View Poll Results: What costume should Wally West wear now?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic shiny red suit circa 1990s

28 24.78%
  • Dark Flash/Rebirth ‘08 suit

9 7.96%
  • Hair free Rebirth 2016 suit

61 53.98%
  • Something new

15 13.27%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

the rebirth suit is his heroes in crisis suit, just that alone should mean it gets scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    His current blue one.
    Agree they should have done this and stuck with it, way back!
    And he should generate silver-bluish- lightning opposed to Barry's gold.

That this is still an issue, is almost as humiliating as the once ongoing What name should he take thread - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...superhero-name

Whatever chosen he should stick with it (with whatever slight tweaks each artist brings to it) for at least over a decade, so it becomes iconic recognizable.

Still stands as the worst decision the character ever made....
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    LOL!
    Rerun
    Retread
    Or if he trades Barry's treadmill for a stationary cycle ...Recycle.

It's true, on the one hand like everyone suggests he's more than earned the name The Flash as much as the others.
    On the other, that was as homage to Barry because Barry was no longer around.
    He may at this point be better off getting his own new identity,
    If he'd taken his own identity to begin with this wouldn't even be an issue.

Last edited by Güicho; 09-26-2020 at 10:34 AM.

That this is still an issue, is almost as humiliating as the once ongoing What name should he take thread -

Whatever chosen he should stick with it (with whatever slight tweaks each artist brings to it) for at least over a decade, so it becomes iconic recognizable.

^^^i agree taking Barry’s look was a bad idea on his part, but I get it from an editorial point of view. The costume would at least add a sense of continuity to the Flash comic, as Wally took over from Barry.

For what it’s worth (which isn’t much, unless you like random trivia) the open cowl look was blink and you’ll miss it teased in FLASH 21, which was a tie in to DC’s 1988 event, INVASION....:

And yes, that IS Fidel Castro Wally’s rescuing, and yes, Wally’s dad DOES look like Stan Lee.

The post Countdown outfit is pretty good, but it looks too much to me like the Flash with a red wig slapped on top. (the lack of forehead showing really gives me that impression) So I'd keep the flowing hair, just show more forehead and instead of the blue electricity, make more of his costume yellow so that it's still reminiscent of Kid Flash. The two-tones of red isn't enough to really differentiate, especially when colorists now use all kinds of lighting now.

Astonishing Member

I voted for 90s. The Rebirth 08 one would be fine if it didn't cover the nose weirdly and look like a helmet, though I'm averse to defaulting to ANYTHING Van Sciver did ever again. The more riddance to him the better. I'd also be fine with some variation on whatever Flash suit, so long as you look at it and know he's The Flash.

As I said in the prior thread, the best moment we got in comics this past week, and possibly since DCUniverse Rebirth itself, was Wally putting on THE Flash costume. Not the Rebirth costume, not the dumb Manhattan powered costume, not some knockoff variation meant to make him look like a Flash supporting character. THE Flash costume. Minor variations permitting, the entire point is there in visual symbolism. It was a moving moment purely because he put on the costume. How that does not speak to everyone who enjoys the character or how it didn't come across to others will continue to baffle me.

I'm okay with distinction, though I imagine not being covered in dumb Lee Lines might be enough of a distinction these days. If you need a different shade of red and lightning bolts then fine, whatever, even if you lose the symbolism we literally just got back.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I favor this outfit, because he IS an adult Kid Flash. It’s his look.
    The Mercury helmet is Jay’s.
    The cowl is Barry’s.
    The hair free open cowl is Wally’s.
    The open cowl is what all the kid/teen speedsters wear. Avery. Wallace. Bart. Iris. It's not unique to Wally. The only ones who break that trend are Jesse and Johnny, but they're their own line.

Seems more like being sat at the kid's table than something meant for Wally.

