Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'd subvert the first kiss by revealing that Saturn Girl wasn't actually his first kiss. He has 6 years we haven't really seen much of. There is a lot you could do with and that's what his USP would be if you would give Teen John a solo.

I reread the run so far and John's the weak link so far. He's not terrible so maybe I'm just impatient with Bendis's long game. He's setting up something with Mon-el that I just want to get to.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-30-2020 at 10:14 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Well, Bendis did say that even though he doesn't want to "push that button" too many times, we will be getting some more of Jon's Earth-3 adventures looked into.

It's even possible that Imra might be how we do that? Back when the UP was being voted in, she speaks to him telepathically and says that she knows that no one else really appreciates what he had to go through to get there.

And as far as Jon in this book? I find him to fluctuate based off how much a scene or issue is specifically about him. Like, the start of issue 1, the end of issue 2 and all his scenes in issue 3 are really where he sort of lights up early on. Issue 3 in particular is a really great and relatable character moment. He's in this new and more responsibility filled environment, but the gravity of the situation and the change is totally lost on him. So much so that the very first thing he thinks he should do is go and get his old childhood friend to join up. It's like going off to college or getting your first Big Boy Job, yet still falling back into familiar childish habits and thinking that **** will fly. Damian is *literally* not compatible with Jon's new life, and that's shown when he passes out from breathing in 31st century air, and Jon not taking that into account.

Jon's arc has been consistently about his reluctance to grow up. This is shown from the very first moment in MOS #1 when he's in his old Superboy outfit and realizes it no longer fits him because he's growing out of it. And that reluctance is based in the very relatable fear of The Unknown Future or The Worst Case Future. You see the potential worst case, so you think why not just live safe and known perpetual past of childhood. This is all further underscored by Lobo coming in, calling Jon Superman, Jon insisting on being called Superboy, and Lobo saying that manhood/adulthood isn't like a light switch or some certificate you're awarded, but rather it's a choice you make. Even his constant assumption that his dad or granddad would come and save him on Earth-3 is actually what lead to his imprisonment lasting longer than it should've, and he even talks about how he felt bad it took him that long to work up the grit to think of his escape. Fast forward to him with the Legion, and now there are these kids looking to him for inspiration the same way he looked to his dad, and you can see that he's still uncomfortable with the idea. That's why he corrects the UP president in issue 7 when she calls him Superman.

But since Jon has yet to have a whole book to himself in this era, it's a story that has to be told in instalments and with subtlety so as not to make it Jon Kent featuring the Legion.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'm almost crying from those throwback costumes. I quite love the old Dawnstar so it's s great nod for me.
    I also love Dawnstar's original outfit. I wish she had feather wings in her new look -- even if they don't seem practical for space travel.