Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    Christopher Yost. His Scarlet Spider was really good and I would like to see his take on Spidey.
    As for an artist, I dont know. I would love to see Romita jr. again.
    Nice to see somebody else mention Christopher Yost, so underrated.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Nice to see somebody else mention Christopher Yost, so underrated.
    Yost is a great writer. When it comes to Spider-Man, he doesn't use the character to his advantage. For example, when Yost wrote The Superior Spider-Man Team-Up series, he never used the Black Widow and Spock. This could had been a follow up to Superior Spider-Man #8, whereby she sees a picture of Spidey and Doc Ock. This should have been a red flag to Spock's behavior.

https://comicnewbies.com/2015/03/29/...n-black-widow/
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 10-08-2020 at 12:32 AM.

Mighty Member

After reading amazing Mary-Jane, I’d be happy if Leah Williams was given the spider-man title for a while. She has a good blend of action and drama that fits the character well, plus we’d see MJ being given more of a spotlight.

Ewing would release a great Spider-man book, I liked how he handled him in Mighty Avengers and now we are over half a decade since that series and Ewing has improved as a writer, I’d like to see him being given the reigns for a while. After Hulk and Guardians, I’m sure he’ll have a bunch of time to do a couple of spider-man issues a month.

Donny Cates would be great for a short 12 issue run, I love cates, he is my favourite writer at the moment, but I feel he isn’t best suited for a long run on Spider-man. I’ll guess he has Spider-man next after Spencer.

Jason Aaron could do a good run on the book, I just don’t know if he is interested in the character enough.

Hickman would be a poor choice, and this is coming from a Hickman fan. I feel he’ll be too limited in how he executes the narrative. His team stuff works because they deal with high concepts, but give him a more personal, grounded story, I just don’t think he can pull that off.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    After reading amazing Mary-Jane, I’d be happy if Leah Williams was given the spider-man title for a while. She has a good blend of action and drama that fits the character well, plus we’d see MJ being given more of a spotlight.

Ewing would release a great Spider-man book, I liked how he handled him in Mighty Avengers and now we are over half a decade since that series and Ewing has improved as a writer, I’d like to see him being given the reigns for a while. After Hulk and Guardians, I’m sure he’ll have a bunch of time to do a couple of spider-man issues a month.

Donny Cates would be great for a short 12 issue run, I love cates, he is my favourite writer at the moment, but I feel he isn’t best suited for a long run on Spider-man. I’ll guess he has Spider-man next after Spencer.

Jason Aaron could do a good run on the book, I just don’t know if he is interested in the character enough.

Hickman would be a poor choice, and this is coming from a Hickman fan. I feel he’ll be too limited in how he executes the narrative. His team stuff works because they deal with high concepts, but give him a more personal, grounded story, I just don’t think he can pull that off.
    Jason Aaron did write Spider-Man in the six-part miniseries Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine, and I think it might have been him who wrote the issue of Avengers Vs. X-Men where Spidey held the line against Phoenix-powered Colossus and Magik so the Avengers being rescued from captivity in Limbo could successfully escape. That said, I could see Donny Cates doing a Marvel Knights-style 12-part saga, and I fully concur with you on Leah Williams and Al Ewing.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Jason Aaron did write Spider-Man in the six-part miniseries Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine, and I think it might have been him who wrote the issue of Avengers Vs. X-Men where Spidey held the line against Phoenix-powered Colossus and Magik so the Avengers being rescued from captivity in Limbo could successfully escape. That said, I could see Donny Cates doing a Marvel Knights-style 12-part saga, and I fully concur with you on Leah Williams and Al Ewing.
    I completely forgot about that mini. Honestly, Aaron could probably knock out a great Spider-Man book, he can be extremely good if his heart is in the book.

Spectacular Member

I'd love to see a women like Kelly Thompson or Gail Simone get a shot. Seems like we are overdue for a woman to have a shot at writing Spider-Man and I think they are both very talented ongoing writers

I completely forgot about that mini. Honestly, Aaron could probably knock out a great Spider-Man book, he can be extremely good if his heart is in the book.
    Yeah, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    I'd love to see a women like Kelly Thompson or Gail Simone get a shot. Seems like we are overdue for a woman to have a shot at writing Spider-Man and I think they are both very talented ongoing writers
    There have been female writers on Spider-Man before, like Ann Nocenti and Louise Simonson, though they don't seem to stick around for long. Gail Simone would be a good one, as she loves her some fiery redheads and it would almost guarantee Mary Jane's continued and prolonged presence in the Spider-Man books. Kelly Thompson wouldn't be so bad, either, I think. Maybe even bring back Jody Houser, since she seemed to grasp Peter's character pretty well in Renew Your Vows despite him being more of a supporting protagonist to Annie's primary protagonist.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, probably.

