Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Default Opinions on a Next Creative Team

Guys/Girls, after Spencer's run, what would be your next creative team? Any favorites?

Mine would be Zdarsky/Checchetto, for the amazing work they're doing on Daredevil.

Donny Cates.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    Donny Cates.
    I liked his writing before. No more.

Totally limited and has zero range. he would be one of my last choices.

I'm not completly convinced by Cates considering his Absolute Carnage, but that mostly has to do with me not being a big fan of anti-hero Venom, he was otherwise fine.

I kind of want to see PAD having a proper run in ASM but that would never happen.

Kirkman would also be an interesting option, but i doubt than that is possible.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Kelly Thompson/Pepe Larraz

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I'm not completly convinced by Cates considering his Absolute Carnage, but that mostly has to do with me not being a big fan of anti-hero Venom, he was otherwise fine.

I kind of want to see PAD having a proper run in ASM but that would never happen.

Kirkman would also be an interesting option, but i doubt than that is possible.
    Agreed on Kirkman. Another (not possible) choice I'd like to see would be Geoff Johns: Hulk and Spidey are, by far, his favorite Marvel characters, the ones He repeated several times He would buy and bring to DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Kelly Thompson/Pepe Larraz
    That's a fantastic creative team. Particularly, Larraz is perfect for Spidey.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Chip Zdarsky (with Marco Checchetto) having a run on The Amazing Spider-Man after relaunching Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man and then doing Spider-Man: Life Story would be incredible. And yeah, I'd be interested in seeing what Kelly Thompson or Leah Williams could bring to Spider-Man, since I liked Thompson's respect for Peter/MJ in Jessica Jones: Blind Spot, and Williams did such an excellent job with Amazing Mary Jane, I'd love to see if she could work some of that same magic with Peter. After that scene in the AXIS tie-in for Captain America and the Mighty Avengers where Spider-Man briefly brandished Captain America's shield to rebuke the Inverted Avengers for their strongarm tactics against the Mighty Avengers, proclaiming that that wasn't how Avengers --- or heroes in general --- were supposed to behave, I'd love to see Al Ewing do a Spider-Man run, too, especially in a similar vein to Immortal Hulk where he could reinterpret and redefine the Spider-Mythos.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

I'm not feeling Kirkman as an artist. It feels like something out of the Simpsons.

BANNED

Donny Cates has thrown his hat in the ring a while back, and he's a proven seller what with Venom doing well on his work and all. At the same time, I'm not entirely sure he'd be the best fit for Spider-Man.

I like Gerry Duggan's work on Marauders and Cable, and I think he might be a good fit for Spider-Man in terms of humor and seriousness.

Zdarsky I think wants to move over to DC after he does Daredevil, which he said multiple times is his favorite comic. After you do your fave what is there to compare?

Another name I'd like to throw in is Christopher Cantwell. Cantwell's made a name for himself as a writer for his Doctor Doom series, and his first issue for Iron Man I thought was quite good. So he might do well with Spider-Man. He's shown interest in Spider-Man characters as the final panel of Doctor Doom #7 makes clear. Cantwell's writing in Doom and Iron Man is all about taking a (very JMS-esque) down-to-earth approach to big characters, and that makes him a natural fit for "the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man".

As for artists -- Pepe Larraz is good, actually the X-Men artists right now are pretty good in general (except for Fallen Angels) and just raiding the X-Cabinet is a good idea.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 09-28-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Zdarsky I think wants to move over to DC after he does Daredevil, which he said multiple times is his favorite comic. After you do your fave what is there to compare?
    I also think Zdarsky has said pretty much everything he has left to say about Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I also think Zdarsky has said pretty much everything he has left to say about Spider-Man.
    Music for my ears.

