Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Soooo that's a NO
    As a matter of fact, yes, that’s a no.

I don’t need to read Hickman’s run (mostly because the reading is unpleasant) to know that the mutants have no equivalent in our world and that their powers disqualify them as a metaphor for anything.

If you need to talk to about minorities, you talk about these minorities, you don’t need to speak in metaphors.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Excatatiously, KBee911
    On the one hand I can understand the desire to see our real world reflected in the pages, as I personally perceive it to be but...I cannot forget (nor do I ever want to) that this is a fictional world built on the imaginations of just a few very creative people with ideas all their own.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    As a matter of fact, yes, that’s a no.

I don’t need to read Hickman’s run (mostly because the reading is unpleasant) to know that the mutants have no equivalent in our world and that their powers disqualify them as a metaphor for anything.

If you need to talk to about minorities, you talk about these minorities, you don’t need to speak in metaphors.
    Idk how I feel about that. Sometimes metaphors can be really powerful when it comes to introducing a concept to people who aren’t familiar and for addressing important issues with a little less doom and gloom.

For example, Zootopia is a really great racism metaphor for young people but it obviously doesn’t work too well if you think about it logically for a while (and that’s okay).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I honestly think some of the guys here would say to Jews "Israel is a bad idea, You guys need to stay in Germany and learn how to coexist with the Germans during ww2". Obviously, it is not one a one to comparison they are some reaches in it but it clearly highlights the point that needs to be made from time to time here.

Some people are so in love with the fantasy of what the x-men represent that they ignore what is happening in the world and ignore that the real cost to certain things happening. One man got killed by police in real life(yes they are more factors and other events that fuel it) and Black people around the world protested injustice. But Inside a fantasy world where they pass laws to sterilize them as people and people were getting pick up by the US government for being a mutant some people are shocked that Mutants go "Nah we are going just chill on this island where we are safer". And oh yeah the island has been attacked /invaded three times by humans, Nevermind that this world Russia and Brazil have active policies against mutants.
    Well as far as I know Jews don't ban non-Jewish people from entering Israel like mutants ban non-mutants from entering Krakoa. Although mutants have no compunction about entering other countries, it reeks of hypocrisy. I wonder; what would mutants do if the rest of the world baned them from coming to their countries, basically said to them keep your drugs and stay on your island. How would that over, would mutants accept that or violate the edict?

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Well as far as I know Jews don't ban non-Jewish people from entering Israel like mutants ban non-mutants from entering Krakoa. Although mutants have no compunction about entering other countries, it reeks of hypocrisy. I wonder; what would mutants do if the rest of the world baned them from coming to their countries, basically said to them keep your drugs and stay on your island. How would that over, would mutants accept that or violate the edict?
    Well that wouldn't happen for a number of reasons but it would simply start the war that is coming anyway.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Idk how I feel about that. Sometimes metaphors can be really powerful when it comes to introducing a concept to people who aren’t familiar and for addressing important issues with a little less doom and gloom.

For example, Zootopia is a really great racism metaphor for young people but it obviously doesn’t work too well if you think about it logically for a while (and that’s okay).
    The most interesting thing about this thread for me is the lack of appreciation for what a metaphor is. The term 1:1 metaphor is weird to me. At that point, just read non-fiction books about racism and discrimination.

I cant really add to anything that has been said the past several pages. But this has been a lot of fun to read the debate on here. Even more so since everyone has been civil.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    The most interesting thing about this thread for me is the lack of appreciation for what a metaphor is. The term 1:1 metaphor is weird to me. At that point, just read non-fiction books about racism and discrimination.
    Exactatiously.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I cant really add to anything that has been said the past several pages. But this has been a lot of fun to read the debate on here. Even more so since everyone has been civil.
    That's something I'm glad for as well.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    met·a·phor
    /ˈmedəˌfôr,ˈmedəˌfər/

a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, especially something abstract.

In regards to the thread topic, I concluded, from the OP, that if the X-franchise were to focus more on the racial minority metaphor, possibly sidelining white X-Men (because of course in the US whites are not a minority), it would eliminate any symbolism and just make the racial minority angle blatant, and at the expense of other metaphorical interpretations. At least, that's what I meant when I used the "1:1 metaphor".

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    It's pretty refreshing.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    First I going to quote myself
    Obviously, it is not one a one to comparison they are some reaches in it but it clearly highlights the point that needs to be made from time to time here
    It was a statement build to show a point but clearly Israel wasn't built directly during World War 2 and the Holocaust or it is position to need to be set up like Krakoa. The statement was built show that people casual ignore the injustices in the mutants and the X-men. How insane it is at times that people talk about humans coming to Krakoa like mutants don't have a reason not have ONE tiny safe space away from humans. If Israel in the form it is now was around during WW2 do you think they wouldn't blanket ban every German?

As to your question? What would mutants do if the world banned them? Live happily ever after while they wait for humanity to self destruct. You don't seem to get that is point of Krakoa a place where mutants can be safe from humans who would do the type of crap like ban mutants and in fact Humans tried to genetically remove all mutants from existing in Uncanny before Krakoa.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-19-2020 at 10:38 PM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    met·a·phor
    /ˈmedəˌfôr,ˈmedəˌfər/

a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, especially something abstract.

In regards to the thread topic, I concluded, from the OP, that if the X-franchise were to focus more on the racial minority metaphor, possibly sidelining white X-Men (because of course in the US whites are not a minority), it would eliminate any symbolism and just make the racial minority angle blatant, and at the expense of other metaphorical interpretations. At least, that's what I meant when I used the "1:1 metaphor".
    They can just read "Black" for that.
    "Cable was right!"

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Two things:

Firstly, I'm not really sure what's particularly controversial about the notion of the discrimination metaphor taking somewhat of a hit with mutantkind getting their own Wakanda thanks to convenient retcons.

Secondly, I'm not really sure either what's particularly controversial about the notion of the discrimination metaphor having been used as more of a jumping point than an ongoing narrative concern and taking somewhat of a backseat to the crazy sci-fi stuff. Doesn't that sum up many, many past X-Men runs anyway?

I think the thing that bothered me with the mutant hate was how wide spread it was. Like 99 percent of the humans I have seen in the comics, (Random crowd, government etc..) Not only hated the mutants to what seemed like an unreasonable degree and were perfectly okay with the mass murder of mutants. Like I dont think Jane housewife in Idaho would really really feel strongly about mutants. Yet it was always they are a threat lets kill them all. Granted it wasnt all the time but there were times it was just so over the top.

I mean the every day people in New York forming mobs to go after mutants. An issue I read with a kid in Indiana who turned out to be a mutant and all the people he has known his whole life and family chasing him down and trying to kill him. Its just too much at times.
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-20-2020 at 09:31 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    They can just read "Black" for that.
    Good, well, there you go.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.