. Of course there are going to be larger than normal amounts of appreciation type threads nearer forum tops. That will naturally abate over time.

Having said this, I do not have an issue with an appreciation forum. But unless you suddenly lack the ability to scroll or arrow downward, this really is not a big deal at all.
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I imagine once things settle down, the issue will go away. I think it was a mistake to not have an Avengers forum, which split off some of the appreciation threads between there and the Marvel boards. The X-forums were the only one that really needed a separate forum for appreciation threads

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis View Post
    Is this really a problem that merits complaint at this point in time? The forum was just recently rebooted. Of course there are going to be larger than normal amounts of appreciation type threads nearer forum tops. That will naturally abate over time.

Having said this, I do not have an issue with an appreciation forum. But unless you suddenly lack the ability to scroll or arrow downward, this really is not a big deal at all.
    With you. I like the appreciation topics.

Without appreciation treads there would be a lot of pointless treads talking/asking about the same character.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anis View Post
    Without appreciation treads there would be a lot of pointless treads talking/asking about the same character.

Which actually leads to discussion/conversation.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I'm more annoyed by repeat-haters popping into threads to repeat the same "they're a hack," "they make no sense" accusations regarding talent or dismissing/insulting Character X's fans without ever backing it up, than I am Appreciation threads, which tend to be full of enthusiasm and reasons/evidence for why X is awesome.

Most of that's gone away, too, so far, but if we're going to ban something, maybe trashtalk without evidence would be a better target & encourage more Appreciation threads to be character-discussion threads, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by errant View Post
    I'd rather have one thread about the character and keep that tread active instead of 10+thread asking a different question with less than 10 replies each and then get pushed down to page 3 within a few hour.

Not all the questions are worth discussing. Would you want see topics like "How tall is character X?" or "What's the name of character X's pet?"...?

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by errant View Post
    Again, I don't know which ones you go on. But each one I go on has great discussions. Yes there is some pictures. But every time something new about the character happens, discussion are made. Other times when it is slow its just images. But thats a small time.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Spectacular Member

I'm against "Appreciation" threads for the below reasons:

1.) No body should be able to "claim" a discussion about a character. Period. We're all fans, and should someone want to start a thread asking a question about a character,etc....then this forum should be encouraging and welcoming of those threads. Any one of us should be able to post a thread like "Hey, I have a theory about Aquaman's breathing under water!", without getting jumped on that the poster didn't post in the "Appreciation" thread.
    2.) You always get those regular members who will post in a thread "There is already a thread about this". And that just comes across as being rude. These people aren't mods usually, and just want to essential admonish a the thread starter. Not cool, and it often kills a person's desire to continue posting on a forum.
    3.) For all intents and purposes, "Appreciation" in the title is the same as "Official", in the title. And we know that "Official" is not permitted.
    4.) The "Appreciation" threads tend to get long...and boring. They don't generate activity because they have the same old stale title "XXXXX Appreciation Thread".
    5.) The word "appreciation" is very overused. We ALL appreciate comics & comic characters, that is why we are members of this forum and want to post. It is redundant. So, a thread that says "DC Character Appreciation", in the DC forum...kinda kills it, right?

I thank you for reading these reasons and for considering them.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post

1.) No body should be able to "claim" a discussion about a character. Period. We're all fans, and should someone want to start a thread asking a question about a character,etc....then this forum should be encouraging and welcoming of those threads. Any one of us should be able to post a thread like "Hey, I have a theory about Aquaman's breathing under water!", without getting jumped on that the poster didn't post in the "Appreciation" thread.
    Actually no one, not even the thread starter, makes a claim about any such discussions. Once other people join in then it it a community effort. As for starting new threads about a character, if it can be better served by asking in an existing thread about said character, it will help reduce clutter in the forums. That's why we mods merge threads.
    2.) You always get those regular members who will post in a thread "There is already a thread about this". And that just comes across as being rude. These people aren't mods usually, and just want to essential admonish a the thread starter. Not cool, and it often kills a person's desire to continue posting on a forum.
    They don't intend to be rude, they just want to point out that if the topic can be addressed in an existing thread, then my answer to #1 explains itself.
    3.) For all intents and purposes, "Appreciation" in the title is the same as "Official", in the title. And we know that "Official" is not permitted.
    "For all intents and purposes" does not objectively make a thread official. You may view it as such, but that is subjective.
    4.) The "Appreciation" threads tend to get long...and boring. They don't generate activity because they have the same old stale title "XXXXX Appreciation Thread".
    If you've read enough threads, you'll know they're not all boring. No, the title is not stale, just direct and straight to the point (though many thread starters add creative descriptions). Some of them are quite long; we don't mind long threads at all. That shows they're active, right?
    5.) The word "appreciation" is very overused. We ALL appreciate comics & comic characters, that is why we are members of this forum and want to post. It is redundant. So, a thread that says "DC Character Appreciation", in the DC forum...kinda kills it, right?
    The fact that CBR thus far allows "appreciation" in a thread title speaks for itself.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Retired

