Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Default Opinions on a Next Creative Team

Guys/Girls, after Spencer's run, what would be your next creative team? Any favorites?

Mine would be Zdarsky/Checchetto, for the amazing work they're doing on Daredevil.

Donny Cates.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    Donny Cates.
    I liked his writing before. No more.

Totally limited and has zero range. he would be one of my last choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    I liked his writing before. No more.

Totally limited and has zero range. he would be one of my last choices.
    Are you saying that you just realized now that he's limited and has zero range? Or that his current work has disappointed you? Because these are two different things.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Are you saying that you just realized now that he's limited and has zero range? Or that his current work has disappointed you? Because these are two different things.
    I think that he is saying that he liked his writing at the begining, but that now he realized that he is a one-trick pony, at least thats how i understand it.

Personally, i haven't read enought with Cates to know how true is that.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I think that he is saying that he liked his writing at the begining, but that now he realized that he is a one-trick pony, at least thats how i understand it.

Personally, i haven't read enought with Cates to know how true is that.
    Damn, I don't even know why I wrote so much in my previous post. You said it much better than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    What I'm trying to say is that I've read basically everything He's written for Marvel:I enjoyed Thanos quite a bit (there are some problems with it, though), his Venom was great for a long time, but Has greatly dropped in quality, his Death of Inhumans was mediocre, his GotG was mediocre too (lots of promises, but it did go nowhere fast, and He realized he doesn't know how to write team books, which is, by itself, a severe limitation in writing skills), SS:Black was really good, and his Thor started well (nothing more than that) .

Comparing Thor and Venom, he rehashes themes (something that has been criticized in quite a few reviews) with "dark gods" and all that. Also, another critic is that he always shoves his pet creations, like Cosmic Ghost Rider and Knull, basically in everything He writes.

The final critic is that He's not exactly great with continuity and it's extremely awful in some aspects, like power levels, for example.

So I could say, imo of course, his current/recent work has been good, at best, but mostly mediocre. I realized that it has to do with his limitations as a writer and his lack of range. See, I've read most of his more than once work to be fair in my analysis, so that's my conclusion.

Again, just my opinion.

BANNED

What I'm trying to say is that I've read basically everything He's written for Marvel:I enjoyed Thanos quite a bit (there are some problems with it, though), his Venom was great for a long time, but Has greatly dropped in quality, his Death of Inhumans was mediocre, his GotG was mediocre too (lots of promises, but it did go nowhere fast, and He realized he doesn't know how to write team books, which is, by itself, a severe limitation in writing skills), SS:Black was really good, and his Thor started well (nothing more than that) .

Comparing Thor and Venom, he rehashes themes (something that has been criticized in quite a few reviews) with "dark gods" and all that. Also, another critic is that he always shoves his pet creations, like Cosmic Ghost Rider and Knull, basically in everything He writes.

The final critic is that He's not exactly great with continuity and it's extremely awful in some aspects, like power levels, for example.

So I could say, imo of course, his current/recent work has been good, at best, but mostly mediocre. I realized that it has to do with his limitations as a writer and his lack of range. See, I've read most of his more than once work to be fair in my analysis, so that's my conclusion.

Again, just my opinion.
    That's actually a good take. I agree that Cates has fairly limited range. I actually soured on Cates after seeing his one-shot for Marvel Comics #1000 with Spider-Man. I didn't like it one bit and it felt just wrong for the character.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 09-28-2020 at 06:47 PM.

I'm not completly convinced by Cates considering his Absolute Carnage, but that mostly has to do with me not being a big fan of anti-hero Venom, he was otherwise fine.

I kind of want to see PAD having a proper run in ASM but that would never happen.

Kirkman would also be an interesting option, but i doubt than that is possible.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Kelly Thompson/Pepe Larraz

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I'm not completly convinced by Cates considering his Absolute Carnage, but that mostly has to do with me not being a big fan of anti-hero Venom, he was otherwise fine.

I kind of want to see PAD having a proper run in ASM but that would never happen.

Kirkman would also be an interesting option, but i doubt than that is possible.
    Agreed on Kirkman. Another (not possible) choice I'd like to see would be Geoff Johns: Hulk and Spidey are, by far, his favorite Marvel characters, the ones He repeated several times He would buy and bring to DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Kelly Thompson/Pepe Larraz
    That's a fantastic creative team. Particularly, Larraz is perfect for Spidey.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Chip Zdarsky (with Marco Checchetto) having a run on The Amazing Spider-Man after relaunching Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man and then doing Spider-Man: Life Story would be incredible. And yeah, I'd be interested in seeing what Kelly Thompson or Leah Williams could bring to Spider-Man, since I liked Thompson's respect for Peter/MJ in Jessica Jones: Blind Spot, and Williams did such an excellent job with Amazing Mary Jane, I'd love to see if she could work some of that same magic with Peter. After that scene in the AXIS tie-in for Captain America and the Mighty Avengers where Spider-Man briefly brandished Captain America's shield to rebuke the Inverted Avengers for their strongarm tactics against the Mighty Avengers, proclaiming that that wasn't how Avengers --- or heroes in general --- were supposed to behave, I'd love to see Al Ewing do a Spider-Man run, too, especially in a similar vein to Immortal Hulk where he could reinterpret and redefine the Spider-Mythos.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Guys/Girls, after Spencer's run, what would be your next creative team? Any favorites?

Mine would be Zdarsky/Checchetto, for the amazing work they're doing on Daredevil.
    I am someone who is Spider-Man exclusive, so I am far from knowledgeable about other comics. What I do like ( so far), is Spencer ( especially when compared to the two previous writers). I want someone who can keep Spencer’s continuity while putting his ( or her) own stamp on the comic. My question is who fits those criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am someone who is Spider-Man exclusive, so I am far from knowledgeable about other comics. What I do like ( so far), is Spencer ( especially when compared to the two previous writers). I want someone who can keep Spencer’s continuity while putting his ( or her) own stamp on the comic. My question is who fits those criteria?
    Al Ewing. He's not only an amazing writer, and not many respect (and know) continuity as much as him. Also, He always has ambitious, unique visions for just about every ongoing He's written so far.

Al Ewing. He's not only an amazing writer, and not many respect (and know) continuity as much as him. Also, He always has ambitious, unique visions for just about every ongoing He's written so far.
    He definetly could do something unique with Spider-Man, plus he knows his continuity well, i love how he remembered that time when a cosmic powered Spider-Man kicked Fixit ass, Joey still resents him for that.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona