Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Rage in Sam Wilson's Cap America says HI.
    Rocket Racer in Spider-Man say HI.
    Prodigy before he was found by New Mutants say HI.
    Monica says hi and she SAVED some racists.
    Oh sh!t tell them I said "Whats poppin'?"
    But I was referring to the specific hero's the poster mentioned which just so happened to be white

Let Luke Cage show up to a protest (not to protest but to help keep the peace) how fast does he get drilled with bullets versus Hawkeye?

Let folks find out Spider-Man Junior is a black kid-how fast do you suddenly see a mass attack of black boys? And YES this story has happened before-it was in Tim Drake's book where white black haired boys were being killed in an attempt to find Robin.

The double standards of reaction would be in full effect.
    It probby wouldn't bother Luke bCage since he's bullet proof AND
    I doubt they'd to a story where a buncha black boys are getting killed in an attempt to stop Miles Morales... don't think Marvel iwould be that obtuse and tone deaf

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I think you bring up the great point that the X-Men cannot ever reach their natural conclusion which would bring the minority metaphor full circle.

This blog post brings up the fact that if the X-Men are willing to challenge and overthrow the Genoshan government for oppressing mutants, then why aren't they able to do the same with the United States government? https://www.houseofx.org/blog/welcome-to-genosha
    I can think of 2 right now
    1.) Genosha is waaaay smaller than the US
    2.) Genosha didn't know a buncha heros living there
    As part of the ongoing Marvel universe the X-Men will never be able to fully integrate OR overthrow oppressive systems, thus they're trapped in this endless cycle that doesn't allow the minority metaphor to go any deeper or gain some sort of resolution.
    why does their struggle have to have been concluded by now? Are we any closer to ending our own discrimination problem? Has evil been almost erraticated in the Avengers or Captain America or etc. Books? And if you can't see how the status quo that comes with the formation of KraKoa is the natural progression of the last 20 years of the 616 Mutants narrative then.....
    GrindrStone(D)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Rage in Sam Wilson's Cap America says HI.
    Rocket Racer in Spider-Man say HI.
    Prodigy before he was found by New Mutants say HI.
    Monica says hi and she SAVED some racists.

Minority heroes can't hide their skin color.

Imagine the react if Cyborg went to the Michigan capital to protect the governor from those guys who waltz in there demanding the state be open so they can get hair cuts?

Let Luke Cage show up to a protest (not to protest but to help keep the peace) how fast does he get drilled with bullets versus Hawkeye?

Let folks find out Spider-Man Junior is a black kid-how fast do you suddenly see a mass attack of black boys? And YES this story has happened before-it was in Tim Drake's book where white black haired boys were being killed in an attempt to find Robin.

The double standards of reaction would be in full effect.
    Could happen soon in Outlawed, if not already, since as of the preview for Magnificent Ms. Marvel #15, a CRADLE agent floated the idea of searching for or rounding up 15-20-year-old South Asian girls to find Ms. Marvel's civilian identity. He got shut down by Dum Dum Dugan, who called it out as racial profiling and warned using such tactics would just result in (more) community unrest. Concerning Spider-Man, CRADLE agents already went down to Miles Morales's school trying to track down Spider-Man, who was recently seen there in battle with the Ultimate Green Goblin, and also made a number of the students and faculty sign a pledge to assist CRADLE in tracking and reporting "unauthorized" youth vigilantism under threat of not being able to participate in extracurriculars, or worse, being outright arrested.

I think you bring up the great point that the X-Men cannot ever reach their natural conclusion which would bring the minority metaphor full circle.

This blog post brings up the fact that if the X-Men are willing to challenge and overthrow the Genoshan government for oppressing mutants, then why aren't they able to do the same with the United States government? https://www.houseofx.org/blog/welcome-to-genosha

As part of the ongoing Marvel universe the X-Men will never be able to fully integrate OR overthrow oppressive systems, thus they're trapped in this endless cycle that doesn't allow the minority metaphor to go any deeper or gain some sort of resolution.
    They can't overthrow the United States government because there are too many nonmutant (and some mutant) superheroes who would forcefully object to such a course of action and it would backfire into (even more) justifications for anti-mutant genocide. Hell, it's been done before, by the heroic Squadron Supreme in their seminal 12-issue maxiseries from the 1980s, or the Authority from DC/Wildstorm, and in both cases, an attempt by literal superhumans to impose their sense of justice and right on everyone else in the country, to say nothing of the world, ultimately backfired horribly because as appealing as it sounds, human nature just doesn't work like that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They can't overthrow the United States government because there are too many nonmutant (and some mutant) superheroes who would forcefully object to such a course of action and it would backfire into (even more) justifications for anti-mutant genocide. Hell, it's been done before, by the heroic Squadron Supreme in their seminal 12-issue maxiseries from the 1980s, or the Authority from DC/Wildstorm, and in both cases, an attempt by literal superhumans to impose their sense of justice and right on everyone else in the country, to say nothing of the world, ultimately backfired horribly because as appealing as it sounds, human nature just doesn't work like that.
    LOL, what? I for one don't want my superhuman "betters" to make decisions for me.

