Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am someone who is Spider-Man exclusive, so I am far from knowledgeable about other comics. What I do like ( so far), is Spencer ( especially when compared to the two previous writers). I want someone who can keep Spencer’s continuity while putting his ( or her) own stamp on the comic. My question is who fits those criteria?
    Al Ewing. He's not only an amazing writer, and not many respect (and know) continuity as much as him. Also, He always has ambitious, unique visions for just about every ongoing He's written so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Al Ewing. He's not only an amazing writer, and not many respect (and know) continuity as much as him. Also, He always has ambitious, unique visions for just about every ongoing He's written so far.
    He definetly could do something unique with Spider-Man, plus he knows his continuity well, i love how he remembered that time when a cosmic powered Spider-Man kicked Fixit ass, Joey still resents him for that.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Thank you for the information.

I like Ewing but I don't think he'd be a fit for the main ASM title.

Not because he's not talented or can't write a variety of different books but it feels too small scale compared to the titles he usually writes.

I'd vote for Christopher Priest as writer with Olivier Coipel as the penciler.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like Ewing but I don't think he'd be a fit for the main ASM title.

Not because he's not talented or can't write a variety of different books but it feels too small scale compared to the titles he usually writes.
    I would say that Spider-Man stories don't have to be "small scale," per se. A lot of the charm of Spider-Man's involvement in the bigger Marvel stories is that he's essentially an ordinary man, albeit with extraordinary abilities, thrown into extraordinary events and circumstances and surviving, or even triumphing, against extraordinary odds by virtue of his sheer courage, wit, and determination. Ewing could capture that very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    That would be interesting, at least if Coipel could keep it up for a whole arc or so, although I thought he wasn't doing interiors anymore.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I would say that Spider-Man stories don't have to be "small scale," per se. A lot of the charm of Spider-Man's involvement in the bigger Marvel stories is that he's essentially an ordinary man, albeit with extraordinary abilities, thrown into extraordinary events and circumstances and surviving, or even triumphing, against extraordinary odds by virtue of his sheer courage, wit, and determination. Ewing could capture that very well.

That would be interesting, at least if Coipel could keep it up for a whole arc or so, although I thought he wasn't doing interiors anymore.
    Knowing Ewing, he probably would expand the Spider-Totem stuff. Maybe he could make an Spider-Verse story that is actually cool.
    Last edited by TheCape; 09-29-2020 at 02:57 PM.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    50/50, i love his Spider-Man vs Wolverine story and he could bring some fresh ideas to the characther (or at least use the old tropes in creative ways), but his voice Peter sounds a bit odd to me sometimes, i kind pintpoint what it is, but his charactherization never clicked 100% with me.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Knowing Ewing, he probably would expand the Spider-Totem stuff. Maybe he could make an Spider-Verse story that is actually cool.
    I would not support the Spider Totem. There are four things I would love to see disappear from Spider-Man. 1: Cindy Moon. 2: Clones.3: Totem. 4: OMD, Those four things make Sins Past and Year One look good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I would not support the Spider Totem. There are four things I would love to see disappear from Spider-Man. 1: Cindy Moon. 2: Clones.3: Totem. 4: OMD, Those four things make Sins Past and Year One look good.
    Add Vulture and Kraven to the list. They have lived way too long for what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Well that depends on how you define a Satellite book. Your approach is a little too big tent. To me a satellite Spider-Man is a title that like ASM focuses on Spider-Man and his supporting cast but tells a story parallel to and in a different form in comparison to ASM.

Marvel Team-Up doesn't count. Miniseries and so on also don't count.

For me satellite titles are Spectacular, Web of Spider-Man, Friendly Neighborhood, Sensational, and so on. A satellite title is ongoing.

By that light only Stern, Michelinie qualify as writers who went from satellites to main and did lengthy runs. JMD is another example but he wrote as part of the Clone Saga writing team and his run didn't feature stories that he completely directed as Michelinie did before him.
    Marvel Team Up is definitely a satellite book in that it is an ongoing title with the character. A writer's work on the book gives a sense of their voice for the character, as occurs with anyone who writes mini-series or prominent guest-appearances.

Some satellites will be radically different from the normal Amazing Spider-Man, and that's fine. It shouldn't just be stories of Amazing Spider-Man that don't fit into that book.

