Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Meh.
    Grant Morrison's WW is one of the WW depictions that I actively avoid.
    It was just so...blah.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Meh.
    Grant Morrison's WW is one of the WW depictions that I actively avoid.
    It was just so...blah.
    I give him credit for wanting to do the character better after he felt didn't do her justice in his JL run or Final Crisis (something that can't really be said for other writers), but yeah I'm not big on Diana herself in the Earth One books. Seems like Morrison's a bit more interested in Marston and his ideas than her.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Why is this volume ten bucks more than the previous two?
    I just saw that too. Jeez. Good thing I get my collected editions off instocktrades.

Ugh, Max Lord = buzzkill. Hopefully there's a secret Golden Age villain somewhere in this volume.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Ugh, Max Lord = buzzkill. Hopefully there's a secret Golden Age villain somewhere in this volume.
    Holding out for Blue Snowman?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Holding out for Blue Snowman?
    I'd even settle for Blakfu.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I give him credit for wanting to do the character better after he felt didn't do her justice in his JL run or Final Crisis (something that can't really be said for other writers), but yeah I'm not big on Diana herself in the Earth One books. Seems like Morrison's a bit more interested in Marston and his ideas than her.
    I had more of an issue with his Hippolyta than Diana, though more so in the first volume than the second.
    Diana herself is fun and a breath of fresh air at least compared to the two runs the books came out during at the time, Finch and Wilson. Where the former she was, well, written by Finch. And a mostly ineffectual navel gazer in the latter.

I'd even settle for Blakfu.
    Anti-Electric! (how low can we go?)

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I had more of an issue with his Hippolyta than Diana, though more so in the first volume than the second.
    Diana herself is fun and a breath of fresh air at least compared to the two runs the books came out during at the time, Finch and Wilson. Where the former she was, well, written by Finch. And a mostly ineffectual navel gazer in the latter.
    Yeah, I’m not on the hot on the books but they were a breath of fresh air compared to what mainline Diana was getting at the time aside from Rucka.

I had some some problems with Hippolyta also, though I didn’t think her portrayal was that far removed from how she’s usually written. Though I guess that gets into the issue of how Hippolyta is written in general (main books or elseworlds)
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-29-2020 at 06:37 AM.

Incredible Member

I'm excited for the book. I haven't read the Earth One volumes yet, but I've read nothing but great reviews for Volume 2 from comic reviewers I trust. Personally, I'm super excited Maxwell Lord is the big bad of this Volume. I hope he continues to show up in the Wonderverse.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I’m not on the hot on the books but they were a breath of fresh air compared to what mainline Diana was getting at the time aside from Rucka.

I had some some problems with Hippolyta also, though I didn’t think her portrayal was that far removed from how she’s usually written. Though I guess that gets into the issue of how Hippolyta is written in general (main books or elseworlds)
    Honestly, I don't think Hippolyta's actions in these books would even crack a top 10 list of "Shadiest things Hippolyta has done in the name of protecting her daughter." Though that may be damning with faint praise.

Though the worst thing is the first book having Diana speculate that the Amazons will kill Steve humanely for stumbling on the island, but volume 2 showed they don't do that.

Extraordinary Member

For Wonder Woman Day DC has release some art plus an expanded description:

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/1...arth-one-vol-3
    Over its first two volumes, Grant Morrison and Yanick Paquette’s Wonder Woman: Earth One series has garnered acclaim from fans and critics alike with its vivid, modern day reimaging of Diana’s Golden Age origins. Next year, the creative team returns with a third and final volume that finds Diana returning home to Paradise Island in an attempt to fend off a full-scale assault by one of her classic adversaries.

Now queen of the Amazons, Diana finds herself venturing through Paradise Island to enlist help from the different clans and assemble the full united force of the island’s legendary warriors for the first time in a millennium. The reason? Max Lord, who back in Man’s World is readying a massive attack on Wonder Woman’s home using his legions of deadly A.R.E.S. suits. For any chance of victory, Diana will need the help of every Amazonian clan. However, not all of them are willing to accept her place as queen—like Artemis and the New Spartans!

Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 3 won’t see print until March 2021, but as a special Wonder Woman Day treat, we’re pleased to give you an early sneak peek at this climactic volume featuring your first look at Paquette’s bow-wielding Artemis and her clan.

Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member

Max Lord is a "classic" adversary? Yeah, right. Oh well, at least it has Artemis, which is more than I can say for the regular title.

Interesting to see the idea of multiple tribes living on the island being more explored.

Can't say Paquette’s in my favorite WW artists but can't deny it looks good.
    Max Lord is a "classic" adversary? Yeah, right. Oh well, at least it has Artemis, which is more than I can say for the regular title.
    One bad story from 15 years ago is all it takes to make a classic villain these days.