That this is still an issue, is almost as humiliating as the once ongoing What name should he take thread - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...superhero-name

So I'm gonna go with Mark Waid's writing of Wally and his identity from Return of Barry Allen over Marv Wolfman's from Crisis. Reposting that scene doesn't make it more intuitive to Wally's character because, and this is rare for comic characters I know, Wally had developed as a person and character from when he first became The Flash. And the stories that really define him are in direct contrast to that page you're throwing out there. Putting on The Flash outfit and calling himself The Flash is the best decision of Wally's life, both in the comics story and in real life for him as a character. Had he not done that absolutely none of us would give a crap about him. He'd be just like Garth and Donna, with a very small select group of Titans fans who would be attached to him and that's it. And I bet closer to Garth than Donna because Donna was a bigger deal in the Titans. Honestly, saying that becoming The Flash is the worst decision Wally ever made makes me think your preferred situation is minimizing Wally as much as possible rather than anything good for the character.

Also, speaking of ORIGINAL to a character...generating lightning is original to Wally.
    Last edited by Dred; 09-26-2020 at 01:22 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

He's the flash. He earned it. If he isn't flash. I wouldn't have had the awesome stories. If that's a bad decision. I say the character should keep making it.

As if he took anything.There was no stealing or snatching involved. When barry returned that was not what happened.There was no credit being given to the speedster that filled the shoe and even arguably did a better job than he could. The character that took the costume and made it his own.There was no credit given to his predecessors. The silverage reboots of these characters need to pay tribute to the original concept and ideas.

I am fairly certain many who advocate for the open cowl look have pernicious motive to get him out of the way. They don't have the character's best interest at heart. Seeing as the costume was made to box the character in.That further proves it. While, i am not denying many truly like the open hair look like myself. But, many just want him stuck as demoted flash. The character has come a long way. He is kid flash no more. He hasn't been kid flash in decades.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-26-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Brett Booth's TITANS design: varied shades of the classic scarlet accented with the blue-silver lightning detail. Open cowl.

Dark horse favorite...Go full GOLD speed force. Enjoy the homage to both his classic Kid Flash colors and the Kingdom Come Flash look.
    I agree, I think he needs something that makes him stand out from Barry Allen's costume. I would like to see him back on the Titans with Roy.

The blue one he has on now, it's perfect. It also helps him stand out more.
    Last edited by 9th.; 09-26-2020 at 02:01 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

He should have his hair exposed, and his emblem should be the one on his current costume. Either keep the Rebirth suit or make the relevant changes to the 90s suit and recolour the yellow parts to silver. Leaving the 90s suit as is is a non-starter - he'd look too much like Barry.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Honestly kind of surprised how many votes the second Rebirth costume is getting (even though I like it).

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Honestly, saying that becoming The Flash is the worst decision Wally ever made
    Only you said that.
    LOL I'm ^ talking about the costume.

... Wally putting on THE Flash costume. Not the Rebirth costume, not the dumb Manhattan powered costume, not some knockoff variation meant to make him look like a Flash supporting character. THEFlash costume . Minor variations permitting, the entire point is there in visual symbolism. It was a moving moment purely because he put on the costume. How that does not speak to everyone who enjoys the character or how it didn't come across to others will continue to baffle me.
    Also just cause you write things like he wore THE Flash costume.
    Instead of truthfully writing he wore Barry's costume, doesn't mean it wasn't Barry's costume.

Also, speaking of ORIGINAL to a character...generating lightning is original to Wally.
    Yeah that visual dates back to all the Flashes
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4678062
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-27-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Astonishing Member

LOL I'm ^ talking about the costume.
    Still applies. It's pretty damned important to him as a character. Otherwise that scene in Speed Metal wouldn't mean so much.

Also, GENERATING LIGHTNING. The whole power of the Speed Force crackling off of you. Not making speed lines. Everyone whooshes. One is decals coming off the costume, the other is the visible effect of their abilities and powers. Barry becoming the lightning bolt that hit him is not what we're talking about.
    Last edited by Dred; 09-26-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

His current blue one.

Also, GENERATING LIGHTNING. The whole power of the Speed Force crackling off of you. Not making speed lines. Everyone whooshes. One is decals coming off the costume, the other is the visible effect of their abilities and powers. Barry becoming the lightning bolt that hit him is not what we're talking about.
    He gave an all encompassing name to what Flashes had already been doing and conceptually accessing.

Astonishing Member

He gave an all encompassing name to what Flashes had already been doing and conceptually accessing.
    We do not live in the DC Universe. You and I both know what a retcon is.