27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wonder Woman (2009)

13 48.15%
  • Wonder Woman: Bloodlines

14 51.85%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Even if it was the real Medusa, it's not necessarily inaccurate to portray her as a monster. The earliest versions of the myth had her and her sisters born monstrous with the stone gaze. Later versions added a consensual affair with Poseidon in Athena's temple. Ovid's Metamorphosis seems to be the first version to turn the affair into a rape, whereas before she was not meant to be sympathetic in the two prior versions.

I think a WW story that tackles the Ovid version could be very interesting, but I think if Medusa is used as a villain (and she's a cool one), then using one of the earlier versions like Rucka did is valid.
    I've only ever heard of the last version, so the other two you've shared were enlightening. Honest question, is there a version where she is cursed by Aphrodite for being more beautiful than her, or is that another cursed woman? I vaguely remember such a story in my mythology class but that was years (more than I would like to share) ago.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I've only ever heard of the last version, so the other two you've shared were enlightening. Honest question, is there a version where she is cursed by Aphrodite for being more beautiful than her, or is that another cursed woman? I vaguely remember such a story in my mythology class but that was years (more than I would like to share) ago.
    No, I've heard of that one too. Can't remember where, and it seems to be much less common than other versions.

I've also always wondered how Stheno and Euryale got turned into monsters as well. It makes more sense in the oldest version when all three were born that way, but less so with the Poseidon stuff. Did they try to help cover up the affair (or rape)? Rucka depicted them as not being snake haired and stone gaze-y, but that doesn't seem to mesh with the myths or even with their prior appearances in WW.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I haven't come across a specific version where Aphrodite takes Athena's place but Aphrodite has plenty of stories to her name where she curses hubristic mortals for comparing their beauty to hers or out of jealousy. So easy to get some wires crossed over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    No, I've heard of that one too. Can't remember where, and it seems to be much less common than other versions.

I've also always wondered how Stheno and Euryale got turned into monsters as well. It makes more sense in the oldest version when all three were born that way, but less so with the Poseidon stuff. Did they try to help cover up the affair (or rape)? Rucka depicted them as not being snake haired and stone gaze-y, but that doesn't seem to mesh with the myths or even with their prior appearances in WW.
    In some versions, Stheno and Euryale are punished and turned into Gorgons for standing with Medusa, along with giving them the snake-hair and stone-eyes powers. Probably as part of an attempt to reconcile with the earlier versions.

Extraordinary Member

Getting back to Bloodlines itself, I will say the thing that brought it down a point to me was the depiction of Julia. She seemed to be running for the award for “Worst biological parent in an animated feature.”

On the positive side though, I was happy the title had nothing to do with Zeus. In fact, regarding Diana’s powers he is never mentioned. Instead Steve refers to her as “blessed by the gods.”
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Getting back to Bloodlines itself, I will say the thing that brought it down a point to me was the depiction of Julia. She seemed to be running for the award for “Worst biological parent in an animated feature.”

On the positive side though, I was happy the title had nothing to do with Zeus. In fact, regarding Diana’s powers he is never mentioned. Instead Steve refers to her as “blessed by the gods.”
    Yes, the lack of Zeus is both surprising and nice considering the setup with the title.

Both Julia and Hippolyta weren't well served here.

Yeah, given the title I expected some of sort Azzarello New 52 adaptation.

When amusingly it seemed to try to adapt elements from all but Azz’s run of Diana’s major writers (Rucka, Perez, Jimenez).
    Last edited by Gaius; 11-16-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, given the title I expected some of sort Azzarello New 52 adaptation.

When amusingly it seemed to try to adapt elements from all but Azz’s run of Diana’s major writers (Rucka, Perez, Jimenez).
    I would actually love to see a Gods of Gotham adaptation, if it stayed true to the original material.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

After rewatching the Bloodlines movie and seeing it in the context of the order of the nu52 movies, I appreciate the movie better. She seems to be as powerful as I expect her to be and it blows my mind, but she can fly!

I think I would rather have Susan Eisenberg as a voice as I hear her most of the time through the animated movies, but Rosario Dawson ain't bad.

They still have to do something about the rogues she fights, because Giganta and Cheetah don't seem like much of a threat to her, and they had to steroid them both up, especially Cheetah, for them to have a chance against her. They need to mix it up and give her threats like a Mongul or a Lobo or something to that effect. Just my opinion.

Don't know if we will get another solo from her in this universe after the Justice League Dark Apokolips story.

I would actually love to see a Gods of Gotham adaptation, if it stayed true to the original material.
    That'd be neat. An adaptation could also be used to correct some mistakes like having the story actually effect the entire city rather than just a building in Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    After rewatching the Bloodlines movie and seeing it in the context of the order of the nu52 movies, I appreciate the movie better. She seems to be as powerful as I expect her to be and it blows my mind, but she can fly!

I think I would rather have Susan Eisenberg as a voice as I hear her most of the time through the animated movies, but Rosario Dawson ain't bad.

They still have to do something about the rogues she fights, because Giganta and Cheetah don't seem like much of a threat to her, and they had to steroid them both up, especially Cheetah, for them to have a chance against her. They need to mix it up and give her threats like a Mongul or a Lobo or something to that effect. Just my opinion.

Don't know if we will get another solo from her in this universe after the Justice League Dark Apokolips story.
    We probably will, and it will probably also star Batman and he will be given MUCH better treatment. Seems Warner is MOST interested in making money, not providing fans with movies that fulfill our heart's desires.

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    We probably will, and it will probably also star Batman and he will be given MUCH better treatment. Seems Warner is MOST interested in making money, not providing fans with movies that fulfill our heart's desires.
    I think the Justice Society movie next year is going to be headlined by Diana.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I, like many others felt Bloodlines was WAY too overstuffed. Elements from Perez, Jimenez and Rucka all crammed into one 80 minute movie. Julia was a terrible mom, Dr. Poison, Dr. Cyber, Giganta and Cheetah were wasted. The twist I saw coming a mile away, but I was interested in seeing where they took the story from here. I'm really bummed that we won't be getting a sequel. Talk about a loss of potenial.