Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I wouldn't call Harley "iconic". Heavily pushed, yes, iconic, no.
    If there is an iconic character that wasn't heavily pushed at some point in his or her history, I can't think of it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    If there is an iconic character that wasn't heavily pushed at some point in his or her history, I can't think of it.
    But the iconic ones get past that point, and hold up on their own. Quinn isn't there yet, not even close.

But the iconic ones get past that point, and hold up on their own. Quinn isn't there yet, not even close.
    Maybe, but she's a lot closer than the vast majority of the names I have seen posted so far (at least beyond comics, at any rate).

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

1. Wonder Woman
    2. Catwoman
    3. Poison Ivy
    4. Lois Lane
    5. Starfire
    6. Raven
    7. Batgirl
    8. Supergirl
    9. Harley Quinn
    10. Bumblebee

Lois Lane is responsible for a lot of tropes associated with supporting characters in comics.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I think Harley is indisputably extremely popular. But it all comes down to what "iconic" means to you. For me, it means an idea that is infiltrated pop culture to a degree that everyone recognizes the character/rip-off/parody, even if they have never seen any non-satirical version of the actual character. People who've never seen them know the "idea" behind the character. For me, only Catwoman and Lois Lane meet that criteria. Not sure they'll keep the position as older generations die off and American culture(because, yes, I do base this on American culture) becomes less and less based on one common (media experience) as time passes. Harley has a chance of making it there, but only time will tell.

But since the OP talked about Iconic in gaming, then this may be iconic within comic or at least something narrower than mainstream American appeal. Harley can make that list, I think. Supergirl, maybe (so many variations, so maybe not a specific one unless the cousin version). Hawkgirl/woman and Starfire, I feel like would only make the list for lack of anyone better, as they've been more prominent in the past than now.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

I think Harley Quinn's character arc is pretty iconic especially when you look at her relationship with the Joker. I can't think of another female character that had a well written toxic relationship and was able to leave it without trivializing the topic for readers.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

1. Wonder Woman
    2. Supergirl
    3. Lois Lane
    4. Catwoman
    5. Batgirl
    6. Harley Quinn
    7. Poison Ivy
    8. Black Canary
    9. Hawk Girl
    10. Zatanna

1-6 are in order, 7-10 is definitely a toss up though. Like you are probably going to find equal amounts of non comic readers who know one of 7-10 characters, but doesn't know the other.

Characters like Supergirl & Batgirl are iconic, but people pretty much know little about them except for that they come from Superman/Batman—even Wonder Woman is guilty of this to an extent as I'm sure most people don't know anything about her except that she was the first female hero.

That said, I would have included Batwoman, but I feel like people only just know her cause they assume because "there's a Batman, so there must be a Batwoman", in the same way people automatically know "Superwoman". But other than that they know absolutely nothing about her.

I wouldn't call Harley "iconic". Heavily pushed, yes, iconic, no.
    I smell bias. Sorry, but in spite of how you may feel about her character, she's definitely iconic. Even before her "overpush" most people knew about her.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 11-07-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Maybe, but she's a lot closer than the vast majority of the names I have seen posted so far (at least beyond comics, at any rate).
    Well, my list would be iconic. FM,YMV.

Wonder Woman
    Supergirl
    Catwoman
    Batgirl

And that's it for DC. Lois would have made the list if she had a strong and consistent, readily identifiable look. But she doesn't.

No Starfire, no Raven, no Ivy, though she's on the cusp IMO, no Vixen, but she's closer, certainly no Bumblebee or Power Girl, no Batwoman.
    Last edited by achilles; 11-07-2020 at 01:18 PM.

My Top Ten DC Iconic Female Characters

1) Wonder Woman (without question)

2.) Lois Lane (the original love interest and a rare female character with agency from her very start)

3.) Catwoman (the original, and still the best, femme fatale)

4.) Batgirl*

5.) Supergirl*

6.) Harley Quinn

7.) Poison Ivy

8.) Starfire

9.) Raven

10.) Black Carnary

*The order of these two was more of a challenge. I could have easily justified reversing their rankings.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    1. Wonder Woman
    2. Supergirl
    3. Lois Lane
    4. Catwoman
    5. Batgirl
    6. Harley Quinn
    7. Poison Ivy
    8. Black Canary
    9. Hawk Girl
    10. Zatanna

1-6 are in order, 7-10 is definitely a toss up though. Like you are probably going to find equal amounts of non comic readers who know one of 7-10 characters, but doesn't know the other.

Characters like Supergirl & Batgirl are iconic, but people pretty much know little about them except for that they come from Superman/Batman—even Wonder Woman is guilty of this to an extent as I'm sure most people don't know anything about her except that she was the first female hero.

That said, I would have included Batwoman, but I feel like people only just know her cause they assume because "there's a Batman, so there must be a Batwoman", in the same way people automatically know "Superwoman". But other than that they know absolutely nothing about her.

I smell bias. Sorry, but in spite of how you may feel about her character, she's definitely iconic. Even before her "overpush" most people knew about her.
    I smell comic book fan commenting on "most people". I would venture to say that "most people" didn't know squat about Harley until the movies started hitting. While BTAS was a great show, I rather doubt that "most people" outside comic book fans and children, mostly boys, knew about her then, or later, when she started appearing in comic books.

This is of course my definition, which basically suggests that "most people", which means non comic book fans will know them at a glance, and know their names. Which, sadly, lets out most of them, even my own favorites. And it has nothing to do with how good the characters are.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post

4.) Batgirl*

5.) Supergirl*

*The order of these two was more of a challenge. I could have easily justified reversing their rankings.
    I would put Supergirl ahead of Batgirl. Supergirl is not someone that is used to pair up with other Batfam members or appear on a cover as an iconic victim of the Joker.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 11-07-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Comics only:

1. Wonder Woman
    2. Lois Lane
    3. Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)
    4. Supergirl
    5. Black Canary
    6. Catwoman
    7 Hawkgiirl/Hawkwoman (the redhead)
    8. Harley Quinn
    9. Starfire
    10. Donna Troy

Honorable mentions: Power Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    1. Wonder Woman
    2. Lois Lane
    3. Supergirl
    4. Black Canary
    5. Catwoman
    6. Batgirl
    7. Harley Quinn
    8. Zatanna
    9. Starfire
    10 Raven
    This would be my list as well. Hawkgirl could replace 9 or 10.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Tier 1
    Wonderwoman: the definitive female superhero. She is also the only female hero who is a franchise into her self and not a spin off of a popular male character or team.
    Tier 2
    Catwoman Supergirl or Lois (These two are pretty close) iconic characters your non comic reading mom would know who they are by name or image alone.
    Tier 3
    Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Black Canary. They show up pretty regularly in outside media so they have some recognition, just not as much as tier 1 and 2.
    They show up pretty often in outside media but the a

Tier 4
    Zatana Starfire Mera

This is perennial guest star group. They are either most known for being part of a team or as a cameo character brought in to deal with unusual threats.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 11-07-2020 at 02:55 PM.

1. Lois Lane
    2. Wonder Woman
    3. Catwoman
    4. Supergirl
    5. Harley Quinn

6. Raven
    7. Batgirl
    8. Starfire
    9. Power Girl
    10. Saturn Girl

Donna Troy
    Poison Ivy