BANNED

Default Question about Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. 1952-1956

Is it necessary or worth it to read B.P.R.D. 1946-1948 before I dig in? Any overlap, same characters etc?

You should. It is better than everything after 1953. (I think 54 is where, for me, it took a real downturn, and I jumped off shortly after.)

I really liked 46-48.

Speaking of, I stopped reading it, unless it was written solely by Mignola, and then the Pandemic and all, but is Hellboy and the BPRD still a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Speaking of, I stopped reading it, unless it was written solely by Mignola, and then the Pandemic and all, but is Hellboy and the BPRD still a thing?
    Yeah, 1957 is still on the way, plus there're also the standalone stories scattered through the timeline like The Beast of Vargu, which are basically the same as the classic Hellboy stories like you'd find in The Complete Short Stories omnibuses.

Yeah, those I'm aware of because Mignola writes them. but I think the main series just flew off my radar after being displeased with the last could arcs.

Did you read 1956? It wasn’t perfect but a big step up over 54 and 55. (And 55 was better than 54, which is indeed pretty rough) Hoping that trend continues with 57. My big hope is the mutated animals storyline just.... goes away. I feel like those monsters are far less interesting than the traditional demons and ghouls. Though the 1964(?) or so short in the Visitor has a mutated Armadillo or something so... if it keeps going that long it’ll be rough. The idea of a Supernatual Cold War is kinda interesting, but the actual supernatural bits need polished up

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Did you read 1956? It wasn’t perfect but a big step up over 54 and 55.
    1956 has some really fantastic moments.

Honestly, I don't remember. Everything after the Paolo Rivera arc was just meh.

ANd it's not the plots. Those are fine. It's Roberson's dialog that just kills it for me.