Default The covers of Ultimate Spider-Man

One of the many unique things about the classic Ultimate Spider-Man series was the cover designs. Not typical at all, very subdued in some cases, sometimes not indicative of the story inside at all.

How did you like the cover design theme of the series? Loved it since it was different? Didn't care for it because they were boring?

The covers of the Ultimate Universe (not just Spider-Man) were bland most of the time and did little to cacth your attention, so yeah i never liked then.
    Last edited by TheCape; 09-25-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

The covers never did much for me. I imagine the choice to do them that way was to make the Ultimate Verse immediately identifiable as distinct from the 616 stuff.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

yeah I agree, the covers were super boring. You can't really pick up any of the issues and figure out what the story was. Ironic that the covers were so mundane yet the content inside was so incredible!

The older ones were pretty bad about being generic "Spidey posing" art with nothing about the story. They had some exceptions, though; the one where Peter lets MJ in on his secret had a nice one of his mask being held up and her surprised face reflected in the eyes.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I always liked the weird glossy look to those covers. Taking Mark Bagley pencils and pretty much just digitally painting over them, plus the color side bars on the covers with unique "titles" for every issue on the side bar. it was pretty unique compared to traditional covers from the 616 Marvel U. I wasn't a fan of when they got rid of the side bars cause it always felt like a thing that set the universe apart visually on the stands right at first glance. There were two covers early on in Ultimate Spider-Man that had silver webbing on his costume before the Raimi movie came out, I think by that point we knew what the suit looked like so I thought it was interesting at the time as a kid seeing those two covers where the webs had a similar silver/raised look to them.

bland bad
    not indicative of story content good
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I always liked the weird glossy look to those covers. Taking Mark Bagley pencils and pretty much just digitally painting over them, plus the color side bars on the covers with unique "titles" for every issue on the side bar. it was pretty unique compared to traditional covers from the 616 Marvel U. I wasn't a fan of when they got rid of the side bars cause it always felt like a thing that set the universe apart visually on the stands right at first glance. There were two covers early on in Ultimate Spider-Man that had silver webbing on his costume before the Raimi movie came out, I think by that point we knew what the suit looked like so I thought it was interesting at the time as a kid seeing those two covers where the webs had a similar silver/raised look to them.
    Yeah, this was about my perspective on it.

BANNED

I liked the covers for USM at the time. It felt very art-y. And certainly no other comic at the time looked like it. It had a look of video game CGI cutscene renders with photorealistic backgrounds. And it’s a kind of late 90s sense of the 21st century. Like all things it dated fast and today it doesn’t stand out. Still in terms of having a cohesive visual look it gets points.

Astonishing Member

The covers of an issue are rarely important to me, so I honestly didn't care.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I remember liking the covers during the Ultimate Venom story.