As for the actual writer, the smartest move might be for Marvel to go with someone big. DC seems to be going for lower budgets for their ongoings, so a strategy for Marvel would be to go for an A-list writer on their big title, and dominate the sales charts.

This would be after Nick Spencer is done telling his story. He's doing okay.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Marvel Team Up is definitely a satellite book in that it is an ongoing title with the character.
    The character's name isn't in the title though. That counts for a lot.

Most MTU stories were standalone revolving on Spider-Man palling around with whichever little known hero Marvel wanted to spotlight.

A writer's work on the book gives a sense of their voice for the character, as occurs with anyone who writes mini-series or prominent guest-appearances.
    A writer's work in any title gives a voice for the character. Spider-Man has appeared in cameos and appearances in other titles and ongoing and people judge the writer on how they portray Spider-Man in that story and so on. But that doesn't make any title with Spider-Man cameoing in it a satellite title.

Some satellites will be radically different from the normal Amazing Spider-Man, and that's fine. It shouldn't just be stories of Amazing Spider-Man that don't fit into that book.
    A promo title built on Spider-Man partnering with obscure Marvel heroes can't be measured the same way.

As for the actual writer, the smartest move might be for Marvel to go with someone big.
    By big who do you have in mind? Because there aren't many big writers right now. Hickman is the biggest certainly but he's currently Head of X and he's never really had interest or chops in solo superhero stories. Most of his stuff for Marvel is big team books. Kieron Gillen is another "big" name and him writing on Spider-Man will be interesting for certain but he's too devoted to independent titles and Marvel has grown accustomed to throwing Gillen at lower-profile titles and special miniseries. Bendis probably won't be interested in being a writer for ASM, and he's also a big name (though somewhat diminished upon moving to DC). Tom King used to be big, but his stock has fallen.

Tom Taylor is another option. FNSM was quite good and his DCeased sold well and he's doing a big event for Marvel next year, per FCBD.

And in any case, historically ASM has never gone to the biggest high profile name on comics at the time. When Roger Stern wrote ASM he still hadn't become a major name, nor did Tom Defalco, nor before them Conway, Wein, or Wolfman. Michelinie had a higher profile owing to his successful run on Iron Man but Chris Claremont at the time was Marvel's biggest writer, as was Frank Miller. JMS comes close but he had success on TV and rarely in comics, so it's not the best. Dan Slott was also little known among comics fans before he started on BND...and in any case since finishing ASM he's not A-list anymore (as evidenced by his weak IM runs and unpopular run on FF). ASM has always been a stable for little known writers and others with talents to hold the spotlight before making it big. So someone like Gerry Duggan who's making a name for himself writing the most beloved of all secondary x-titles (Marauders) is a good one to try, as is Christopher Cantwell.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 09-29-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Spectacular Member

Todd McFarlane

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's exactly what I think. Someone as creative as Ewing can find the right angle to write just about every great character out there. Spidey is one of the most complete characters in comics, and I say it in every aspect.

Another thing is that, as seen in IH (for example), He comes up with very interesting supporting characters and has a great talent to create and/or revamp villains.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    After reading Immortal Hulk and his Ultimates, I'm also fairly sure Ewing could reinvent, reinterpret, or just refresh the Spider-Verse concept in a truly epic fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Add Vulture and Kraven to the list. They have lived way too long for what they do.
    Kraven's already dead, thanks to Hunted. It's his clone "son" that's out there keeping the name alive. As for Vulture, yeah, it's been tried, but it never seems to stick. At least Starling over in Miles Morales: Spider-Man gives him some potential for a different hook to his character.

That's exactly what I think. Someone as creative as Ewing can find the right angle to write just about every great character out there. Spidey is one of the most complete characters in comics, and I say it in every aspect.

Another thing is that, as seen in IH (for example), He comes up with very interesting supporting characters and has a great talent to create and/or revamp villains.
    Indeed, and given that Immortal Hulk made it so that (gamma) radiation that inexplicably gave superpowers instead of cancer actually came from hell itself, or the place below even that, I'd be curious to see how he'd reinterpret the "radioactive spider" that bit Peter Parker all those years ago, or the villains in his rogues gallery that also got powers via radiation exposure.
    The spider is always on the hunt.