Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

The fact that the “new” Kraven looks and acts exactly like the old one kinda hurts the idea that Kraven’s dead. Spencer basically reset Kraven.

I want him gone.

Astonishing Member

Neil Gaiman
    Victor Gischler
    Kelly Thompson
    Chris Claremont
    Jason Arron

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    After reading Immortal Hulk and his Ultimates, I'm also fairly sure Ewing could reinvent, reinterpret, or just refresh the Spider-Verse concept in a truly epic fashion.

Kraven's already dead, thanks to Hunted. It's his clone "son" that's out there keeping the name alive. As for Vulture, yeah, it's been tried, but it never seems to stick. At least Starling over in Miles Morales: Spider-Man gives him some potential for a different hook to his character.

Indeed, and given that Immortal Hulk made it so that (gamma) radiation that inexplicably gave superpowers instead of cancer actually came from hell itself, or the place below even that, I'd be curious to see how he'd reinterpret the "radioactive spider" that bit Peter Parker all those years ago, or the villains in his rogues gallery that also got powers via radiation exposure.
    We have already been down that road with Requiem and MJ. By the way, this is a comic that I prefer more then most people do.

Christopher Yost. His Scarlet Spider was really good and I would like to see his take on Spidey.
    As for an artist, I dont know. I would love to see Romita jr. again.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The character's name isn't in the title though. That counts for a lot.

Most MTU stories were standalone revolving on Spider-Man palling around with whichever little known hero Marvel wanted to spotlight.

A writer's work in any title gives a voice for the character. Spider-Man has appeared in cameos and appearances in other titles and ongoing and people judge the writer on how they portray Spider-Man in that story and so on. But that doesn't make any title with Spider-Man cameoing in it a satellite title.

A promo title built on Spider-Man partnering with obscure Marvel heroes can't be measured the same way.

By big who do you have in mind? Because there aren't many big writers right now. Hickman is the biggest certainly but he's currently Head of X and he's never really had interest or chops in solo superhero stories. Most of his stuff for Marvel is big team books. Kieron Gillen is another "big" name and him writing on Spider-Man will be interesting for certain but he's too devoted to independent titles and Marvel has grown accustomed to throwing Gillen at lower-profile titles and special miniseries. Bendis probably won't be interested in being a writer for ASM, and he's also a big name (though somewhat diminished upon moving to DC). Tom King used to be big, but his stock has fallen.

Tom Taylor is another option. FNSM was quite good and his DCeased sold well and he's doing a big event for Marvel next year, per FCBD.

And in any case, historically ASM has never gone to the biggest high profile name on comics at the time. When Roger Stern wrote ASM he still hadn't become a major name, nor did Tom Defalco, nor before them Conway, Wein, or Wolfman. Michelinie had a higher profile owing to his successful run on Iron Man but Chris Claremont at the time was Marvel's biggest writer, as was Frank Miller. JMS comes close but he had success on TV and rarely in comics, so it's not the best. Dan Slott was also little known among comics fans before he started on BND...and in any case since finishing ASM he's not A-list anymore (as evidenced by his weak IM runs and unpopular run on FF). ASM has always been a stable for little known writers and others with talents to hold the spotlight before making it big. So someone like Gerry Duggan who's making a name for himself writing the most beloved of all secondary x-titles (Marauders) is a good one to try, as is Christopher Cantwell.
    There's a history of comic titles that don't have a character's name, so it's not that big a deal.

It's also possible that a future A-lister will have a great pitch, and bring the series to major success, and there may be times when the best strategy isn't to go for an A-lister. However, with DC throwing in the towel, going with a name writer makes sense.

Granted, there is a shortage of name writers. Among writers with ongoings, it's basically Grant Morrison, Scott Snyder, Tom King, Brian Michael Bendis, Jonathan Hickman, Donny Cates, Jason Aaron, Mark Waid, Al Ewing and Kieron Gillen. Jason Aaron had a good take on the character, but it's been a while.

Tom Taylor had a decent take on the character, but it didn't exactly light sales charts on fire.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Another name I don't want on ASM: Jason Aaron...Simply mediocre writer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    However, with DC throwing in the towel, going with a name writer makes sense.
    Just to be clear, what do you mean by DC throwing the towel? Pulling out of Diamond, decimatng its staff? This is a general question, not one of my usual leading ones. Just want to know.

Among writers with ongoings, it's basically Grant Morrison,
    Won't come back to Marvel, and would be a very poor fit for Spider-Man.

Scott Snyder,
    Maybe, but on the other hand he's a bit too dark.

Tom King,
    Not after the way his Batman run declined as time went on, after Heroes in Crisis, and certainly as a public defender of ending the Spider-Marriage, him signing on would not be a popular move.

Brian Michael Bendis,
    On record multiple times for preferring to write his own Ultimate Spider-Man version of Peter to 616.

Jonathan Hickman,
    Prefers team books to solo books though I think he did write Spider-Man well in the FF books. Besides X-Men is his all-time favorite Marvel title and he's currently, quite obviously, having a blast writing his favorite title. After he does X-Men, Hickman will go to DC (which he always prefered over Marvel as a young fan).

