Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Still loving the way Paquette draws Artemis. Also really liking that tall beefy Amazon. Nice to see some other body types after the previous volumes primarily focused on more traditionally glamorous super models.

Interested to see what is going on with Paula there.

Yeah, that is an awesome take on Artemis. Nothing drastic, but just the darker skin tone and the tats add some character.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Agreed - like the hair too.

I like how Paquette made kangaroos look as reasonable and normal as riding horses. He is my favorite WW artist, the beauty he infuses in her world is resplendent.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 10-21-2020 at 04:32 PM. Reason: SiegePerilous02 used glamour first and I wasn't trying to disagree with them (but I like glamour)

Extraordinary Member

One more page courtesy of Nathan Fairbairn:

Last edited by Hypo; 10-22-2020 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    One more page courtesy of NAthan Fairbairn:

Ooh that's gorgeous, and also brining to light more new information on Paradise Island. With harpies, centaurs and a female cyclops, are all the tribes/factions on the island not necessarily Amazons?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Ooh that's gorgeous, and also brining to light more new information on Paradise Island. With harpies, centaurs and a female cyclops, are all the tribes/factions on the island not necessarily Amazons?
    My first thought was, whenever there was a wild mythological beast running amok that turned out to be a woman, like a cyclops or centaur, the Amazons defeated her, and then reached out an open hand, like "come with us, be an Amazon" over the years.

I can't believe this is out this soon. Has it been that long since Volume 2? Yowza! That 2020 frame-of-mind skewing things.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

It’s going to be gorgeous. Checking it out for that reason alone. Also I like the Earth One Artemis design, definitely helps give her an irreverent air.

I'm not a fan of Morrison or his take on Diana, but I'll be damned if this isn't gorgeous artwork.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    One more page courtesy of Nathan Fairbairn:

I've always hated the idea of a final battle on Themsycira and mythology heavy stories of Wonder Woman. However, this makes me eat my words. If we could get more bombastic battles like this in the comic, I could become a believer. This is beautiful, and it seems like it'll be a great conclusion to the story.

I also love Artemis' look. So much personality, and in those few pages, she's impressed me than I ever expected the character to do so.

Can't wait until March, so I can buy the entire series and read over my Spring Break. Seems like it'll be quite the treat.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Paquette's redesigns are amazing. His Themsycira aesthetics should be used in the main continuity WW books.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I've always hated the idea of a final battle on Themsycira and mythology heavy stories of Wonder Woman. However, this makes me eat my words. If we could get more bombastic battles like this in the comic, I could become a believer. This is beautiful, and it seems like it'll be a great conclusion to the story.

I also love Artemis' look. So much personality, and in those few pages, she's impressed me than I ever expected the character to do so.

Can't wait until March, so I can buy the entire series and read over my Spring Break. Seems like it'll be quite the treat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Paquette's redesigns are amazing. His Themsycira aesthetics should be used in the main continuity WW books.
    Yes, I'd be much more interested in Paradise Island and myth based stories if they consistently looked this interesting. This and Historia have made me the most interested I've ever been in the Amazons and their factions and locations. Paquette said on his Twitter that they hinted at these non-Amazon inhabitants in volume 2, but I honestly can't remember where that was. All I remember was the teleporter to Queen Desira's world.

The presence of the ARES robots seems to be a nod to the OMACs attacking Themyscira shortly after Diana killed Max. I'm certain this story will end with the Amazons triumphant and Diana NOT killing Max. Who I also hope will at least be the Duke of Deception.

Speculating on what is going on with the Artemis scene, I wonder if the New Sparta Amazons don't acknowledge Diana as queen and she has to defeat Artemis in combat to get her in line? Also, Artemis possibly wanting to execute Paula and Diana shooting that idea down?

Looks good. March is a long way off. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I'm not a fan of Morrison or his take on Diana, but I'll be damned if this isn't gorgeous artwork.
    It looks gorgeous, but it doesn't really say anything to me. I think the main problem here is that Paquette makes all the Amazons look sexy all the time. They are angry and sexy; surprised and sexy; determined and sexy; sexy and sexy. And the sexiness always feels forced, it comes not from showing a confident woman but showing idealised women.

The result is that there is an emotional one-note to the entire Wonder Woman Earth One series.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    It looks gorgeous, but it doesn't really say anything to me. I think the main problem here is that Paquette makes all the Amazons look sexy all the time. They are angry and sexy; surprised and sexy; determined and sexy; sexy and sexy. And the sexiness always feels forced, it comes not from showing a confident woman but showing idealised women.

The result is that there is an emotional one-note to the entire Wonder Woman Earth One series.
    The scene with Hercules and Hippolyta was badly affected by this. It looked more titillating than disturbing which is not a good idea for what is a scene of sexual assault.

And frankly, Paquette isn't any better than Jiminez and Perez and those two had far better stories.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-22-2020 at 11:05 PM.