There have been female writers on Spider-Man before, like Ann Nocenti and Louise Simonson, though they don't seem to stick around for long. Gail Simone would be a good one, as she loves her some fiery redheads and it would almost guarantee Mary Jane's continued and prolonged presence in the Spider-Man books. Kelly Thompson wouldn't be so bad, either, I think. Maybe even bring back Jody Houser, since she seemed to grasp Peter's character pretty well in Renew Your Vows despite him being more of a supporting protagonist to Annie's primary protagonist.
    If Kelly Thompson wants to become the next Spider-Man writer, she needs to include him in her Captain Marvel series so that the audience can notice her depiction on the character, as well as his contribution to the Carol Corps in a non superhero role. This way she can follow Brian Reed's example of how bringing Spider-Man into Carol's world would not upstage her in anyway.

Astonishing Member

Jason Arron should have made Spider-Man a member of his Avengers. Any of Marvel's top writers who wants to do a Spider-Man story must first include him in their current comic book series run. This would give Arron a chance to develop his version on Peter Parker and how well he gets along with the team. Peter Parker and Captain Marvel are friends. Thus this would be a great way for Arron to use Spider-Man. I would like to see Arron develop a strong friendship between Jennifer Walters and Peter Parker as that would be a strong point to his run on the Avengers because Spider-Man was once a Hulk himself....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Any of Marvel's top writers who wants to do a Spider-Man story must first include him in their current comic book series run.
    This is a weird claim to make. That's not how Amazing Spider-Man auditions work.

Nick Spencer outright refused to write Peter Parker in any comic before he got to do ASM. Donny Cates has also voiced similar feelings noting with select exceptions he avoided featuring Spider-Man and Peter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    This is a weird claim to make. That's not how Amazing Spider-Man auditions work.

Nick Spencer outright refused to write Peter Parker in any comic before he got to do ASM. Donny Cates has also voiced similar feelings noting with select exceptions he avoided featuring Spider-Man and Peter.
    While Spencer and Cates might not have wanted to write Peter Parker in their books, there are writers who would have grabbed at the opportunity. There is too much segregation with comic titles already, and not enough migration of different characters going to other editorial departments. It would not hurt to have Peter featured in Avengers, Captain Marvel, or Captain Britain's world as the character is already established there. Brian Reed took advantage of using Spider-Man(whenever he could) during his run on Ms. Marvel(Carol Danvers) 2nd series.

Not every top writer(at Marvel) will ever have the opportunity to write a solo Spider-Man series. Thus, while assigned to other current series run, the writer(who wants to write Spider-Man) should use Spidey as a guest in that book(such as The Avengers or Excalibur) to showcase Parker is a different situation that he doesn't get to do in his own series...
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 10-17-2020 at 10:38 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    While Spencer and Cates might not have wanted to write Peter Parker in their books, there are writers who would have grabbed at the opportunity. There is too much segregation with comic titles already, and not enough migration of different characters going to other editorial departments. It would not hurt to have Peter featured in Avengers, Captain Marvel, or Captain Britain's world as the character is already established there. Brian Reed took advantage of using Spider-Man(whenever he could) during his run on Ms. Marvel(Carol Danvers) 2nd series.

Not every top writer(at Marvel) will ever have the opportunity to write a solo Spider-Man series. Thus, while assigned to other current series run, the writer(who wants to write Spider-Man) should use Spidey as a guest in that book(such as The Avengers or Excalibur) to showcase Parker is a different situation that he doesn't get to do in his own series...
    As a general rule, the more you feature and write Spider-Man outside his books, the less chances you get for writing ASM proper.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    As a general rule, the more you feature and write Spider-Man outside his books, the less chances you get for writing ASM proper.
    Most of Marvel's top writers will never get the chance to write a Spider-Man solo adventure, like Brian Reed, Joe Kelly, and Victor Gischler, for example. Each of those writers could at least put Spider-Man in their current projects whereby he helps the protagonists or his teammates. While they might not do a solo Spider-Man series, they can say that they got to do a Spider-Man story with one of their characters. What would be interesting is to see Warren Worthington(Angel) interacting with Norman Osborn and Liz Allan on a business deal.

Not sure if this has been said yet, forgive me if it has.. sort of jumping back into Spider-Man books..

But I think Gerry Duggan and an art team of Pepe Larraz and Mike Hawthorne would be perfect. They worked WONDERS together on Deadpool and Uncanny Avengers.

I know for sure Duggan would not squander the opportunity to write Peter and Hawthorne is already familiar with the Spidey books.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Not sure if this has been said yet, forgive me if it has.. sort of jumping back into Spider-Man books..

But I think Gerry Duggan and an art team of Pepe Larraz and Mike Hawthorne would be perfect. They worked WONDERS together on Deadpool and Uncanny Avengers.

I know for sure Duggan would not squander the opportunity to write Peter and Hawthorne is already familiar with the Spidey books.
    It's cool. Gerry Duggan could be good with Spider-Man, too. I mostly liked what bits of Spidey I saw written by him in Uncanny Avengers.