Default Suicide Squad #9 spoilers/discussion

I can’t blame people for not talking about this, given how big Speed Metal is after. However this has some big reveals itself and also the death of Deadshot....it’s literally on the cover and they announced it, so don’t look at me like I ruined something. However the ending is probably a tad confusing so I’m going to do a separate spoiler box just to help people out.

Alright so basically if I’m summing things up the Suicide Squad/Revolutionaries storm the castle to get at “Ted Kord” for running Task Force X and a number of other personal grievances. However once they get to him wouldn’t you know it Superman took care of it and has Ted bound and gagged. After some discussion most of the team except for Deadshot leave.

spoilers in bound:
    spoilers:
    Deadshot asks Superman for his autograph, for his daughter who is with him earlier in the issue. He does so and that’s when Floyd lets it known he knows it’s not Superman, because he never gave him his Daughters name which he signed to the autograph.

As he attempts to warn the team he gets shot through the chest and Superman turns into Black Mask who then shoots Floyd through the head and out the window with the bound Ted Kord.
    end of spoilers

Alright now to explain that a bit because some people are going “huh?”

spoilers:
    Last year was Year of the villain, remember when Lex gave villains upgrades after working for Perpetua. Well Black Mask got a one-shot that was written by Tom Taylor where Lex gave him a new mask that let him shapeshift. In other words, the Ted Kord we have been seeing this whole time is likely Black Mask and he busted out the real Ted Kord for when the Suicide Squad came for him.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Thanks dude.

Still have a couple of questions, but maybe they'l get answered next issue.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I have been loving every issue of this series so far.

I haven't enjoyed a Suicide Squad series this much since Ostrander. I'm really disappointed there's only a couple issues to go but it's been a fun read and I'm always grateful for that.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm going to regret sleeping on this series, aren't I? Taylor usually turns in solid work but it's just been stuff that hasn't worked for me (Injustice, DCeased, etc) so I decided to sit out.

Every month I keep hearing I'm a bonehead for doing so.

Extraordinary Member

This was not a great issue imo, if you kill of an major character like Deadshot it should be more epic imo.

spoilers:
    And that Mr. "I fell on the head as a newborn and was bitten by a rabid racoon" was able to do it ...
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm going to regret sleeping on this series, aren't I? Taylor usually turns in solid work but it's just been stuff that hasn't worked for me (Injustice, DCeased, etc) so I decided to sit out.

Every month I keep hearing I'm a bonehead for doing so.
    I mean that is purely a personal choice based off your feelings of one’s writings, no argument here if you decided to skip out on that reason.

Now that said what I think may make this stand out from Injustice or DCeased is that this isn’t a whole DC universe story that’s reacting to a big shake up nor involves the death of beloved characters.....well okay except for this issue. It’s predominantly a pretty self contained series (except for the Flash annual story) that focuses mainly on the new characters Taylor made (the Revolutionaries) and the mystery surrounding what Ted Kord is up to in this series; and also a little bit of exploring of Deadshot.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Thanks for the theory and explanation. I've been scratching my head about Ted Kord in this series for a while now, thats an interesting idea!

My reaction to the great reveal in this issue at 0:35 of this video:

Just replace "Captain New Japan" with spoilers:
    Black Mask
    end of spoilers

I'm not even mad about spoilers:
    Deadshot
    end of spoilers's supposed untimely (and totally idiotic) demise. He had been written so out of character from issue #1 onwards that it felt exactly like one of Tom Taylor's half-baked OC's biting the dust.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    This was not a great issue imo, if you kill of an major character like Deadshot it should be more epic imo.

spoilers:
    And that Mr. "I fell on the head as a newborn and was bitten by a rabid racoon" was able to do it ...
    end of spoilers
    He has died so often in suicide squad, not a big deal

Astonishing Member

So in the thick of Luthor-Villain-Whatever last year, in the midst of the P.R. for Harley Quinn and the Fantabulous But Not Very Birds of Prey-like Birds of Prey Featuring Ewan McGregor as a hip new riff on The Black Mask, an 80s villain from the Jason Todd era who after a handful of general "group shot" appearances in the 1990s was sort of the "surprise he's the big villain now!" hostile takeover guy during the Brubaker/Catwoman years ... only to be killed and replaced with a Black Mask II ... only to be brought back ... only to be blah blah on we go ...

Anyway, is he mandated to use these movie tie-in synergy characters?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I’ve never been a big fan of Black Mask in the comics but I loved Ewen’s version in BoP. I would be totally down if they gave him some similar characteristics.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’ve never been a big fan of Black Mask in the comics but I loved Ewen’s version in BoP. I would be totally down if they gave him some similar characteristics.
    Much like with Aquaman, that's mostly the actor's charisma. On-paper and without them selling it, I don't think it translates super well. Honestly, I'd prefer if Roman lost the gimmick and was called that for some other reason and instead was the last "normal" crime boss in Gotham who kept up with the usual rogues, actually intimidating them because he's just that ruthless. It'd certainly give him his niche.