Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    If by relatable you mean an absent father that becomes the center of your life and a whole tribe of sisters that sell children for weapons, rape and murder men for their sperm yet consider you to be the outsider... then sure, DC did a bang up job of that.
    And yet some people at DC couldn't understand why these ideas offended most everyone, huh, go figure.....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I like the clay origin because if she dies they can bring the clay back to the island and remake her which would be kind of interesting. But I don't mind her having a father which could give her some family outside the island and give her someone to rebel against lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I like the clay origin because if she dies they can bring the clay back to the island and remake her which would be kind of interesting. But I don't mind her having a father which could give her some family outside the island and give her someone to rebel against lol.
    That assumes that Diana is still clay.

There is nothing in the clay origin to presupposes that. Rather, she is as much clay as Adam and Eve, or Enkidu, or any other example of humanity being formed from clay in various creation myths.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Clay origin.

As for the source of her powers, I would combine the 'gifts from the gods' idea with the original Marston idea of Amazonian training. The gods give Diana natural abilities (or more accurately, the potential) and it's only with her Amazon training that she's able to fully access and master those powers...with the implication that, with enough training, any Amazon could match Diana.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Definitely clay, brought to life by the Gods which essentially makes her a child of the Gods as well as Hippolyta. The Gods having ideas for Diana in the future would be a great way to go.

Clay origin. Brought to life by the blessings of the goddesses, raised by Hippolyta and Phillipus.

I'm not strictly against some of the male gods being involved in Diana's creation but I'd rather it be an all-girl affair. And I'm not as "anti-Zeus" as some here are, and I even enjoyed the novelty of Azzarello's run at the time, but thematically "daughter of Zeus" is everything Diana *shouldn't* be.

And in my mind, the clay origin *does* make Diana a goddess. She might not be "fully elevated" into godhood yet (I forget the proper term) but she *is* a divine being, and the pantheon of Olympus *is* her family. That's one thing I did really enjoy about the New52; the Olympian gods being treated as Diana's "blood" kin and written as almost a mafia style crime family added a lot to the mythos. But Diana doesn't have to be Zeus' daughter to achieve that. Hell, half the Olympians weren't born the "normal" way either.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Clay origin. Brought to life by the blessings of the goddesses, raised by Hippolyta and Phillipus.

I'm not strictly against some of the male gods being involved in Diana's creation but I'd rather it be an all-girl affair. And I'm not as "anti-Zeus" as some here are, and I even enjoyed the novelty of Azzarello's run at the time, but thematically "daughter of Zeus" is everything Diana *shouldn't* be.

And in my mind, the clay origin *does* make Diana a goddess. She might not be "fully elevated" into godhood yet (I forget the proper term) but she *is* a divine being, and the pantheon of Olympus *is* her family. That's one thing I did really enjoy about the New52; the Olympian gods being treated as Diana's "blood" kin and written as almost a mafia style crime family added a lot to the mythos. But Diana doesn't have to be Zeus' daughter to achieve that. Hell, half the Olympians weren't born the "normal" way either.
    But Diana was clay made flesh and bone. Not the product of a coupling between a divinity and a mortal ( a demi god) . She was breathed life into by Aphrodite (and other goddesses, depending on the era). It's how mankind was created in the Greek myths, further shown in the tale of Pygmalion and Galatea. They weren't divine, but made human from clay.

While the Gods often had weirdo birth stories, they were still born of the divine, either fully (God and Goddess as parents) or partially (mortslmplus God or Goddess)..... so in the clay origin Diana is human, not divine. It's only Zeus' interaction that made her thus. Personally I prefer her not to be a Goddess, even a demi Goddess....

The clay origin doesn't *have* to make her a divine being, no of course not, but I like the idea that it does (which is why I said "in my mind" instead of stating it like a fact ). It puts her closer to the pantheon and makes her less of a pawn in the game of gods, gives her a bit more agency when dealing with them while still not being on equal footing. It provides some fun family drama I wouldn't want to see with Hippolyta (she and Diana disagree and argue plenty but the real messed up family stuff is going too far with them, while it fits nicely with the Olympians).

But different strokes for different folks and all that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.