Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    I could understand the complain if its the main cover. But if its literally an alternate cover (And a lot of those covers literally tell you they are alt covers) then you have no one to blame but yourself.
    I’m talking about the main cover. Not an alternate or a variant.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    I could understand the complain if its the main cover. But if its literally an alternate cover (And a lot of those covers literally tell you they are alt covers) then you have no one to blame but yourself.
    I mostly agree as far as looking at Previews at least, and a lot of covers are never going to see the shelf anyway, also the whole point of most of those covers is to sell just for the cover.

However, and I am pretty much on top of things as anyone, I did accidentally buy two copies of Justice League #1 because I grabbed its normal cover and then what I thought was Batman virgin variant cover with Batman and Catwoman on it only to open it and not see that weeks Batman comic.

Ultimate Member

When I was kid we just sort of took it in stride, like after a while we realized it was sensationalism. It was just that common. What's funny is that when something substantial actually did happen, they'd have to say on the cover, "Not a Dream! Not Hoax! A so-and-so dies this issue!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    As the title suggests why does it seem like a lot of comic book covers are misleading or outright lying? ...
    Well it's simple, it is purelly a marketing thing: to attract reader with a seductive cover and to not spoil the actual content.

To me, the most misleading thing about covers is that it's often not drawn by the inside artist !

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Back when Strange Tales was about the Thing and the Torch, the cover showed Dr. Doom, but a caption said: "Dr. Doom does not appear in this story...we just felt like drawing his face!"
    That's funny.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    why would you want an idea of what happens in a comic before you read it
    Isn't that what a lot of comic book covers used to do decades ago? If you see a cover of "Amazing Spider-Man" where Spider-Man is about to go toe-to-toe with the Hulk, won't you get the idea that in that issue, Spider-Man and the Hulk are going to have some sort of confrontation? Covers used to get you excited for what was actually inside the comic book (well, the covers that did not purposely mislead the readers).

Imagine seeing that cover with Spider-Man and the Hulk looking like they are about to throw down, and you are excited for that fight, but when you actually read the issue, Hulk is nowhere to be found and Spider-Man is only shown beating up random bank robbers while running out of web fluid. Talk about disappointment.

To me, that's like asking why would someone want to watch a movie trailer before seeing the actual movie because "why would you want an idea of what happens in a movie before you see it?" Well, some people want to see what the movie is about before they plunk down money for a movie ticket, which are pricier these days. I can't imagine too many people NOT wanting some kind of idea what the movie will be about before they buy a movie ticket and sit down to watch that movie with the hopes that the movie has a topic they enjoy.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 09-26-2020 at 05:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Isn't that what a lot of comic book covers used to do decades ago?
    I don't even see the covers when the pile gets handed to me from my pull box.

Solicitations, in comic ads, interviews, news articles, forums, social media, etc, there are so many other and better ways to figure out what comics you are going to want then going in blind and hoping a cover convinces you.

I do miss those days though.

Covers aren’t advertising, they’re part of the product you’re buying.

I prefer artistically creative and interesting covers to overly literal ones. But too often covers manage to be neither.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Covers aren’t advertising, they’re part of the product you’re buying.

I prefer artistically creative and interesting covers to overly literal ones. But too often covers manage to be neither.
    Some covers USED to be advertising because some of them would advertise what you would see in the actual comic.

Yeah marvel did show covers as ads. I miss the older covers. They were "movie trailers" for that comic.

Superman was worse at this leading to the "superman is a--" covers. Even the brave and the bold cartoon spoofed them in a episode.

Say what you will those covers helped people pick up and try the books.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Yeah marvel did show covers as ads. I miss the older covers. They were "movie trailers" for that comic.

Superman was worse at this leading to the "superman is a--" covers. Even the brave and the bold cartoon spoofed them in a episode.

Say what you will those covers helped people pick up and try the books.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Is Tony in that Defenders? If he is I will have to track it down.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Some covers USED to be advertising because some of them would advertise what you would see in the actual comic.
    When you buy the comic, the cover comes with it. It's part of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    When you buy the comic, the cover comes with it. It's part of the product.
    Yes, and some of the covers also ADVERTISE what is actually going to happen in the comic books. Both what you are saying and what I am saying are happening at the same time. When you buy the comic, the advertising cover comes with it and is part of the product.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 09-27-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Isn't that what a lot of comic book covers used to do decades ago? If you see a cover of "Amazing Spider-Man" where Spider-Man is about to go toe-to-toe with the Hulk, won't you get the idea that in that issue, Spider-Man and the Hulk are going to have some sort of confrontation? Covers used to get you excited for what was actually inside the comic book (well, the covers that did not purposely mislead the readers).

Imagine seeing that cover with Spider-Man and the Hulk looking like they are about to throw down, and you are excited for that fight, but when you actually read the issue, Hulk is nowhere to be found and Spider-Man is only shown beating up random bank robbers while running out of web fluid. Talk about disappointment.

To me, that's like asking why would someone want to watch a movie trailer before seeing the actual movie because "why would you want an idea of what happens in a movie before you see it?" Well, some people want to see what the movie is about before they plunk down money for a movie ticket, which are pricier these days. I can't imagine too many people NOT wanting some kind of idea what the movie will be about before they buy a movie ticket and sit down to watch that movie with the hopes that the movie has a topic they enjoy.
    movie trailers are bad too
    it is bad to set up audience expectations that dont pay off
    but ideally stories would not have to set up anything until you read them
    this is obviously impossible due to the nature of business and advertising and getting things made and successful but
    it's my creative dream
    no thinkums til you're ass is in the seat
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I like it when they're honest.
    Attached Images Attached Images