Donny Cates,
    Didn't like his Marvel Comics #1000 one-page and his range is limited.

Jason Aaron,
    Interesting. Yeah that might be worth a shot, he's certainly one of Marvel's biggest names right now.

Mark Waid,
    Ugh...no. Just no. He's damaged Spider-Man enough.

Al Ewing
    A popular choice here. I like Immortal Hulk but don't feel too strongly for or against him.

Kieron Gillen.
    Would love to see his take on Spider-Man but I just don't see Marvel giving it to him or him having such an interest in writing a character he wouldn't have freedom to do much with.

Tom Taylor had a decent take on the character, but it didn't exactly light sales charts on fire.
    Tom Taylor's FNSM did pretty well all things considered, it notably sold well enough to get an extension of additional issues. So I think that's quite good for a second series. Certainly better than, for instance, Gage's Superior Spider-Man series.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-01-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Tom Taylor would be a good choice, too, and I did like how he addressed Peter's character, brought back Hobie Brown/Prowler, and even depicted Peter's relationship with Mary Jane. Oh, and his Immortal Hulk/Spider-Man one-shot, "With Great Power," was a pretty solid depiction of Peter's friendship with and compassion for Bruce Banner and the Hulk, especially since spoilers:
    the Hulk never forgot who Spider-Man really was.
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

snyder hasn't moved yet and wants to write other marvel characters

king hasn't moved yet (and wouldnt have enough freedom and doesn't want fast shipping batman stuff again)

bendis has done enough

spider-man would be terrible for hickman, the setting and concepts are too limited for his type of meat, and the candy could turn out bad

cates is getting it /thread

aaron has the same issues as hickman although in his case the limitations could actually be good for him

waid would do fine but the fact that i already know that makes him boring + his passions are at DC

al ewing would put out good spider-man candy but would require the freedom to get weird in order to put out a book as good as hulk

too limited for actually good gillen stuff

no more tom taylor lol

kelly thompson's still pretty mid

duggan would do ok

zdarsky would do ok, who would take taylor over zdarsky

if the goal is a good spider-man run then whatever but if you wanna make it a must read book again some stars'll have to align or y'know big brain editors

i really think nick spencer would be perfect for asm tbh, fits him like a glove! what could go wrong?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

This might be the best opportunity to get new writers specifically for expanding Spidey’s horizons. Readers have gotten WAY too complacent with the type of stories Spider-Man is allowed to be in.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    This might be the best opportunity to get new writers specifically for expanding Spidey’s horizons. Readers have gotten WAY too complacent with the type of stories Spider-Man is allowed to be in.
    Agreed, though I'd say that complacency shouldn't just be ascribed to the readers, but higher up the chain of command --- specifically editorial and executives --- in Marvel the corporation.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    Christopher Yost. His Scarlet Spider was really good and I would like to see his take on Spidey.
    As for an artist, I dont know. I would love to see Romita jr. again.
    Yost had had his chance to do Spider-Man(Peter Parker) through his Scarlet Spider, Superior Spider-Man Team-up, and New Warriors run respectively. He didn't use that opportunity to his advantage.

Astonishing Member

Just to be clear, what do you mean by DC throwing the towel? Pulling out of Diamond, decimatng its staff? This is a general question, not one of my usual leading ones. Just want to know.

Not after the way his Batman run declined as time went on, after Heroes in Crisis, and certainly as a public defender of ending the Spider-Marriage, him signing on would not be a popular move.

On record multiple times for preferring to write his own Ultimate Spider-Man version of Peter to 616.

Prefers team books to solo books though I think he did write Spider-Man well in the FF books. Besides X-Men is his all-time favorite Marvel title and he's currently, quite obviously, having a blast writing his favorite title. After he does X-Men, Hickman will go to DC (which he always prefered over Marvel as a young fan).

Interesting. Yeah that might be worth a shot, he's certainly one of Marvel's biggest names right now.

A popular choice here. I like Immortal Hulk but don't feel too strongly for or against him.

Would love to see his take on Spider-Man but I just don't see Marvel giving it to him or him having such an interest in writing a character he wouldn't have freedom to do much with.

Tom Taylor's FNSM did pretty well all things considered, it notably sold well enough to get an extension of additional issues. So I think that's quite good for a second series. Certainly better than, for instance, Gage's Superior Spider-Man series.
    How about Neil Gaiman and Victor Gischler? They would be perfect to write Spider-Man...

DC seems to have a new editorial direction, where they don't care as much about the comics. A lot of books have been cancelled, and there's a general consensus that they're not willing to pay writers as much as they used to.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/goss...c-comics-2021/

I'm mainly naming A-list writers. Spider-Man is the biggest franchise Morrison has never touched, and the man has succeeded with the X-Men, the JLA, Batman, Superman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman.

I know that he's more into DC as well, but even his Spider-Man run were dark, it would likely be good.

Marvel's editorial position on the end of the spider-marriage is pretty clear.

While King has had some failures, most writers have not had his artistic successes.

