Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Why are many comic book covers misleading and how is this not false advertising?

As the title suggests why does it seem like a lot of comic book covers are misleading or outright lying?

Off the top of my the most iconic example is captain America 1 which featured Cap punching Adolf Hitler yet in the comic itself Hitler isn’t even in the story

Most recently in Flash 762 it features Flash dragging Reverse Flash across the page yet in the book Flash doesn’t kill Prof Zoom but instead resets him and sends him back to his own time with no knowledge of what happened

In an issue of All New X-Men it shows the two Cyclopses crossing beams in what looks like a fight but in the story itself the only time they cross beams is when adult Scott loses control and young Scott mitigates the damage. Hell there was an entire issue titled “All-New X-Men vs Uncanny Avengers” which had Havok and teen Cyclops fighting but last time I checked they didn’t fight. At most Jean tried to attack Wanda for destroying mutant kind before Wanda quickly restrained her

In Green Lanterns #2 it showed Bleez holding Simon and Jessica in chains but nothing like that happens in the issue. At most Bleez fights the two green lanterns before Simon learns he can temporary cure red lanterns of rage before she flies off

And lastly Batman 50 featured Catwoman and Batman getting married and was marketed as a landmark issue but in the story Selina runs away before she and Bruce get married

I think the funniest example was I remember is a Vampirella series which featured her in her classic skimpy costume on every cover but for most of the series she was wearing regular clothes. In fact she technically didn’t actually put on her classic costume until 8 issues later the only times she appeared in her classic costume was in visions. I can only imagine the disappointment

So how exactly do comic companies get away with what seems like blatant false advertisement? Are book covers just not considered part of advertisement? I mean some of these are not even remotely close on any technically. Like I guess on could say the two Cyclopses did cross beams and Batman and Catwoman were at a wedding but for most of these you’d have to really stretch it to come to find a parallel. Like I’m not the most knowledgeable person on this matter and I’m not offended by it but I am curious about it

I dont know the answer but I know this bugs the Hell out of me.

I love Golden Age Dc but one thing that bugs me is when I read a story that has Superman in the cover attacking a Japan sub of a German battleship and in the comic itself he is fighting yet another protection racket or breaking up the 100th gambling den in the last four issues.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

For me, I always thought the image is supposed to invoke your imagination of what can be possible in these pages; similar to opening up a Christmas present.

And to be honest I don't mind it because you get a totally unique piece of art from a superstar artist.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 09-25-2020 at 08:04 PM.

Mighty Member

Back when Strange Tales was about the Thing and the Torch, the cover showed Dr. Doom, but a caption said: "Dr. Doom does not appear in this story...we just felt like drawing his face!"

I think cover artists don't get the exact details of the story when they take the job, just some general informations like the basic storyline and who the villain is. So in many cases they draw the hero of the book fighting the villain but sometimes it turns out that the hero and the villain actually don't have a direct confrontation in that issue at all because the antagonist is just lurking in the background pulling strings.

Also your example with Cap #1 could be seen as a metaphor, Hitler stands for Nazi Germany and Cap is fighting against Nazi Germany so it's not exactly false.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

But Captain America Comics #1 actually predates the United States joining the war - it was basically Timely Comics saying that the US should join the Allies - which they eventually did after the Pearl Harbor attack. Cap shouldn't have been fighting Nazis initially.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

why would you want an idea of what happens in a comic before you read it
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    why would you want an idea of what happens in a comic before you read it
    Same reason you want the book cover to give you an idea what the book is about or the movie poster to give you an idea about the movie. You want to know if it's something that looks interesting.

You might not read Ironman on a regular basis, but if you see a cover where they hint Ironman has been repalced by somebody else, or he's got a guest star you really like you might want to check that out.

Ironman fighting Titanium Man? pass
    Ironman fighting Titanium Man with the help of Howard the Duck? This might be interesting.

I hate when they show a character on the cover of a book and he or she is not in it. I’ve ordered a few books that I saw Tony on the cover of and he was not even in them. That is really irksome.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Ultimate Member

Guess you must not read Archie books.

They have done it way more than Marvel or DC especially in the 70s-80s.

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Never judge a book by its cover.

Ferengi have a saying "Never be afraid to mislabel a product".

Yeah, but when you order a book through Previews and have to pay for it when it’s not what was advertised is frigging aggravating.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

do not put characters on covers who arent in the thing at all that is a good rule yes

as for events occuring, dont tell me anything, hide that ****, lie to my face
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I hate when they do theme month covers that have nothing to do with the books, like this month ever cover is going to have an alternate cover that features the cast dressed up like steampunk vampire Venom, or something, when that has nothing to do with the book itself.

I could understand the complain if its the main cover. But if its literally an alternate cover (And a lot of those covers literally tell you they are alt covers) then you have no one to blame but yourself.