Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I've tended to be more lukewarm on Paquette. It's good, not really arguing against that, but he's not really who I think of when I'm asked to envision Diana (Perez, Jimenez, Scott, Sharp, Cooke).

Similar to other artists like the Dodsons and Chiang.
    Totally fair. It was honestly this trilogy that really got me to connect with him. I’d say Paquette, Evely, and Jimenez are my big 3 WW artists
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Finished it and wow....that was a mess of a read. Like someone else said at least it looked pretty?

There were some bits that I like and would like to see carried over to the main comics but yeah...definitely an interesting end to the E1 trilogy. Ready for someone else to take over...maybe they'll give us an E2 trilogy.

Astonishing Member

I liked Volume 3 more than the first two.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Anyone else feels like each new volume was better than previous one? Kinda wonder what could we get in Vol. 4.

It was messy but fun nonetheless. Too bad we didn't get to see the revamps of Cheetah and Circe, the series feels incomplete without them.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Finished it and wow....that was a mess of a read. Like someone else said at least it looked pretty?

There were some bits that I like and would like to see carried over to the main comics but yeah...definitely an interesting end to the E1 trilogy. Ready for someone else to take over...maybe they'll give us an E2 trilogy.
    I would definitely like Etta and Dr. Psycho brought over, as well as the revamps of Desira and the other off-shoot Amazon factions and mythological creatures living on Paradise Island.

While mainstream heroes are caught in a never ending cycle, it's nice to see a version of Wonder Woman who just says "eff it" and takes over the world whether the men like it or not. And actually makes it better! Injustice should take notes.

All hail Dominatrix Diana

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Anyone else feels like each new volume was better than previous one? Kinda wonder what could we get in Vol. 4.
    Yeah definitely. They are all flawed and far from Morrison's best work, but the worst aspects of volume 1 (the Amazons being straw feminists and being antagonistic) are downplayed with each subsequent volume. This one may take more of a satirical approach, but it's hard to argue that with the state of the world right now, the Amazons taking over wouldn't be a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    It was messy but fun nonetheless. Too bad we didn't get to see the revamps of Cheetah and Circe, the series feels incomplete without them.
    Same. It's a major letdown that we didn't see Morrison's Cheetah. I'm not sure how she'd fit in. Maybe if the story was stretched out over a couple more volumes, she could be female ally of the patriarchy. She doesn't like Diana and all these other women rising above their station while she thrives in the world at is, and becomes Cheetah to help Ares.

Circe, not sure how she'd fit. She appeared in the Golden Age, but only once.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don’t think anyone will be using this version of WW after Morrison. The Earth One versions were conceived as being the singular vision of a sole writer + artist. Nobody has picked up Superman since JMS left despite there being a clear sequel tease for a Vol. 4. And with this trilogy specifically spoilers:
    there’s nowhere to go. Diana and the Amazons have won completely and utterly, they’ve established utopia, Diana basically Miracleman’d the world here. Only story you could tell would be about the fall of paradise and that would be a very dark and nihilistic take on this story.
    end of spoilers
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Hmm, going off just a first reading I feel this is probably the best of series so far. I’d have to go back read the prior two as I haven’t read them since the second volume came out but I feel altogether they read better as a whole than as the individual stand alone stuff (in particular the first one). The stuff I mainly didn’t like are holdovers from the previous volumes.

I like most of the EO books, so I’d rank this second in terms of series overall, GL being the first.

I don’t think this would really get into my WW favorite reading list but it’s an interesting side series/effort. I’ll also give credit to Morrison for wanting to do better with Diana after they felt they used her poorly in JL and Final Crisis, something I feel a lot of other writers would just use the old excuse/talking point “Diana’s just too hard to write” to write off criticism.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-10-2021 at 09:12 AM. Reason: some word corrections

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hmm, going off just a first reading I feel this is probably the best of series so far. I’d have to go back read the prior two as I haven’t read them since the second volume came out but I feel altogether they read better as a whole than as the individual stand alone stuff (in particular the first one). The stuff I mainly didn’t like are holdovers from the previous volumes.

I like most of the EO books, so I’d rank this second in terms of series overall, GL being the first.

I don’t think this would really get into my WW favorite reading list but it’s an interesting side series/effort. I’ll also give credit to Morrison for wanting to do better with Diana after they felt they used her poorly in JL and Final Crisis, something I feel a lot of other writers would just use the old excuse/talking point “Diana’s just too hard to write” to write off criticism.
    Yeah I think the highs and lows balance out for this take to land squarely in the middle of WW rankings. Certainly not the best (Marton, Perez, Rucka, Jimenez, the better aspects of Jenkins in the DCEU) but farfrom the worst (Finch, Kanigher, Injustice, DCAU, some of what we're hearing about the discarded DCEU stuff, pretty much everyone else). It sits comfortably in the middle with Simone for me and above Azzarello. Who I'd put above all those others mentioned because at least his Diana was cool.