Just naming A-listers.

I'm not sure DC is going to offer Hickman what Disney/ Marvel are willing to go with.

If Hickman's not interested in writing solo characters or Spider-Man, Marvel shouldn't force him. But if he has any interest, it's definitely worth exploring.

It was one page. He has written Spider-Man in crossovers. I also haven't gotten the impression that Silver Surfer Black is the same as his Venom, even when characters in common.

The Astonishing Spider-Man/ Wolverine mini-series was pretty good.

Mainly naming A-listers, although I liked his work on the character.

He has shown range with Immortal Hulk distinct from his Avengers tie-ins.

He is doing the Eternals relaunch for Marvel, so I'm not sure why they would be less willing to give him the book than someone else in their stable. It des all depend on his level of interest.

The last issues of FNSM were outside the Top 100, selling around 20,000 copies. I'm guessing the decision to add more issues was more about filling a publishing hole than about that one title being great.

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-10.html
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-12.html

Superior wasn't noticabley worse, and didn't starr Peter Parker.

One more writer I'd mention is Warren Ellis. His gonzo sci-fi sensibility could be a good fit for Spider-Man, creating new menaces after the Dan Slott and Nick Spencer runs which were largely about upgrading classic and B-list villains. There is the obvious problem of the Me Too scandal.

One writer who is definitely not an A-lister who Marvel should take a look at is Deniz Camp. He did a mini-series a few years ago called Maxwell's Demons, about a mad scientist at different stages of his life, and it was exceptional.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 10-03-2020 at 07:24 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    How about Neil Gaiman and Victor Gischler? They would be perfect to write Spider-Man...
    Not familiar with Gischler, so can't comment there.

As for Neil Gaiman, he has never in his career written a monthly ongoing superhero title. The only ongoing he wrote extensively was The Sandman and that's a DC Vertigo imprint that stepped way out of the superhero genre. He also wrote Miracleman but that's not a conventional superhero ongoing either. Most of his other work has been one-shots like the Villain Origins series he did, minis like Black Orchid, independent creator owned work. For Marvel he did 1602 and The Eternals. And of course he's dropped out of comics and focused on literary fiction for his main bread and butter. Point is Gaiman has never had an interest in working on superhero work. He's a dabbler in that field. As for Spider-Man, I didn't think the way he wrote Peter Parquarh in 1602 was especially interesting (nor for that matter was 1602 in general).

Besides, Marvel would have to pay big to get Gaiman to do Spider-Man given his prestige, his pedigree and the fact that he earns more than they usually pay writers to do Spider-Man (Dan Slott who wrote some 160 issues of Spider-Man probably didn't make as much in the last ten years as Gaiman did from writing one novel), so he's not gonna do it out of love. That's the main reason Marvel rarely gives big profile writers to do Spider-Man...they'd ask for too much money and given the fact that ASM is Marvel's most popular title and the title most often read by civilians (Spider-Man readers include a big chunk who don't read and will-never-read other Marvel titles or other superhero titles), it's going to be hard for Marvel to claim that Spider-Man doesn't make money. So they prefer to scale down the talent to people who are "fans" who "like comics" and who enjoy the fact that writing ASM will give them the biggest audience they have ever had and will ever have. Dan Slott was big when he wrote Spider-Man but the eyeballs who followed his run haven't followed him when he moved to Silver Surfer, to Fantastic Four and Iron Man. Short of writing Batman, he's never gonna have that audience again. In the case of Gaiman, he has eyeballs who will follow him and him alone no matter what he does, so to attract him to do Spider-Man would require a paycheck Marvel will not want to sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    DC seems to have a new editorial direction, where they don't care as much about the comics. A lot of books have been cancelled, and there's a general consensus that they're not willing to pay writers as much as they used to.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/goss...c-comics-2021/
    That's AT and T for you. And that's not really an editorial direction, that's the absence of direction, editorial or otherwise.

Marvel's editorial position on the end of the spider-marriage is pretty clear.
    The fact is that a writer who publicly endorsed that position and did so multiple times while promoting his tease of a marriage story in Batman/Catwoman (which was entirely irrelevant in the context of the DC Multiverse anyway), is not going to be a popular choice.

I'm not sure DC is going to offer Hickman what Disney/ Marvel are willing to go with.
    Probably not, but then Hickman will go back to creator owned work.

He is doing the Eternals relaunch for Marvel, so I'm not sure why they would be less willing to give him the book than someone else in their stable. It des all depend on his level of interest.
    Well see my response about Gaiman above. Kieron Gillen is seen as the successor of Moore and Gaiman, and he's had exceptional success in creator owned work (Once & Future, DIE, WicDiv, Uber, Phonogram, Three) so his agent would ask for more should they offer him Spider-Man.

I'm guessing the decision...
    Which means you don't know. The sales for FNSM and early issues and response was pretty high so that justified the extra issues.

One more writer I'd mention is Warren Ellis.
    Even if this was pre-2020, Ellis would have made a poor fit for Spider-Man regardless.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-03-2020 at 08:15 AM.