Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Vader too powerful in the comics?

So, just imagine the Vader we all know and love from the OT films. Now think about how powerful Vader is shown in the comics. I've seen him surrounded by hundred of soldiers firing at him and make it out. I've seen him being faced by dozens of ships hovering above him and firing at him and make it out.

He seems to be written as completely unstoppable, not even a hint or suggestion of vulnerability.

I find this annoying personally. If historically Boba Fett can challenge him one on one, they should be writing him differently.

Thoughts?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I never had a problem with it. I always thought of it as Vadar living up to his reputation. Rogue One and Rebels have also taken to writing Vadar in that matter.

Apart from Han screwing him up during the trench run (Which was also part of the fault of his wingman), all of Vader's canonical opponents that he has major difficulties with seem to be mainly force users (Luke, Ashoka & Obi-Wan). There's one exception I think-Aphra-who traps him and damages his suit at the end of her first series. He does also get damaged a bit in the early issues of his second monthly, but this was early in the suit days where he hadn't quite got the knack of it yet (and was also mainly fighting Jedi as well).

The new canon novels likewise write him in this matter too I think. Lords of the Sith & Thrawn Alliances for example (Although he does get one suit kind of wrecked due to some sticky insects).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

It probably wouldn't be that big a deal if it'd been done today but the OT had technical limitations on top of the story and later Vader content just isn't as limited by it. It probably also has some influence from the Prequels as well given the combat in that is much faster and choregraphed to portray the Jedi and Sith in the prime. So with Vader being the only other guy left he naturally should be portrayed as powerful and more skilled than a guy who regularly broke the saber props.

Vader also just in-general is kind of the final boss next to Palpatine. So Vader has to put up a significant challenge since it'd be a bit disappointing to play TFU, get to Vader, and utterly wreck him because it has to match the films. The deviation basically being to serve Vader's importance rather than how skilled he's portrayed in the OT.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I don't mind seeing Vader as an unstoppable monster in a lot of things. Especially stuff like Rogue One. That is still Vader at his prime. By the time the original trilogy roles around I really doubt Vader has faced any real threats in years. The Vader from right after he turned probably would have destroyed Ashoka in minutes compared to the long fight they had in Rebels. Not really having and true tests of his powers for such a long periods probably dulled them quite a bit by the time he fought Obi Wan on the Death Star. By the time he fought Luke he was back into real fighting shape again.

To be fair, Vader rarely engages in full combat in the OT movies (and against Force users). It also made sense in context that he wasn't going at full power in many of those, too.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Any question about the power level of a Force User really depends more on the purpose of its use in the story - guys like Revan or Starkiller could be insanely over-powered to try and make the power-fantasy part of their games work... and it did, while comparatively small and almost infinitesimal usage in other works has proven successful.

Vader’s supposed to be the most horrifying and intimidating of Palpatine’s apprentices, so him being a horror movie monster in terms of power level works out well... though it will shift when there’s new opponents for him.

As long as it doesn’t end up countering the intended dramatic effect of his appearances (as Rey and Kylo’s power levels arguably did at various points of the ST), his power level can be whatever the story needs it to be.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I don't mind seeing Vader as an unstoppable monster in a lot of things. Especially stuff like Rogue One. That is still Vader at his prime. By the time the original trilogy roles around I really doubt Vader has faced any real threats in years. The Vader from right after he turned probably would have destroyed Ashoka in minutes compared to the long fight they had in Rebels. Not really having and true tests of his powers for such a long periods probably dulled them quite a bit by the time he fought Obi Wan on the Death Star. By the time he fought Luke he was back into real fighting shape again.
    I think they said for years that he got better after the injuries because he got used to wearing the amour after some time.

But I never got the "Vader is slow" stuff, because even in Empire it was shown that he is quite fast. He is slower than before having to wear the amour but that does not mean he is slow. Being a force-user does have its advanteges in that regard^^

Media finally showing that is one of my fav parts of the new Star Wars.

There is a bit of difference in the films vs. the EU (and this was also before Disney's EU, as "Force Unleashed" for example showed Vader as a major force). In both the raids on the corvette and the Hoth base, he pretty much lets the troops handle everything before getting involved.

Although at least in the case of the Corvette, it seems he preferred at least some of the crew and Leia alive to ask about the plans and the base, whereas in Rogue One the plans were in plain sight so he could be more lethal.

His prime is supposed to be around the end of episode 3, before he was turned into a black phallic symbol is that right?

I don't know, he doesn't seem that invulnerable to me in clone wars or even in episode 3, when he's supposed to be stronger than he is later on.

But well, i can see why he's shown that way in rogue one and comics. Gotta give the fans a fictional BJ sometimes if you want them to buy your stuff.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I only read the Vader Comics during Gillen's Run and Vader Down. I loved it. He wrecked his opponents and armies but I didn't see it being "too powerful." He wasn't doing outrageous Force Unleashed crap and the foes Vader beat weren't exactly masters.

How is Vader's Comic now? After that 'bleeding crystal' arc from the new team, I dropped it. Vader is my favorite Villain of all time and I'd love to start reading his stories again but they lost their magic after Gillen's Run.

It's OK but the pacing isn't quite that great. The last arc that just ended basically was Vader looking for answers about Padme's final hours, and re-introducing prequel characters like the handmaidens and even Ric Olie the starship pilot back into things.

It also ended with Vader taking down an army again, although in this case he had some help from Deathtroopers.

It's trying to I think to build on Vader's arc in ROTJ, where it seems to be clear that he's starting to have some regrets about his life choices even before his final redemption (The scene on the landing pad, for example). Like the current regular monthly it's set between ESB and ROTJ.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-01-2020 at 07:42 AM.

All-New Member

Personally, I LOVE the new Marvel Vader comics.

The most recent one was SICK and the upcoming ones might be even better.

https://youtu.be/ryLmFWlPRKE

Initially, Tor Valum was supposed to be a major antagonist in Colin Trevorrow episode 9 script, the Duel of Fates. Obviously the whole thing got scrapped but JJ seemed to have appreciated the design of the character and Tor Valum got iterated into The Eye of The Webbish Bog in Rise of Skywalker. Unfortunately the Mustafar sequence with The Eye did not make it into the final cut of the movie but this was not the last we have seen of that mysterious creature!

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    So, just imagine the Vader we all know and love from the OT films. Now think about how powerful Vader is shown in the comics. I've seen him surrounded by hundred of soldiers firing at him and make it out. I've seen him being faced by dozens of ships hovering above him and firing at him and make it out.

He seems to be written as completely unstoppable, not even a hint or suggestion of vulnerability.

I find this annoying personally. If historically Boba Fett can challenge him one on one, they should be writing him differently.

Thoughts?
    Not a big EU fan but, from what I hear, the EU feats are just generally on a different scale than the movie feats. Well, until episodes 7, 8 and 9 at least.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    His prime is supposed to be around the end of episode 3, before he was turned into a black phallic symbol is that right?

I don't know, he doesn't seem that invulnerable to me in clone wars or even in episode 3, when he's supposed to be stronger than he is later on.

But well, i can see why he's shown that way in rogue one and comics. Gotta give the fans a fictional BJ sometimes if you want them to buy your stuff.
    The first few issues of Soule's Vader comic had him get very badly beaten that he pretty much needed a new suit right away. So he's more at his (suited) prime around REBELS, ROGUE ONE and the OT.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/08/th...d-of-the-sith/