Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Rob is still hurt because he doesn't understand that Major X wasn't the great mutant relaunch. It would be sad if it weren't pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Hickman’s Krakoa is here to stay haters. We had to endure awful consecutive periods from Bendis to Soule to Guggenheim to Rosenberg. We deserve a break after that long period of torture.

This new status quo with the X-Men has never been better and it’s clearly well received all over. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.
    This.

I'll take Krakoa over Schism and everything that came after it any Wednesday.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

I hate to see Rob go full on comicsgate, but it appears to be happening. He's just trying to get the comicsgate crowd to watch his podcast or whatever.

I loved the 90's cartoon. I was very young when it came on and it was my gateway into the comics. I have a fondness for 90's X-men even though it is nowhere near the best X-men era. So far I love the current Hickman era (nothing comes close to the near perfect Morrison era for me though... but the Hickman era has just started).

I wish it wasn't a contest between old vs new. Why can't we appreciate things about the older runs and still love and enjoy the new stuff?

I saw a lot of the old vs new with the new She-Ra cartoon. Older fans hating on the new art and the show's creators hating on the old cartoon and the older fans. It becomes a contest between groups and it is just annoying.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Wasn't the 90s the decade that had X-men#1 the highest selling comic of all time and spawned the famed blue and gold teams. The books that were consistently at the top of the charts and really pushed the X-Men into the public consciousness in a big way. Now people consider that era trash? I guess it really is a " what have you done for me lately" time we are living in. Twenty years from now can we expect the Krakoa era to be considered trash as well?
    Or maybe it's the fact that a famous Xmen artists from the 90s is trashing a very celebrated and popular run of X-men comics and saying that Xmen titles should go back to how they were in the 90's when that type of thinking was a big reason why the xtitles were in such a sorry state for so long.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Or maybe it's the fact that a famous Xmen artists from the 90s is trashing a very celebrated and popular run of X-men comics and saying that Xmen titles should go back to how they were in the 90's when that type of thinking was a big reason why the xtitles were in such a sorry state for so long.
    The titles were in such a sorry state for so long because the of the CompleX, I am pretty sure you were here for that. Nothing about Post-House of M tried to be the 90s.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Maybe in the 2000s but the X-men were at their highest in the 90s. X-men(Blue) and Uncanny(Gold) were the top selling books at marvel and lead a celebrated x-line which included X-force, X-factor and Excalibur. Now instead of honoring that era for the great stories and characters they introduced people are ripping it simply because they have Hixmen now. Yeah Austen, Guggenheim, Rosenberg, Fraction among others were far from good but they were the 2000s, after Morrison. Some people really seem to only live in the moment and only what's current matters. So they think Hickman and Krakoa at the greatest things ever in the history to the franchise, and any critics/criticism are attached and shouted down. The 90s were a great time for the X-men and to be an x-fan.

The history as I know it(as someone who started reading like decades later)is that they started off strong in the '90s but they got stale by the middle point and by the late '90s Marvel as a whole was already almost bankrupt, and Morrison brought the X-Men back to life with a fresh start much like Hickman now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    The history as I know it(as someone who started reading like decades later)is that they started off strong in the '90s but they got stale by the middle point and by the late '90s Marvel as a whole was already almost bankrupt, and Morrison brought the X-Men back to life with a fresh start much like Hickman now.
    Marvel was bankrupt for non-comic book decisions. This is not to say any criticism of comics or practices is not warranted but they really have nothing to do with the bankruptcy.

Also https://comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2000.html X-Men was still the top franchise before Morrison.

Astonishing Member

Maybe in the 2000s but the X-men were at their highest in the 90s. X-men(Blue) and Uncanny(Gold) were the top selling books at marvel and lead a celebrated x-line which included X-force, X-factor and Excalibur. Now instead of honoring that era for the great stories and characters they introduced people are ripping it simply because they have Hixmen now. Yeah Austen, Guggenheim, Rosenberg, Fraction among others were far from good but they were the 2000s, after Morrison. Some people really seem to only live in the moment and only what's current matters. So they think Hickman and Krakoa at the greatest things ever in the history to the franchise, and any critics/criticism are attached and shouted down. The 90s were a great time for the X-men and to be an x-fan.
    Technically your half right about sales. First comic sales numbers are inaccurate, there publisher to store not how many are bougt by consumers. Second the 90's were pseudo inflated, the comic boom had the number of stores go up by a mutiple of 15 on average spreading out buyers and polluting the market(by me it went from 9 to 33 and crashed to 6 store including pure comic and comic/game).

(Also why did marvel by a trading card company when they already owned one ?)

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Marvel was bankrupt for non-comic book decisions. This is not to say any criticism of comics or practices is not warranted but they really have nothing to do with the bankruptcy.

Also https://comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2000.html X-Men was still the top franchise before Morrison.
    Thanks. I still see a lot of people saying the comics were stale and everything before Morrison, was that a popular opinion at the time?

Astonishing Member

And most of that was built off the back of what Claremont had going but that's besides the point you're wondering why there's such a negativity being thrown at a Rob and his obsession with the 90s X-men comics to which he was a very big part of and I gave you a possible perspective to consider.

This isn't an isolated incident either Rob has been VERY vocal about his dislike of Hickman's run since HoX #1. So sorry people don't have much sympathy for a Xmen writer who decides to publicly trash another X-Men writers stories right from the gate. Rob Liefeld is the epitome of the old man yelling at clouds meme.
    Last edited by loke13; 09-25-2020 at 05:29 PM.

Spectacular Member

Man, the '90's were great but they directly and indirectly caused so much drama and heart ache and just terrible years in the 00's and 10's. And most importantly there was no growth in the concept of the x-men. Finally we have some growth and finally we have th 21'st century X-men. e

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Thanks. I still see a lot of people saying the comics were stale and everything before Morrison, was that a popular opinion at the time?
    Personally I skipped most of the 90s and came back shortly into Morrisons run, but I think people might have seen the industry as a whole pretty stale by the end of the 90s and my impression is the X-Men became too continuity dependent. New X-Men and the Ultimates line were no doubt seen as something fresh.

While Liefeld gives his lukewarm takes, Hickman remains unbothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    While Liefeld gives his lukewarm takes, Hickman remains unbothered.
    Liefeld hates that Vita Ayala is getting New Mutants and a 2nd book Children of the Atom! They had a good run on James Bond and some of the other books they have been writing! They get some featured chapters in X of Swords to showcase Storm!

Hands down Vita is a much better writer than he is and he can't stand it! His work won't stand the test of time because it's awful, and Vita's work will because they can actually write!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”