Morrison being non-binary makes the future segments interesting, and Morrison themselves even make a cameo on the second page. And I do like how Morrison doesn't blame the character for her being a challenge for them to write. Even if they aren't entirely suited to explore the characters themes, I think they have some better ideas than others.

Astonishing Member

Just on the lighter review side, I saved this to last because of its chonky size. It's interesting because it's a complete story as well as the completion of an arc or bigger volume. The art is light and gorgeous, the design work is extensive and intricate, there's a great cohesion to the universe. The book gave me a chance to giggle more than any book has in quite a while. I was laughing like a fool when I read like, "Sororcerors" and "Hystery" and all the silly but somehow awesome word play.

Max Lord just being Ares was the smart choice. It's a choice I like a lot. They're separate entities in the Mainstream because Lord doesn't come from Wonder Woman comics or Diana's rogues' gallery but there is a pretty smart overlap in "Modern War" to Lord, even JLI era Lord's, corporate slick concept and financing a super-hero team (essentially a private militia). Full military industrial complex vibes.

The framing device was fun. I think the bit that I liked the most was probably the cyclical, almost lunar nature of the ending and Diana's last move. And all the different feminine names for "The World" were great. Even Arda Moore's first name being a lift from Tolkien made me smile.

And mad respect for the Drone Soldiers to bridge that divide between "Mecha" or mechanized bad-ass thing ... and kind of a Harry Peter design from 80 years ago.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah I think the highs and lows balance out for this take to land squarely in the middle of WW rankings. Certainly not the best (Marton, Perez, Rucka, Jimenez, the better aspects of Jenkins in the DCEU) but farfrom the worst (Finch, Kanigher, Injustice, DCAU, some of what we're hearing about the discarded DCEU stuff, pretty much everyone else). It sits comfortably in the middle with Simone for me and above Azzarello. Who I'd put above all those others mentioned because at least his Diana was cool.

Morrison being non-binary makes the future segments interesting, and Morrison themselves even make a cameo on the second page. And I do like how Morrison doesn't blame the character for her being a challenge for them to write. Even if they aren't entirely suited to explore the characters themes, I think they have some better ideas than others.
    Yeah, not gonna lie hearing recent stuff on what was planned by Snyder for the DCEU, alongside some other bad WW stuff we’ve gotten recently, may have given me more of an appreciation for this than I otherwise may have.

But otherwise, yeah I would probably put this around the better parts of the Simone run.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t think anyone will be using this version of WW after Morrison. The Earth One versions were conceived as being the singular vision of a sole writer + artist. Nobody has picked up Superman since JMS left despite there being a clear sequel tease for a Vol. 4. And with this trilogy specifically spoilers:
    there’s nowhere to go. Diana and the Amazons have won completely and utterly, they’ve established utopia, Diana basically Miracleman’d the world here. Only story you could tell would be about the fall of paradise and that would be a very dark and nihilistic take on this story.
    end of spoilers
    They might not use this specific version but they could take certain visual and story elements from this series and incorporate it into the main universe or an adaptation of WW. I like how Themyscira looks in the series. Just leave the daughter of Heracles stuff in the rubbish bin.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    While mainstream heroes are caught in a never ending cycle, it's nice to see a version of Wonder Woman who just says "eff it" and takes over the world whether the men like it or not. And actually makes it better! Injustice should take notes.

All hail Dominatrix Diana
    It is interesting how Morrison's Batman #700 story shows Batman still waging never ending war one thousand years later, while here WW just wins.

To the list of things that should be moved into main continuity I'd add Golden Age planets as different Earths.

Incredible Member

I love this book.

Those that didn't like the first two probably won't change their minds. But even to those readers, the art is gorgeous and just full of great ideas and world building. Those damn kangas are life and I need them in the main continuity NOW (which I guess the back up in 770 confirms?). Morrison's take on the Golden Age worlds, Artemis, takes on Hades and Persephone and all the mythological stuff, the updated Holliday girls, winning through love and on their terms, the magi-sci of parthenogenesis and the final page -- great stuff. Bloated with ideas and a reverence for the character and her history, but attempting to take it to new and logical heights.

Granted, the book could have used room to breathe and I personally don't want this to be the last installment. Morrison and team got better with each take and I can only imagine what they could do given more space and time learn from, work and create with Diana and her world.

I would still like a Villainy Inc installment, perhaps in between the two timelines of this book.

The future shows that even though WW won, there are still some issues.