BANNED

Default Paul Jenkins interview with The Comics Cube

Paul Jenkins did an interview with The Comics' Cube, check it out.

He has some interesting stuff to say about the Spider-Marriage. The interviewer prefers Spider-Man without a marriage but Paul Jenkins says that having married Spider-Man, they should have stuck with it, though he wonders if marrying Peter back in the 80s was a mistake. He says that "some liked it others didn't".

He also says, near the end, that Revenge of the Green Goblin for which he wrote the dialogue (Roger Stern wrote the plot) inspired the first Spider-Man movie and he implies he got a credit for that, but can anyone locate this?

I always thougth that Jenkins was more of a Gwen shipper.

As for the Revenge of the Green Goblin, well that was the first time that Norman being an evil father figure to Peter was done and Raimi definetly framed Norman as that in the movie (thougth Dafoe Norman was less evil), but i don't think that it was ever comfirmed if that was the actual inspiration for it.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I always thougth that Jenkins was more of a Gwen shipper.

As for the Revenge of the Green Goblin, well that was the first time that Norman being an evil father figure to Peter was done and Raimi definetly framed Norman as that in the movie (thougth Dafoe Norman was less evil), but i don't think that it was ever comfirmed if that was the actual inspiration for it.
    I heard another interview where he said somebody from Sony told him Sam Raimi actually saw that story he was doing with Norman and liked it so much he wanted to incorporate some of that into the Peter/Norman relationship in the movie. That story came out in 2000 so it was still early on before shooting the film, which I don't believe they started filming officially til early 2001. He also said the upside down kiss visual, with half of Spidey's mask pulled up was inspired by the cover he came up with along with Kaare Andrews and Kaare Andrews drew the cover (#29). He said he was interviewed for the Spider-Man movie DVD along with a lot of other big Spidey creators, but his interview wasn't included on the DVD. His own speculation was that mentioning all those little things they borrowed from his comics got them a little scared they didn't give him enough credit in the movie/or would have to pay him or something lol.

I haven't listened to this one yet so I don't know if he mentions these specifically here, I've enjoyed previously listening to a lot of Jenkins interviews online so I'll definitely check this one out too.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 09-28-2020 at 06:00 PM.