While I still don’t feel like he’s cracked Diana or her world, this is a way more interesting “ambitious failure” for me than say Azzarello on Superman or Johns on Batman are. We rarely if ever have anyone even try to touch on Marston’s stuff. Too weird for most writers. So I appreciate Morrison attempting to grapple with that kind of feminism and bondage that defines Golden Age Wonder Woman.

Of the Earth One Trinity the WW books have been by far the most entertaining for me. Earth One Superman is pretty banal, it’s got some stuff I enjoy but overall it’s just kinda meh. Not different enough to stand out and there’s just not enough ambition for me to feel like there’s anything to really explore beneath the surface. It’s like the infamous ad said “Superman for the Twilight generation”. Earth One Batman is so dumb but it’s a fun kind of dumb where Johns either intentionally or unintentionally is doing one of the best deconstructions of Batman I’ve read. Bruce is a complete moron who is in over his head but is just too stubborn or stupid to quit and that’s how he wins. But again not many deeper themes or ideas beyond “what would a realistic Batman really look like?”

Earth One WW though? There’s a bunch of ideas here, about feminism, fetishism, race, the good and bad of the Golden Age WW Marston created. It’s got stuff like WW saying transwomen are welcome on Themyscaria. In other words it’s ambitious in a way the Superman and Batman books aren’t. Does Morrison always do a good job handling those themes? No. No he doesn’t. That’s what makes it an ambitious failure in my eyes. He’s not connecting with me the way his Superman and Batman works did, where he made me really fall in love with and gain a deeper appreciation for both of them. But it’s entertaining to see him try in a way it isn’t with all the tepid runs of the mainline WW book we’ve gotten.