Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All-New Member

The most recent issue was sick.

Darth Vader: CANON Star Wars Comics Series - 2020 Issue 7, Vader vs Ochi of Bestoon [Voice Acted]: https://youtu.be/-LEOyytzRps

Incredible Member

He almost as strong as evil Superman.

Astonishing Member

I don't think Vader is too powerful in the comics.

But the medium, with its big spaces and fluid drawings and occasional artistic license tends to make cool moves and scenes come across as more mythic and grandiose, whereas in the films ... well, the practicality ... of having to make things happen on camera lend themselves to a more grounded, "holy scary this could be happening" kind of vibe that I certainly like better. It's the same conundrum you get with the like, ultra-fluid, low-gravity swingy-flashy lightsaber combat in The Clone Wars, right? Where all of a sudden it's a breath of glorious fresh air when they mokap Ray Park and Lauren Mary Kim and they feel heavy and real. But flattened one whole dimension and increased ... outward, sorta.

In the realm of myth and with different writers and story interpreters we can kind of calmly be like "okay, seemed a bit OP on that page there" and write it off in our minds, but for general verisimilitude I think it's safe to just go with "interpreting practical in a comic book makes a panel look like nothing is happening and nobody is moving". We saw that tons with some of the main Marvel Star Wars comics that really go for that "capturing the likeness" vibe, where apart from the rare pitch-perfect panel, a lot of times characters look stiff and not dynamic at all, or even sometimes goofy and skewed. The alternative then is to draw characters kind of performing grand, sweeping gestures, to show us what's going on. And that comes across as OP.

Some panels do just come across perfectly though.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Niffleheim

what is the chronological list of writers on the darth vader runs?

Regardless of how one might want to reverse-engineer a reason for why he's shown as more or less powerful in his various appearances, it boils down to two things: The creators are always going to want to wow an audience by displaying bigger and more impressive feats with each appearance. Making a lightsaber come to your hands is only going to be thrilling the first time. The other thing is budget. The films have bigger and bigger budgets and the cartoons can show a lot more with less of a budget and comics can show even more than that with almost no budget restraints at all. So it makes sense that the comics would end up showing him do the most powerful things. It's pretty inconsistent but you have to go with this fantasy element of it and try not to look too closely at the seams.

BANNED

The way I understand the Jedi n Sith (or a force user)

You had the average being with very few midichlorians to someone who could be a Jedi...like the hundreds who died at the battle of geonosis

Then you had guys like Obi Wan or master Rancisis

But then at the top you had your elite who were like Mace Windu, Vader, Luke SkyWalker, Palpatine

In the old 2D cartoons Yoda and Mace were depicted as taking entire droid armies by themselves, Luke was beating a force Goddess, don’t know much on Vader in the EU but in canon he has picked up Imperial Walkers, taken on a rebel platoon and tanks. Sidious has beat his ass like a joke in canon n left him a limbless heap, in canon he can create worm holes.

I argue Obi Wan in his old age can be considered in the upper elite class of force users because Vader is said to have fears fighting him.

I'd say Quigon ranks as the elite tier - especially since he figured out the old "force ghost" thing.