Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death in comics

Incredible Member

Default Death in comics

This may be a very unpopular opinion but when it comes to Dc and Marvel i am personally against killing characters permanently especially for iconic characters. I know some people say it devalues and weakens their deaths but I think if it is long enough it becomes irrelevant. Like I really don’t think Barry Allen coming back after 23 years really doesn’t affect CoIE imo same for Jean Gray’s second death. So what are your thoughts on death in comics and should they always be permanent?

Death as a permanent storytelling consequence has already been ruined and should now be used as a tool to accomplish different things. For certain lesser characters it can still kinda work as originally intended, though.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Doesn't matter what i think, if they are a main characther deathbis irrelevant. Period.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I don't think you break other people's toys.

I would never say you absolutely can't kill or resurrect a character... at the end of he day, a good story is a good story and that can justify a lot of things.

But in the least, I'd personally like it if deaths and resurrections were a lot less common than they are now. As a kid I remember thinking the death of a character I loved was shocking. Now I sort of shug, because I know it just won't stick. It's less of a good buy and more a "see you later."

The New Warriors died in Civil War for example, and pretty much all the ones that died were resurrected by not used afterwards. Don't resurrect a character if no one is going to bother using them anyways. That just cheapens it.

Astonishing Member

It can still work in adaptations where they aren't as bound by Comic's line of perpetuity.

As some others have said, I don't think i would make some kind of edict that resurrections were forbidden, since some of them i think were handled well and actually ended up being important to the character, or good stories.... but I do think it has been used WAY too much, to the point that death has lost all impact. I think both deaths and resurrections have to be handled with more care. Don't kill a character unless you either are prepared to have them stay dead, or bringing them back was part of the plan from the start (like, say, with Superior Spider-Man). And don't bring a character back unless it's a really great story and you intend to use the character a lot afterward.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Immortal Hulk and X-Men have managed to make death in comics super interesting.

Yeah, but while that may stick for Hulk and other Gamma powered characters, I suspect the Resurrection Protocols are a temporary thing for the X-Men. Or, at least I hope so, or there will be no real stakes there, you can only pull what they did with Kitty Pryde so many times to create drama. But as a temporary measure, it can be interesting especially if they really examine the ethics involved and other repercussions, have some kind of twist revealed for it later, and/or get a bit meta with it.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Yeah, but while that may stick for Hulk and other Gamma powered characters, I suspect the Resurrection Protocols are a temporary thing for the X-Men. Or, at least I hope so, or there will be no real stakes there, you can only pull what they did with Kitty Pryde so many times to create drama. But as a temporary measure, it can be interesting especially if they really examine the ethics involved and other repercussions, have some kind of twist revealed for it later, and/or get a bit meta with it.
    I can’t imagine it being a constant thing for Hulk, either.
    The Green Door is definitely Ewing’s baby

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I can’t imagine it being a constant thing for Hulk, either.
    The Green Door is definitely Ewing’s baby
    PAD implied Hulk could never permanently die years ago, and the Leader's been reviving himself with gamma rays since the sixties.

Thing is Hulk's a character that works better with death off the table. No one believes he could die anyway. It allows/forces the writer to come up with different stakes.

Death of characters is a tool that's been cheapened to the point of needing to be heavily restricted through overuse and misuse.

I miss when there would be a cave-in, an explosion, or a character would fall off a cliff and people would say something like "There's no way he could have possibly survive that... is there?"

It gave you nice closure to the story, took a character off the table for a little while, but left it easy for who ever wanted to bring them back.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Death of characters is a tool that's been cheapened to the point of needing to be heavily restricted through overuse and misuse.
    Ultimately this.

Mighty Member

If you're iconic, then there is no way you'll die and be dead for eternity.

Now, if you're too overpowered (Marquis of Death) or a no name hero/civilian, death is very permanent.