Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Default Diana's Origin and You.

I looked for a thread on this, and I'm sure there is one but it must be so far back at this point that it'd be a necropost if I posted there, so...

What's your preferred origin for Diana? Clay? Demi-god? Who is her father if the latter? does she even HAVE one? Any ideas for an origin for her that hasn't really been seen before?

I'm personally not a fan of the clay origin, and I see everyone's point about Diana being a child of Zeus making it incredibly paternal and could just have her as another child of Zeus and etc... but I do actually like the idea of Diana being the child of a god. So I thought: what if she's an immaculate conception? Paint Hippolyta and Phillippus as lovers longing for a child, so at one point they beseech Hera, the goddess of fertility. Hera chooses to bless the two of them with a child blessed with amazing gifts much like a biological demi-god - Diana. Hera views Diana as her own daughter just as she is Hippolyta's and Phillippus', and Diana is raised as Hippolyta and Phillippus' daughter. From there I'd basically use De Liz's Legend of Wonder Woman as a base.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

The clay origin was always enough and there was never a need to change it. I consider the Zeus version a slap in the face done to Wonder Woman's fans by her patriarchal owners who have no understanding of her.

Clay origin, brought to life by the Goddesses. I'd just swap out Hermes with Hera.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-27-2020 at 01:26 PM.

Incredible Member

I prefer the daughter of Zeus origin. Her powers are her own and not the gift of Olympian gods.

I'm all in for the clay origin, and note that if a writer wants to go there, they can have Aphrodite (if following Marston, or some other of the goddesses) act as a parent, besides Hippolyta and possibly Philippus.

The clay origin is rich in mythological resonance, and ties directly into the myth of Pandora. In much the same way that Superman is the last son of Krypton, Wonder Woman symbolically becomes the first woman.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I looked for a thread on this, and I'm sure there is one but it must be so far back at this point that it'd be a necropost if I posted there, so...

What's your preferred origin for Diana? Clay? Demi-god? Who is her father if the latter? does she even HAVE one? Any ideas for an origin for her that hasn't really been seen before?

I'm personally not a fan of the clay origin, and I see everyone's point about Diana being a child of Zeus making it incredibly paternal and could just have her as another child of Zeus and etc... but I do actually like the idea of Diana being the child of a god. So I thought: what if she's an immaculate conception? Paint Hippolyta and Phillippus as lovers longing for a child, so at one point they beseech Hera, the goddess of fertility. Hera chooses to bless the two of them with a child blessed with amazing gifts much like a biological demi-god - Diana. Hera views Diana as her own daughter just as she is Hippolyta's and Phillippus', and Diana is raised as Hippolyta and Phillippus' daughter. From there I'd basically use De Liz's Legend of Wonder Woman as a base.
    There is one. She was born of Hippolyte's love and given life by the Goddesses. Whether that be by them bringing a marble statue to life or by bringing the clay statue formed by Hippolyte varies by the telling. That is her classic origin and the only valid one.

I will consider the Zeus 52 stuff when Superman is no longer born of Krypton but instead is born in a military cloning lab and they hide it from him because #Reasons or he was the product of some horrible attack by serial killer and rapist but grows up being told he was from space because #Reasons and he eventually learns his dad was the serial rapist all this time but is A okay with it and is oh so proud and such.

If either of those happens I would think about THINKING about MAYBE thinking about giving that BS a second thought.

Until then and likely afterward, Miss Me With That Tripe.
    Last edited by Stanlos; 09-27-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Clay origin. It was good enough for her first 70 years. I don’t even know why DC allowed this to become a debatable thing.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Sculpted from the clay of paradise and brought to life by the breath of the Gods.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Clay origin, brought to life by the Goddesses. I'd just swap out Hermes with Hera.
    Instead of Hermes gifting Diana super-speed, it should have been Artemis: Goddess of the hunt.

Arrow

Clay brought to life by the Gods is my favorite, That said, I don't object as strongly as others do to her being the daughter of a God, although I feel it does take away from the concept of the Amazons not needing men (of whatever the description).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I mean if we wanted the demi-goddess just have it be her mother is the daughter of Ares. I like the clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    I prefer the daughter of Zeus origin. Her powers are her own and not the gift of Olympian gods.
    Her powers in this case are because of Zeus.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Clay brought to life by the Gods is my favorite, That said, I don't object as strongly as others do to her being the daughter of a God, although I feel it does take away from the concept of the Amazons not needing men (of whatever the description).
    Personally it doesn't have anything to do with " not
    needing men". For me, it forces a strong male element into something that is a rarity in comics... an all female narrative.

The Queen of an all female society so longs for a daughter that the Goddess of Love instructs her to sculpt a child of clay and Aphrodite brings her to life. Girl lives a life of love and harmony, and gains her powers via Amazon training of mind, body, soul, or blessings by the Goddesses (And while that can vary era by era, the basics are the same)

Zeus changes the whole narrative. Hippolyta defies herGods and has an ellicit affair with Zeus. Diana is created of the union with Zeus. Hippolyta lies to Diana about her birth (which she has to do because of her affair with the married Zeus), making Diana an outcast amongst her people. Diana gets her powers from her godhood, a result of Zeus.
    ...and let's not forget the entire Azzarello run was about Zeus ( the lies are because of him, finding him, protecting baby him, etc etc etc)

And then we get the mistake of adding Jason because of this affair with Zeus , shoving another male into the narrative. Add to that how this steals the Bronze Age take on a twin with Nubia, and not only replaces a woman with another male figure, but replaces a woman of color.

So what's my answer to the original post? ... I'll give you one guess.lol

Sculpted in clay and yearned for by Hippolyta. Transmogrified into life and eventually bestowed fantastical powers by the Olympian goddesses and Hermes. It’s a mythic and wonderful origin that uniquely suits the character.

Clay all the way!