As for another writer, i kind of want to see Jody Houser take on Peter, i mean his was a supporting characther in her Renew Your Vows and maybe she isn't going to do a great job with him as the lead, but i'm willing to give her a chance.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Chip Zdarsky (with Marco Checchetto) having a run on The Amazing Spider-Man after relaunching Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man and then doing Spider-Man: Life Story would be incredible. And yeah, I'd be interested in seeing what Kelly Thompson or Leah Williams could bring to Spider-Man, since I liked Thompson's respect for Peter/MJ in Jessica Jones: Blind Spot, and Williams did such an excellent job with Amazing Mary Jane, I'd love to see if she could work some of that same magic with Peter. After that scene in the AXIS tie-in for Captain America and the Mighty Avengers where Spider-Man briefly brandished Captain America's shield to rebuke the Inverted Avengers for their strongarm tactics against the Mighty Avengers, proclaiming that that wasn't how Avengers --- or heroes in general --- were supposed to behave, I'd love to see Al Ewing do a Spider-Man run, too, especially in a similar vein to Immortal Hulk where he could reinterpret and redefine the Spider-Mythos.
    I couldn't agree more.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Donny Cates has thrown his hat in the ring a while back, and he's a proven seller what with Venom doing well on his work and all. At the same time, I'm not entirely sure he'd be the best fit for Spider-Man.

I like Gerry Duggan's work on Marauders and Cable, and I think he might be a good fit for Spider-Man in terms of humor and seriousness.

Another name I'd like to throw in is Christopher Cantwell. Cantwell's made a name for himself as a writer for his Doctor Doom series, and his first issue for Iron Man I thought was quite good. So he might do well with Spider-Man. He's shown interest in Spider-Man characters as the final panel of Doctor Doom #7 makes clear. Cantwell's writing in Doom and Iron Man is all about taking a (very JMS-esque) down-to-earth approach to big characters, and that makes him a natural fit for "the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man".

As for artists -- Pepe Larraz is good, actually the X-Men artists right now are pretty good in general (except for Fallen Angels) and just raiding the X-Cabinet is a good idea.
    Christopher Cantwell could be an interesting pick for Spider-Man. Given that so far, his Doctor Doom and Iron Man would indicate a penchant for epic (and epically flawed) protagonists that he can bring down to Earth and humanize in a way that other writers before couldn't or didn't, I'd be curious to see his take on Spider-Man, who's already (among) the most down-to-Earth and humanized of Marvel's top-tier characters.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Music for my ears.

As for another writer, i kind of want to see Jody Houser take on Peter, i mean his was a supporting characther in her Renew Your Vows and maybe she isn't going to do a great job with him as the lead, but i'm willing to give her a chance.
    Thanks for mentioning Jody Houser. I liked her Renew Your Vows, especially issue 19 (a flashback to Annie's younger years) that focused more on Peter and Mary Jane's marriage, and she had a pretty good take on Peter addressing the "great power, great responsibility" speech to a teenaged Annie in her first arc. With those in mind, I think she could do a pretty good job with Peter's character, particularly juxtaposed with his and Mary Jane's relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    I couldn't agree more.
    Thanks.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Christopher Cantwell could be an interesting pick for Spider-Man. Given that so far, his Doctor Doom and Iron Man would indicate a penchant for epic (and epically flawed) protagonists that he can bring down to Earth and humanize in a way that other writers before couldn't or didn't, I'd be curious to see his take on Spider-Man, who's already (among) the most down-to-Earth and humanized of Marvel's top-tier characters.

Thanks for mentioning Jody Houser. I liked her Renew Your Vows, especially issue 19 (a flashback to Annie's younger years) that focused more on Peter and Mary Jane's marriage, and she had a pretty good take on Peter addressing the "great power, great responsibility" speech to a teenaged Annie in her first arc. With those in mind, I think she could do a pretty good job with Peter's character, particularly juxtaposed with his and Mary Jane's relationship.

Thanks.
    I still dissapointed that i didn't get my clones and i felt cheated for that. But i did enjoy the run, even if it was less Spider-Family and more "Annie are you ok?..." . Plus that 19 issue was awesome.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In practical terms, only a small handful of writers on a second series ongoing has ever gone on to do ASM. So Zdarsky is out on that ground alone.

As a rule editors like to give ASM to writers who will
    A) do a long run,
    B) are incentivized to do a long run, i.e. hadn't done many long runs before and so for them Spider-Man is the big break.

So generally ASM was given to writers who are somewhat new to Marvel, people of a slightly lower profile than others.