Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Spectacular Member

Al Ewing/Adam Kubert. Yeah, it's weird but I would love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    As a general rule, the more you feature and write Spider-Man outside his books, the less chances you get for writing ASM proper.
    I'm not so sure about that.

When they had rotating writers during Brand New Day...
    Dan Slott used Spider-Man every chance he could.
    Mark Guggenheim had Spider-Man guest-starr in Blade.
    Bob Gale had a Spider-Man cameo in his Daredevil run.
    Zeb Wells had written issues of Tangled Web, Peter Parker Spider-Man and some mini-series.
    Mark Waid had written a House of M tie-in mini series, and had Spider-Man guest starr in Fantastic Four.

JMS had never written for Marvel before, let alone Spider-Man, although that was a case of Marvel wanting a major outsider.

Nick Spencer made a very deliberate choice not to write Spider-Man, but that was more about his process more than anything else.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The obvious choice would be Chip, but after life story I think he’s said everything he can with the character. That story in my eyes is an instant classic and such a nice send off for him as a Spiderman writer.

I love Donny Gates, so I’m not necessarily against him.

The issue with writing Spider-man is the fact that he’s a difficult character for writers to get a grasp of. You have to find a way to balance the wisecracking while also making him come off as an experienced, mature adult superhero. Far too often writers have him come off as Deadpool or some harmless court jester.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    The obvious choice would be Chip, but after life story I think he’s said everything he can with the character. That story in my eyes is an instant classic and such a nice send off for him as a Spiderman writer.

I love Donny Gates, so I’m not necessarily against him.

The issue with writing Spider-man is the fact that he’s a difficult character for writers to get a grasp of. You have to find a way to balance the wisecracking while also making him come off as an experienced, mature adult superhero. Far too often writers have him come off as Deadpool or some harmless court jester.
    Indeed, though I would say that writers can do a good job with the wisecracking if they remember that it's a mask just like the literal one he wears over his face. The mask he wears over his face to hide his identity, the wisecracking he uses to hide his inner turmoil. Keep that in mind, and you're pretty much golden. As for the Deadpool reference, even Deadpool is a much more tormented and conflicted character than he acts, though only some writers these days seem to understand that about him, so he and Spider-Man are in the same boat.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Cates & Rodriguez.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

My dream picks for writer would be either Matt Fraction or Christopher Yost. My dream picks for artist would be Marco Checchetto, Marcos Martin, or Pepe Larraz.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

I'm gonna go on a leap and also say Donny Cates. From what I've seen of his Spider-Man in what little he did in Absolute Carnage, he at least had the right idea of who Spider-Man was and what he would do. Nothing that Peter did there felt out of character, and I love his work on Venom (I know his Thor run has been ups and downs. But I feel he is more consistent with Venom at least)

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

This is more of the Joke choice, but I was wondering what if Grant Morrison or Alan Moore decided to write Spider-Man. That would be definitely interesting choice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post
    This is more of the Joke choice, but I was wondering what if Grant Morrison or Alan Moore decided to write Spider-Man. That would be definitely interesting choice.
    Alan Moore has said a few things about Spider-Man:

If you take a look at a current Spider-Man comic, you’ll find that he’s maybe twenty years old, he worries a lot about whats right and what’s wrong, and he has a lot of trouble with his girlfriends...Do you know what Spider-Man was doing fifteen years ago? Well, he was about nineteen years old, he worried a lot about what was right and what was wrong and he had a lot of trouble with his girlfriends.
    — Alan Moore, Blinded by the Hype, 1983, The Daredevils.

That 1983 during the Roger Stern run. So I think Moore would have been more interested in Spider-Man when he got married than now. In the documentary on Steve Ditko, Moore said that he lost some interest in Spider-Man when Romita Sr. took over, feeling that he prettied up the cast too much even if he admits that some of the stories in that run were good.

Grant Morrison speaks about Spider-Man somewhat in Supergods where he describes him IIRC as some kind of teenage showboating kid, and an embodiment of the adolescent worldview against the pure pantheon of DC or whatever...that didn't make sense but GM is really a "DC rules Marvel drools" kinda guy.

I think if Alan Moore did a run on Spider-Man it would be closer to JMS and JMD while Grant Morrison's run would be closer to BND and Slott...

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    I'm gonna go on a leap and also say Donny Cates. From what I've seen of his Spider-Man in what little he did in Absolute Carnage, he at least had the right idea of who Spider-Man was and what he would do. Nothing that Peter did there felt out of character, and I love his work on Venom (I know his Thor run has been ups and downs. But I feel he is more consistent with Venom at least)
    Of course the flipside of that is I think Cates more than any other current writer would probably be the one who would lean in the most into the whole "Web of Life" stuff.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=CrimsonEchidna;5206978]Of course the flipside of that is I think Cates more than any other current writer would probably be the one who would lean in the most into the whole "Web of Life" stuff.[/QUOTE
    I am no expert on writers but one factor for Marvel is whoever takes over for Spencer will have the added responsibility of writing Amazing 1000, and while it does not have to be Kraven’s Last Hunt or the Master Planner Saga, they know they cannot afford to have a OMD/Sins Past/Year One/Clone Saga/Other/Silk type of bad story either which makes me think they will not go with a newbie or someone whose ideas are far out of the mainstream ( like Dan Slott).

Mighty Member

[QUOTE=NC_Yankee;5207121]
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Of course the flipside of that is I think Cates more than any other current writer would probably be the one who would lean in the most into the whole "Web of Life" stuff.[/QUOTE
    I am no expert on writers but one factor for Marvel is whoever takes over for Spencer will have the added responsibility of writing Amazing 1000, and while it does not have to be Kraven’s Last Hunt or the Master Planner Saga, they know they cannot afford to have a OMD/Sins Past/Year One/Clone Saga/Other/Silk type of bad story either which makes me think they will not go with a newbie or someone whose ideas are far out of the mainstream ( like Dan Slott).
    Not exactly, it all depends when Spencer finishes his run. If he goes for 100 issues, then the next writer will most likely get to #1000.

But I believe Spencer is on ASM for another year which would put him short of the 100 issue mark, and I doubt whoever takes the title next will want to do 100+ issues just so they can get to #1000.

On that note, I've started to believe that maybe Spencer is helping Rosenberg with becoming the next writer. It makes sense if they're working on the .LR issues together. It means there would be a smoother transition down the line for when Spencer decides to end his run.

I would like to see Cates get a chance to work on Spider-man, but I don't think he is ready yet. He already has his hands full with Venom, Thor and numerous titles over at image. I'm certain we'll see him however, maybe after #1000 (with him getting a back-up in said issue like Bendis with Superman).

So my guess is that the next ten years is going to see Cates and Rosenberg on the main title in some form.