Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Anybody know of a 1974 Spider-Man vs. Kraven fan film?

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...3,1000_AL_.jpg
    spider-man-fan-film-2.jpg
    spider-man-fan-film-3.jpg

I first heard about this about 8 years ago and ever since then it occasionally pops up in my head. It's like the great white whale of my Spider-Man fandom- the one fabled thing I absolutely want to see one day, this thing hardly anybody's aware of that's probably locked away in a vault somewhere never to be seen but I sometimes find myself aimlessly chasing after any other information about it.

If you've never heard of it before, the attached page from FOOM magazine is one of the only documentations of this film. Said film is a 30 minute student film produced at NYU, 16mm, full color, and directed by Bruce Cardozo that adapts Amazing Spider-Man #15 with some changes. They sought Stan Lee's approval in making this film, which they got provided it not be used for commercial purposes, and it was shown at the Marvel offices and everybody at Marvel was pretty enthusiastic about the end product. Beyond that, the film was screened at various comic conventions and film festivals over the years, seemingly last in 2005. The director was against putting the film online, and I'm really not sure why.

There's a bit of conflicting information out there about this online and I've personally heard different things from reaching out to folks. I heard in a podcast Dan Poole (Green Goblin's Last Stand fan film director) had an email exchange with Bruce Cardozo around 2004 and he refused sending a copy to anyone, but he said he'd show it to anyone if they came by LA. The podcast interview with Dan Poole mentioned he heard in the movie Spidey had a New York accent, which wouldn't really be done til Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland sometimes incorporating New York accents into their performances. I've heard he didn't want to put it online because he was embarrassed by it. I've also heard he didn't want to put it online because it might show Hollywood how to do it right. Bruce Cardozo went on to have a career in the film industry working on many movies as a VFX artist, including The Avengers movie. I'm not sure how to decipher why he didn't want some recognition for this movie as Mr. Cardozo unfortunately passed away five years ago.

The film would show a pretty comic accurate JJJ, an actor who fit the part of Peter Parker, a Ditko-esque Spidey outfit, the Spider-Signal, Kraven the Hunter, no Chameleon a la ASM#15, a bunch of lions, Kraven poisoning Spidey to get the edge on him instead of the funky magentic trap, Gwen Stacy added to the story, big building facades lying on the floor for Spidey to climb on (like what was done in the Raimi movies), big colorful matte backgrounds of New York to achieve the feeling of Spidey swinging through NY, colorful art direction. As a die-hard fan of the Lee/Ditko run, this thing has always sounded like a dream to me, just bringing that magic to life unabashedly.

The thing for me is official or not, it's a cool lost artifact in the character's history as well as for the history of the genre on film. Seeing a semi-professional live action Spidey that early in the character's history with some production value behind it along with passion for the source material seems like it would be a special thing and it's a real shame we'll likely never get to see it or that hardly anybody has really even been aware it exists.

Let me know if you've heard of this thing before! Let's spread some awareness about this fun project!
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 09-26-2020 at 10:27 PM.

I know I've heard about it before so I went to google it to see if I could find anything else out about it.

It has a wiki page! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider...ven_the_Hunter

Apparently it was last shown in 2005 and they had plans to release it to the public somehow, but the creator died before it could happen.

JJJ looks...odd! Kinda like a puffy Joe Mantegna.

There is an episode of the old Incredible Hulk series called the Snare where a Hunter tricks David to come to his island because David proved his intelligence when playing Chest and now the guy wants to hunt him and becomes more obsessed once he sees the Hulk. I always thought they should had named the character Kravenoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    There is an episode of the old Incredible Hulk series called the Snare where a Hunter tricks David to come to his island because David proved his intelligence when playing Chest and now the guy wants to hunt him and becomes more obsessed once he sees the Hulk. I always thought they should had named the character Kravenoff.
    That would have been a great Easter egg for comics fans.

Still searching for it, just this week we've gotten 4 color stills from the film finally.

U1uHym81IDSwMMC3AfSY8Bz8CnJAQpAFbUq__E4rQpI.jpg

Really would love to see this thing someday, I'm a big oldschool Spidey fan and I always enjoy old fan films so this'd be like the best of both worlds for me. I just have no idea where any bootleg copies could be floating around, I've seen some recently saying some have existed and it's possible that they just slipped through the cracks. Some random VHS collectors with mountains of bootlegs could be sitting on a copy containing it.

More in-depth info here: https://lostmediawiki.com/Spider-Man...an_film;_1974)