The natural progression for the X-Men is integration, I'd like to see that at some point. Not gonna hold my breath though.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    LOL, what? I for one don't want my superhuman "betters" to make decisions for me.

The natural progression for the X-Men is integration, I'd like to see that at some point. Not gonna hold my breath though.
    I meant that it would sound appealing, generally speaking, to think yourself and your own sense of justice and right so absolute and certain that you not only could, but should take over a society and reshape it to your own liking, self-assured that it would be for the greater good and benefit of everyone in said society. Unfortunately, that sort of mindset only leads to the worst sorts of atrocities and other abuses.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I do feel the mutant discrimination metaphor does kinda get contradicted by the whole "You have new gods now" type stuff of Krakoa.

(Mutants being the dominant species being a statistical inevitability isn't per se the same as the idea of mutants being genetically superior)
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 10-08-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I do feel the mutant discrimination metaphor does kinda get contradicted by the whole "You have new gods now" type stuff of Krakoa.
    Oh Mutants can't be boisterous with their confidence and pride....ok
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Oh Mutants can't be boisterous with their confidence and pride....ok
    That's a bit different than them declaring themselves gods but ok

Real life minorities aren't waiting out the days to overthrow a majority they view as genetically inferior to themselves.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 10-08-2020 at 04:45 PM.

I meant that it would sound appealing, generally speaking, to think yourself and your own sense of justice and right so absolute and certain that you not only could, but should take over a society and reshape it to your own liking, self-assured that it would be for the greater good and benefit of everyone in said society. Unfortunately, that sort of mindset only leads to the worst sorts of atrocities and other abuses.
    Phew, glad we're on the same page.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Real life minorities aren't waiting out the days to overthrow a majority they view as genetically inferior to themselves.
    Sure. Of course not.
    GrindrStone(D)

Phew, glad we're on the same page.
    Yeah, sorry for the miscommunication there.

Yeah, sorry for the miscommunication there.
    No, sorry, I'm sure it was me. My reading comprehension is suffering a debuff this month.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

No, sorry, I'm sure it was me. My reading comprehension is suffering a debuff this month.
    Hahaha is that from....MCoC???
    GrindrStone(D)

It's cool.

That's a bit different than them declaring themselves gods but ok

Yeah, declaring themselves gods over humanity is more than a bit extreme, even though I personally see that as a rather understandable backlash to being constantly dehumanized and demonized by humanity just for existing as something different, something else, something "other" than human.

It's cool.

Yeah, declaring themselves gods over humanity is more than a bit extreme, even though I personally see that as a rather understandable backlash to being constantly dehumanized and demonized by humanity just for existing as something different, something else, something "other" than human.
    A lotta folks seem disturbed by this....I forreals wanna know Why?
    Do you think Magneto is claiming Mutants have some sort of Divinity now? That humans should pray to them?
    I took it as he was intentionally being provocative and announcing how "'Big and Bad' KraKoa/Mutants are now so don't Fvck with us"
    When Steve Austin asked 'whos your daddy now' he wasn't implying he was his opponents father, but that he's stronger he's stronger and someone to be respected or they'd be repercussions
    Liiike when John Lennon said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus he wasn't declaring them as sons of God and the pathway to salvation. Just that culturally the Beatles were on top. Onc4 KraKoa is embedded into the cultural Zeitgeist it'd likely prove Magneto was right. I could easily see the celebrity/pro Athlete worship here in America get transferred to the mutants and their mystery island.
    GrindrStone(D)

It's cool.
    Yeah, it's as extreme a statement one people can declare to another. Especially when it was forced into every human and mutant mind on the planet. A world where benevolent superiority protects their silly, primitive lessers from a holy, inaccessible land where they all live . It's very obvious Hickman was going for a literal comparison with Gods from other pantheons, whose abuse and murder of humans is as common as dirt. That's why I pointed out in a prior thread that the leadership of Krakoa is operating with mutant supremacy as their goal.

It's stuff like this and rich, white, blonde, conventionally attractive Emma Frost being used as acceptable counterparts for real world discrimination against minorities rubs me the wrong way. It seems like there is a prime opportunity for intersectionality to be brought in.