Default I think they should do a movie franchise based on Age of Apocalypse

I mean it's one of the best X-Men runs and my favorite version. I feel the true crime of it is how it's been left to collect dust when the entire universe is primed for creating a franchise that can be used for years. I mean hell it'd be a great way to move forward in the MCU and introduce the mutants by having Apocalypse and Sinister activate every human with an X-gene creating chaos across the world and using the confusion to carve out a chunk of the world for themselves. Also it's a fresh way of introducing the X-Men and having Apocalypse as the new big bad would be awesome as he's a credible threat I can absolutely see a movie about his rise to power where he kills the Avengers and decimates the world governments. He's also got potential for being a complex character as I loved reading some of his own stories I remember how he was abandoned for looking different, how his first love rejected him, and I loved this one moment in his fight with Dracula where it's pointed out by his servant that he always kills a decendant that resembles him as part of a sacrifice for waking him early. My point is Apocalypse could potentially make for a long running Antagonist with lots of layers if done right and one could argue he's less extreme then Thanos as his survival of the fittist ideology isn't without merit.

BANNED

Could this be wrong timing? I have said on another thread that because of what is happening in the world with COVID , a studio like Marvel would dive furthered to light hearted escapism, which has always limited the greatness of their films to other more complex mirroring grounded world call backs like X2 or The Dark Knight.

AOA is a dark story line, with a lot of disturbing details, even domestic life like teen Rogue marrying and getting pregnant by Magneto always creeped me out. I know fans have said that was to show how messed up and cruel the AOA world was. Nothing felt right.

I don't see this happening, if we ever get AOA, Marvel will turn the tables, make it more like Thor Ragnarok or the Infinity War/Endgame saga which are more CGI Action driven films with little dramatic story details.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Could this be wrong timing? I have said on another thread that because of what is happening in the world with COVID , a studio like Marvel would dive furthered to light hearted escapism, which has always limited the greatness of their films to other more complex mirroring grounded world call backs like X2 or The Dark Knight.

AOA is a dark story line, with a lot of disturbing details, even domestic life like teen Rogue marrying and getting pregnant by Magneto always creeped me out. I know fans have said that was to show how messed up and cruel the AOA world was. Nothing felt right.

I don't see this happening, if we ever get AOA, Marvel will turn the tables, make it more like Thor Ragnarok or the Infinity War/Endgame saga which are more CGI Action driven films with little dramatic story details.
    I wouldn't say wrong timing if anything I think it'd be a great form of escapism. Also Rogue doesn't have to be a teenager and I don't think she was in the AOA hell they just have to put her in her mid to late 20's or something maybe her 30's. I feel maybe your reading too much into things besides I think people liked Infinity War because of it's dark story line same with Endgame it was on the dark side of things to. I'm hoping they learn from that and use more dark elements in their story telling.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

One of Feige's rules for the MCU Spidey reboot was to avoid villains that had already been used in the previous films. I imagine the approach to the X-Men will be similar. We might see Magneto but he'll likely play a different role, and I highly doubt we see either Apocalypse or the Phoenix anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    One of Feige's rules for the MCU Spidey reboot was to avoid villains that had already been used in the previous films. I imagine the approach to the X-Men will be similar. We might see Magneto but he'll likely play a different role, and I highly doubt we see either Apocalypse or the Phoenix anytime soon.
    I'd be happy if we just get Mr. Sinister.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Sinister seems like a very plausible option. I'd also expect the actual X-Men team will be mostly mutants who either had small roles in previous movies or werent in them at all.

AoA is perhaps the most overrated xover of all. Lobdell and Bachelo's Generation NeXt was the single highlight. The rest was rather trite. I don't think it deserves further adaptation beyond the TAS arc ,'one man's worth', which was better in every way.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I'm going to say no ... but if Marvel ever wanted to do a great animated run with X-men, I think AOA would be a great choice.

I could see

Season 1 - Establish and introduce the X-Men.
    Season 2 - Introduce Bishop, season ends with Xavier dying
    Season 3 - AoA

Otherwise I think AoA has the same issue as Flashpoint does. Making characters be outside the norm has no impact if we have no norm to start. My opinion.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Sinister seems like a very plausible option. I'd also expect the actual X-Men team will be mostly mutants who either had small roles in previous movies or werent in them at all.
    It would be cool if they went to bit more recent roster, rather than the O5/Claremont era lineup because honestly, that was bled dry during the Fox run. At least take it to like Blue/Gold era.
    As for the villains, I want to see Hellfire club done right and done proper. Or perhaps Bastion. I don't want to see Sinister because I really think he sucks.

Doing AU story is hard when you don't have the primary universe set up...

You gotta wonder about the level of enthusiasm and whether it's enough to sustain several more MCU phases.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Age of Apocalypse only works because the characters are well established for decades before we see them being twisted.