So appreciation means safe haven? I just thought these threads were supposed to be for honouring a character. Appreciating doesn't automatically mean we abandon all critical opinion--does it? Anyway, on the off chance that I've opened such a topic, keen to actually say or read something of substance about a character, I just find pages and pages of images and very little actual talk. So other than going through my files to find a scan worth posting, I'm not sure what these topics are for.

I mostly scroll past them now--yet it gets to be a case where the only active topics on a board seem to be appreciation topics. As these topics are not for actual conversation about the character and debating the merits, then what is there to talk about?

It might be the case that there are actual appreciation topics worth reading--I haven't found them and I'm not likely to now, because I avoid anything with appreciation in the title--I don't want to open them and I certainly don't want to reply to them, because I don't want to encourage a hackneyed use of this word in topic titles.

I think if certain threads are supposed to be safe havens, then there should be some way to signal that--other than putting appreciation into any given topic title. Like maybe a topic starter can choose an icon for their topic that indicates this is a safe haven thread, i.e. everyone has to be on their best behaviour and no negative posts will be tolerated.

Y'know, I used to like the word appreciation, but the constant repetition of the word has emptied it of any good meaning. I think that's why it's annoying and verges on spam. You don't want to click on a forum and see the same word repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over--until your eyes glaze over.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post

I don't see evidence for any of that. Really. Who has ever started a thread involving, say, Ms Marvel or Tim Drake and been told by anyone that it should be deleted and put in the Appreciation thread instead? Who, here, has ever posted a theory, question, or opinion about a character and been forced or bullied into putting it in the Appreciation thread?å

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    So appreciation means safe haven? I just thought these threads were supposed to be for honouring a character. Appreciating doesn't automatically mean we abandon all critical opinion--does it?
    I don't think anyone said that. Or believes it.

It's just harder for trolls to go right into an appreciation thread and pull some "this character sux! No reason given" or "this character's fans are a bunch of whiny entitled whiner babies with bad hygiene!" (Paraphrasing.)

The Talia Appreciation thread, for example, has several posters stating which versions of her they prefer, which versions ring untrue or don't work for them, and why. Posters are being keenly critical and sometimes very specific. That it's still an Appreciation thread isn't stopping critical thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Actually no one, not even the thread starter, makes a claim about any such discussions. Once other people join in then it it a community effort.
    It pretty much is the definition of stake claiming as explicitly banned in the new rules.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    It pretty much is the definition of stake claiming as explicitly banned in the new rules.
    Please re-read what stake claiming is (emphasis mine):

"Starting up a thread with little to no content just because you know people will eventually be talking about the topic is stake claiming."

If the thread starter put a lot of thought and effort into the first post, and was subsequently welcome to other posters without harping on his/her status as the thread starter, I don't see a problem with this. Besides, they may take the lead in the discussions and be the most active poster, but it does not automatically mean that the thread is theirs and theirs alone. As I said, it can morph into a community thread, which is pretty much what we want to encourage.

At any rate, until CBR administrators make an announcement banning or curtailing them, appreciation threads are here to stay.
    Last edited by Ravin' Ray; 05-09-2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Added quote and more detals
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Maybe I belong somewhere on the autistic spectrum but I dislike these sorts of threads for their non-specific nature. My eyes just skip right past them and when there are a lot of them, I see them as clutter.