Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    I liked his writing before. No more.

Totally limited and has zero range. he would be one of my last choices.
    Are you saying that you just realized now that he's limited and has zero range? Or that his current work has disappointed you? Because these are two different things.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Are you saying that you just realized now that he's limited and has zero range? Or that his current work has disappointed you? Because these are two different things.
    I think that he is saying that he liked his writing at the begining, but that now he realized that he is a one-trick pony, at least thats how i understand it.

Personally, i haven't read enought with Cates to know how true is that.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In practical terms, only a small handful of writers on a second series ongoing has ever gone on to do ASM. So Zdarsky is out on that ground alone.

As a rule editors like to give ASM to writers who will
    A) do a long run,
    B) are incentivized to do a long run, i.e. hadn't done many long runs before and so for them Spider-Man is the big break.

So generally ASM was given to writers who are somewhat new to Marvel, people of a slightly lower profile than others.
    It's often gone to people who wrote the character before on a satellite book.

Gerry Conway had written Spider-Man in Marvel Team-Up before taking over from Stan Lee.
    Len Wein had written Spider-Man in Marvel Team Up before taking over from Gerry Conway.
    Roger Stern has written Spider-Man in Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man before taking over from Denny O'Neil.
    David Michelinie had written Spider-Man in Web of Spider-Man before taking over from Tom DeFalco.
    JM DeMatteis had written Spider-Man in Marvel Team Up and Spectacular Spider-Man before taking over from David Michelinie.
    Tom DeFalco came on-board for a second run.
    Howard Mackie had written Spider-Man/ Peter Parker Spider-Man before they brought him to Amazing Spider-Man for the 1998 relaunch.
    Dan Slott had a Spider-Man/Human Torch mini-series before he was one of the web-heads during the Brand New Day era, at which point he stuck around as the main writer.

Aspiring Spider-Man writers can have different attitudes about how they approach the character. Dan Slott took every chance he could to write guest-star appearances. Nick Spencer avoided telling stories with Spider-Man, so that his take on the character would be a bigger deal.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

It's often gone to people who wrote the character before on a satellite book.
    Well that depends on how you define a Satellite book. Your approach is a little too big tent. To me a satellite Spider-Man is a title that like ASM focuses on Spider-Man and his supporting cast but tells a story parallel to and in a different form in comparison to ASM.

Marvel Team-Up doesn't count. Miniseries and so on also don't count.

For me satellite titles are Spectacular, Web of Spider-Man, Friendly Neighborhood, Sensational, and so on. A satellite title is ongoing.

By that light only Stern, Michelinie qualify as writers who went from satellites to main and did lengthy runs. JMD is another example but he wrote as part of the Clone Saga writing team and his run didn't feature stories that he completely directed as Michelinie did before him.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I still dissapointed that i didn't get my clones and i felt cheated for that. But i did enjoy the run, even if it was less Spider-Family and more "Annie are you ok?..." . Plus that 19 issue was awesome.
    Yeah, I was also disappointed by that, but I did like Mister Sinister branching out to screwing with the Spider-Family, as a fan of Spider-Man/X-Men team-ups.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

What I'm trying to say is that I've read basically everything He's written for Marvel:I enjoyed Thanos quite a bit (there are some problems with it, though), his Venom was great for a long time, but Has greatly dropped in quality, his Death of Inhumans was mediocre, his GotG was mediocre too (lots of promises, but it did go nowhere fast, and He realized he doesn't know how to write team books, which is, by itself, a severe limitation in writing skills), SS:Black was really good, and his Thor started well (nothing more than that) .

Comparing Thor and Venom, he rehashes themes (something that has been criticized in quite a few reviews) with "dark gods" and all that. Also, another critic is that he always shoves his pet creations, like Cosmic Ghost Rider and Knull, basically in everything He writes.

The final critic is that He's not exactly great with continuity and it's extremely awful in some aspects, like power levels, for example.

So I could say, imo of course, his current/recent work has been good, at best, but mostly mediocre. I realized that it has to do with his limitations as a writer and his lack of range. See, I've read most of his more than once work to be fair in my analysis, so that's my conclusion.

Again, just my opinion.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I think that he is saying that he liked his writing at the begining, but that now he realized that he is a one-trick pony, at least thats how i understand it.

Personally, i haven't read enought with Cates to know how true is that.
    Damn, I don't even know why I wrote so much in my previous post. You said it much better than I did.

BANNED

What I'm trying to say is that I've read basically everything He's written for Marvel:I enjoyed Thanos quite a bit (there are some problems with it, though), his Venom was great for a long time, but Has greatly dropped in quality, his Death of Inhumans was mediocre, his GotG was mediocre too (lots of promises, but it did go nowhere fast, and He realized he doesn't know how to write team books, which is, by itself, a severe limitation in writing skills), SS:Black was really good, and his Thor started well (nothing more than that) .

Comparing Thor and Venom, he rehashes themes (something that has been criticized in quite a few reviews) with "dark gods" and all that. Also, another critic is that he always shoves his pet creations, like Cosmic Ghost Rider and Knull, basically in everything He writes.

The final critic is that He's not exactly great with continuity and it's extremely awful in some aspects, like power levels, for example.

So I could say, imo of course, his current/recent work has been good, at best, but mostly mediocre. I realized that it has to do with his limitations as a writer and his lack of range. See, I've read most of his more than once work to be fair in my analysis, so that's my conclusion.

Again, just my opinion.
    That's actually a good take. I agree that Cates has fairly limited range. I actually soured on Cates after seeing his one-shot for Marvel Comics #1000 with Spider-Man. I didn't like it one bit and it felt just wrong for the character.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 09-28-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Damn, I don't even know why I wrote so much in my previous post. You said it much better than I did.
    Years of practice . Plus i heard similar complains before.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Chip Zdarksy or Christopher Yost. Yost is criminally underrated. I also like Tom Taylor.

Astonishing Member

I’d actually prefer if Cates was the writer in this case. He might actually write good supernatural stories for Spider-Man.

I would love more concrete lore on Spider-Totems than leaving everything open-ended.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Cates for a few years would be nice. Have no issues with his writing of more “street books” his Venom is great. It’s where he has bigger power levels where he wavers abit.

how about a robot duplicate of nick spencer, a robo spencer, if you will. other potential names include but are not limited to: whirr-click! spencer, nick spencgear, it's 7am and i havent slept what is my life, and beep bop boop bip spencer
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I’d actually prefer if Cates was the writer in this case. He might actually write good supernatural stories for Spider-Man.

I would love more concrete lore on Spider-Totems than leaving everything open-ended.
    I'd leave the totems to a side-book, personally...

Astonishing Member

Guys/Girls, after Spencer's run, what would be your next creative team? Any favorites?

Mine would be Zdarsky/Checchetto, for the amazing work they're doing on Daredevil.
    I am someone who is Spider-Man exclusive, so I am far from knowledgeable about other comics. What I do like ( so far), is Spencer ( especially when compared to the two previous writers). I want someone who can keep Spencer’s continuity while putting his ( or her) own stamp on the comic. My question is who fits those criteria?