Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Default Red Hood Outlaw #49

https://graphicpolicy.com/2020/09/26...ood-outlaw-49/

Penultimate issue of Lobdell. From the preview I'm guessing that the thing with the Untitled will wrap on the first pages and the rest will be the fallout. It sucks big time that we lost an entire issue of this for the Joker War Crossover.

Not a bad start. I hope it's not too much speed paced; but it probably will be :/.

793/5000
    The cut to Joker War was very abrupt, however Red Hood's # 48 broke my heart, Jason relived his death from another point of view. I don't know what else to expect, Lobdell will not be the best writer but we cannot deny that I raised Jason as a character and has given good arguments and characters for a good story, if they know how to use it, but unfortunately I don't think they do. Everything gives the impression that they will slap us in the face without an Artemis / Jay and they will start a story where they will involve the comic with racial socio-political situations that the USA is experiencing.
    On the other hand, it was interesting to know that Willis was alive, I feel that Lobdell dismissed Solitary very quickly, he was a very interesting character as an enemy, All-Caste all that will possibly be put aside.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

For how rushed this final arc, I think Lobdell finally managed to strike a balance so everything wrapped up in a satisfying matter without feeling like filled with wasted opportunities. The reunion between the Outlaws was short but really sweet, the banted between the two Jasons had me with a smile on my face the entire time and well, the last interaction between Outlaw Jaosn and Roy was lovely if bittersweet. I think I've mentioned before but Lobdell's strengths lie in character dynamics rather than plotting so this issue really shone.

As expected, Bizarro was written out here but in a way that he can be back if some writer wishes but most importantly, he went out like a true hero. A recurrent theme with the cloned Bizarro from the N52, I guess. Pantalena delivered a beautifully drawn story, making me sad that he won't stick around either. He's a very underrated artist.

All in all, a fantastic issue and although I would've loved for this arc to be a little longer, is perfect for a ending. Now to wait for the epilogue.

Me am not crying, you am crying!

spoilers:
    Biz went out like a champ, but hopefully he comes back someday. Bizarro; Zen King of Hell.
    end of spoilers

They need to reunite these Outlaws, ASAP.