Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I like that old SNL sketch where Lois still doesn't know well into their marriage.
    Assassinate Putin!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    If that's the case with Lois, What's the point of being in a relationship with her ??? If they can't be completely honest with each other, which means no secrets!! What's the point??? It's ashame how sex has been de-valued today!! It's like a hand shake, what ashame!!!
    Holding off on sex too long devalues it more, imo.

Anyway... I don't think telling every significant girlfriend would render the secret gone. The latest would definitely be before sex.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    He should never keep his identity secret from
    His close circle. The entire concept of a secret identity is so sleezy to me. He should never keep such a secret from his friends.
    TBH, I see the secret identity thing as being a lot like coming out of the closet. A person's close circle need not be told until the person is ready to tell. It is no one's business to know such things. Ever. There's nothing whatsoever wrong with secrets. They are not lies. And frankly, there's nothing wrong with lies, either, unless they directly hurt a person.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 09-28-2020 at 01:42 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    TBH, I see the secret identity thing as being a lot like coming out of the closet. A person's close circle need not be told until the person is ready to tell. It is no one's business to know such things. Ever. There's nothing whatsoever wrong with secrets. They are not lies. And frankly, there's nothing wrong with lies, either, unless they directly hurt a person.
    That... Doesn't sound like a very Superman thing to say.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    "Do as I say. Not as I do."

~Every parent ever

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    "Do as I say. Not as I do."

~Every parent ever
    That's also the one phrase everyone acknowledges as shitty parenting, so yeah, not a Superman thing to do.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Well, he's human and full of contradictions. He fights justice as well. Yet, he is a vigilante who breaks laws and cars of molesters .

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well it kinda depends on what school of ethics you want to follow. Kant ethics would answer differently than utilitarian ethics yknow? By Kant "what if everyone did this?" standards, Clark likely doesn't have to share the secret until he and Lois are serious about their relationship and a life-long bond/marriage is the obvious destination in both their minds.
    Is'nt kantian ethics deontological? Wouldn't that make clark lying bad from the get go? He isn't being ethical.
    "A categorical imperative binds us regardless of our desires: everyone has a duty to not lie, regardless of circumstances and even if it is in our interest to do so"
    Superhero comics are largely run with kantian ethics. The only guy that judges things based on outcomes is redhood.He is the anti-hero. But, i believe it wasn't before. Charcters fairly balanced ideals,morality and consequences to take action,As most people do.Superman fairly used to do that as well.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-28-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Astonishing Member

This is a surprisingly good analogy.

He should be able to tell anyone and everyone, but the world doesn’t always work like that. Even he has some right to privacy.

Fantastic Member

Holding off on sex too long devalues it more, imo.

Anyway... I don't think telling every significant girlfriend would render the secret gone. The latest would definitely be before sex.
    I disagree with your comments on sex!!

Before Sex he could literally destroy her during the act seems like that risk should be known.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Before Sex he could literally destroy her during the act seems like that risk should be known.
    That never made sense. He can pee and blink without destroying cities. He’s not going to kill her by having sex. That’s just teen horror movie stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That never made sense. He can pee and blink without destroying cities. He’s not going to kill her by having sex. That’s just teen horror movie stuff.
    It's more so him hitting it so hard her bones break, more than the force of his supergasm.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Is'nt kantian ethics deontological? Wouldn't that make clark lying bad from the get go? He isn't being ethical.
    I believe it's deontological yes. Been a minute since I studied philosophy but that sounds right.

And yes Clark is often unethical. Lying about his secret identity I figure is a necessary thing; that being public knowledge could put people at risk and the lie is by far the lesser evil. Same reason why spies and high value military units are kept classified; more people could be hurt by the knowledge than by the secret. But Clark lies about plenty of things even when he doesn't have to, or really shouldn't. He's also a hypocrite about some things, and there's plenty of other flaws and quirks in his personality that make him and his daily choices ethically questionable. Hell, even the act of being Superman is arguably unethical.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    It's more so him hitting it so hard her bones break, more than the force of his supergasm.
    The entire "man of steel, woman of Kleenex" argument makes absolutely zero sense. It's just sensationalistic, simplistic, high school bullsh*t.

I mean hell, have you never enjoyed a slow jam?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Lies by their very nature are always harmful.

Clark secretly being a superpowered vigilante is nothing like being in the closet. Clark's secret affects everyone around him. People who are targeted for being close to Superman. The Daily Planet whose credibility regarding Superman-related stories would be called into question once it becomes known that one of their staffers is Superman and that his wife, who also works for the Daily Planet, knew about it and kept it a secret.

Whether or not a person wants to talk about their orientation is their business. But when you start playing world police while defrauding a newspaper and by extension the entire world, your privacy becomes the least important.