Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cure...

BANNED

Default The Cure...

What is your position about a "cure" for being a mutant? This is a work of fiction, but if being a mutant is down to your DNA I don't think that a "cure" should exist anymore than there should be something that makes everyone's eyes the same color.

Gases, inhibitor collars, viruses, and a shot that makes you "normal" just shouldn't be so easy. I know it's all BS anyway to give another threat to mutants, but it seems like an easy cop out. At any given moment there might not be mutants...this happens about every 5 years and it's boring.

In a vacuum, it works for drama.

Working away from the metaphors and such, there are some mutants who would benefit from the Cure and it should be there choice to take it or not. WHich sucks cause, the Cure is NEVER used for mostly humanitarian efforts but for slow burn or wide attack extinction.

I'd like to see a miniseries(noncanon) where the X-men have sole access to the Cure and must decide on the distribution.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Gases, inhibitor collars, viruses, and a shot that makes you "normal" just shouldn't be so easy. I know it's all BS anyway to give another threat to mutants, but it seems like an easy cop out.
    I took it as an affectionate shout-out to Beast's previous science-related screw-ups.

Extraordinary Member

Some mutants would want the cure because their mutations suck. We've seen people with powers that turned them into trees, that murdered everyone around them, and other powers that just made their lives impossible. It's insane and cruel not to give these people a choice if you can.

I agree, I wish we could just see a series where someone made a cure and let mutants decide if they wanted it or not.

The obsession with the cure when it's not even a concept you can go too far with lest you end the franchise and there are other, more interesting things to do and say with science and X-genes is baffling. It's literally just an invisible menace that at most just shrinks the world. The questions it raises have already been asked.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I'm a system where the government can be trusted, I believe there should be power dampeners or serums that can switch off the shelf gene made available, for anyone who wishes to deactivate their x-gene.

Not everyone wins the genetic lottery with their mutant powers. Forget me not can never be remembered, that kid that kills everyone in a 12 mile radius just by existing, that kid whose power is to explode once and die, Rogue who could kill anyone she touches, Glob is Glob.

In a perfect world, they should all get the chance to decide. Also adding to the fact that Mutant powers can be dangerous, and mutant terrorists should probably be depowered.

Imagine a world where every child is screened at birth for the x-gene, then you has his genes mapped out and put in simulations to see the possible mutations that will develop, then at the age of 10, the gene is artificially activated under controlled conditions to prevent widespread damage. Then you can have power dampeners and suppression medicine for those who don't find their mutations favorable. This would be interesting in a world like AOX, AoA, HoM or AOXman

Hut in the current 616 marvel universe? No. It's too dangerous and will definitely to used to decimate the mutant race. It would eventually be force on people, or children at birth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    What is your position about a "cure" for being a mutant? This is a work of fiction, but if being a mutant is down to your DNA I don't think that a "cure" should exist anymore than there should be something that makes everyone's eyes the same color.

Gases, inhibitor collars, viruses, and a shot that makes you "normal" just shouldn't be so easy. I know it's all BS anyway to give another threat to mutants, but it seems like an easy cop out. At any given moment there might not be mutants...this happens about every 5 years and it's boring.
    Sounds like the ideal storyline to make Sinister and Miss Sinister team up.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The obsession with the cure when it's not even a concept you can go too far with lest you end the franchise and there are other, more interesting things to do and say with science and X-genes is baffling. It's literally just an invisible menace that at most just shrinks the world. The questions it raises have already been asked.
    True, it just seems like one of those concepts that should never actually be brought up seriously in a story since it basically breaks the franchise.

AJpyro and Rosebunse explained in a more eloquent and less verbose manner lol

Extraordinary Member

Any sort of power dampener in any setting is pretty much fantasy, magic. As for a mutant cure, the one I could see maybe being believable is one administered before puberty or the onset of development of mutant powers, by somehow attacking/suppressing the x-gene.

I’ve never been a big fan of these types of questions. To me it’s just odd that we can accept that a person can shoot lasers out of their face or read a mind but messing with dna to stop these abilities is a step too far out of reality. I suppose to answer the question I’m fine with a “cure” being a reality as much as I’m fine with some dude being able to turn his skin into steel. Maybe I’m missing the point but it’s just how I feel about fiction.

Edit: I do agree for the most part a one shot “cure” makes for a boring story that has been done to death. Astonishing X-Men used it best imho because it tied into a much larger narrative.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I’ve never been a big fan of these types of questions. To me it’s just odd that we can accept that a person can shoot lasers out of their face or read a mind but messing with dna to stop these abilities is a step too far out of reality. I suppose to answer the question I’m fine with a “cure” being a reality as much as I’m fine with some dude being able to turn his skin into steel. Maybe I’m missing the point but it’s just how I feel about fiction.

Edit: I do agree for the most part a one shot “cure” makes for a boring story that has been done to death. Astonishing X-Men used it best imho because it tied into a much larger narrative.
    I'm not sure we think it's outside of reality so much as how it's used seems unrealistic and contrived.

A cure taken by choice could give rise to new challenges, like a newfound mutant supremacy movement or an anti-mutant group criticizing mutantkind as a bad life-style choice. Not that I can think of a writer that could pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I'm not sure we think it's outside of reality so much as how it's used seems unrealistic and contrived.
    That’s my point though, how can eye lasers be realistic but the cure and how it’s administered is unrealistic? If anything the cure is more realistic than most power sets mutants have. DNA manipulation is a real thing in the real world, telepathy is not. Again I do agree that it makes for a boring story more often than not, or contrived, whatever term you want to use.

Like I mentioned this is a personal gripe for me. I can understand you finding it boring and lazy but why do we draw the line here on what is possible in this completely fictional universe.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    That’s my point though, how can eye lasers be realistic but the cure and how it’s administered is unrealistic? If anything the cure is more realistic than most power sets mutants have. DNA manipulation is a real thing in the real world, telepathy is not. Again I do agree that it makes for a boring story more often than not, or contrived, whatever term you want to use.

Like I mentioned this is a personal gripe for me. I can understand you finding it boring and lazy but why do we draw the line here on what is possible in this completely fictional universe.
    The problem, however, is that it sort of breaks the franchise. Suddenly, being a mutant is a real choice, which sort of goes against what the X-Men are about. I mean, the mutants with creepy or weird powers would just cure themselves, leaving the mutants with cool powers and the ones who can integrate into society.

We're not arguing against the technology to make the cure, just how you can implement a cure into the story.