Page 249 of 277 FirstFirst ... 149199239245246247248249250251252253259 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,735 of 4143

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Not so sure about "ANY other black actor"....
    I'll rephrase:

Giancarlo or any other esteemed black actor in his ilk could pull that off marvelously.

DeWanda Wise (almost Maria Rambeau in CAPTAIN MARVEL) wants to play Storm in the MCU.
    I can sort of see how her facial structure could work for a comics accurate Storm visage.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    DeWanda Wise (almost Maria Rambeau in CAPTAIN MARVEL) wants to play Storm in the MCU.
    I can sort of see how her facial structure could work for a comics accurate Storm visage.
    I can also see it. I think she would make a great cartoon/X-Men anmared-inspired Ororo. Not so sure about the comicbook version adapted for screen though.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with having Professor Xavier being a black man in the MCU. In fact it makes it even more poignant to me.

You have a older black man with one of the most powerful minds in the world, who has experienced racism and prejudice all because of the color of his skin and because of his mutant powers and instead of being malicious, he still finds the good in EVERYONE and has a dream to live in peace together. He's empathetic and seeks out everyone he can to help and foster them to realize his dream.

Giancarlo or any other black actor could pull that off marvelously.
    True, i think sandra oh would actually make a great storm. It's good to mix it up, maybe lizzo as bishop?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLimboBabies View Post
    True, i think sandra oh would actually make a great storm. It's good to mix it up, maybe lizzo as bishop?
    I can't see Oh with the regal gravitas needed for Ororo. My race swapped pic for Storm has always been Virginia Hey (Zhaan/FARSCAPE)
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Cryptic HD Quality corroborates GiantFreakinRobot’s report that Henry Cavill will be playing a Wolverine variant in ‘Deadpool & Wolverine’
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelStudi..._corroborates/

Dope. I could see Cavill as Hugh’s replacement honestly. He’s 15 years younger than Jackman (40 versus 55). Would be a huge get from DC-WB after they did him dirty too, so makes sense to put him in a major MCU role if they get him.

I’d assume he might be the MCU version to Jackman’s Old Man Logan variant from the FOX-verse, if this is true.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Cryptic HD Quality corroborates GiantFreakinRobot’s report that Henry Cavill will be playing a Wolverine variant in ‘Deadpool & Wolverine’
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelStudi..._corroborates/

Dope. I could see Cavill as Hugh’s replacement honestly. He’s 15 years younger than Jackman (40 versus 55). Would be a huge get from DC-WB after they did him dirty too, so makes sense to put him in a major MCU role if they get him.

I’d assume he might be the MCU version to Jackman’s Old Man Logan variant from the FOX-verse, if this is true.
    I would very happily take Cavill as the new MCU Logan and not just a variant. His Geralt of Rivia is basically a Wolverine variant already.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I would very happily take Cavill as the new MCU Logan and not just a variant. His Geralt of Rivia is basically a Wolverine variant already.
    Plus he’s a beast. And he’s a few inches shorter than Jackman too. They list him as 6’1” but that is b.s. I’ve seen him in person. He’s 5’11” tops. He walked into a hotel in London right past me once. Got a good look at him and got to size him up.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Cavill4Wolverine fans: We had a charismatic man play Logan for almost 25 years. Time for someone charisma-free to take on the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Cavill4Wolverine fans: We had a charismatic man play Logan for almost 25 years. Time for someone charisma-free to take on the role.
    Well, people seem to want a less charismatic more misanthropic type to play Logan. Cavill can pull that off for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLimboBabies View Post
    At least you picked two very talented ladies. The only person that cool play you is a fool.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    To be fair, people of color like the Romani and even Black Germans were also sent to camps during WW2 as well, so you could definitely go more ethnic with Magneto and still be historically accurate, but I would definitely keep the Jewish part.

I also think Xavier should be a white American, and I would like to see his father's history as some sort of government scientist explored more as well. Originally it was seen as nuclear science, hence the 'children of the atom' moniker the X-Men used to have, but I think later writers aimed it more towards genetics. Beast's father was also specified as having been exposed to radiation in his work. Anyways, Xavier's father, Cain's father, Destiny, and Sinister were all implicated in this secret government science, and I think that angle being explored more, and Charles Xavier's own experience in the military before meeting Magneto or founding the X-Men should be explore more as well, as it has obvious relevance to how he runs his own paramilitary squad with advanced stealth aircraft and deep underground bases. I also liked his relationship with Fred Duncan of the FBI, and seemingly having high level government clearance/connections, as was strongly displayed in the original run and even early Claremont days.

I would not race bend Xavier. I would just tell Storm's story well and feature more of the established diverse X-Men characters who aren't featured as much in adaptations. All white cast plus Storm in the background does not work. Xavier in a supporting role, with Storm, Thunderbird, and Sunfire in featured roles with actual histories, emotional arcs, and feats of power, alongside Scott, Jean, Wolverine is okay. Add Nightcrawler, Kwannon, and Xorn and we're cooking with gas. Sprinkle in Infectia, Manifold/Gateway, and Haven(I would make her a mutant straight up, not just Adversary's empowered shell), and we're golden.
    You're onto something there with Xavier's background. I think if we're getting a reboot, and we're focusing on the same characters, then it makes sense to at least explore aspects of their backstories that haven't been highlighted before. Say what you will about the Andrew Garfield TASM films, they covered aspects from the comics that the Raimi films didn't - Gwen Stacy, the fate of Peter's parents etc.

Xavier's ties to the FBI incidentially were sort of covered in First Class - albeit the FBI was swapped for the CIA and Fred Duncan was reimagined as the 'Man in Black' (whose real name may well have been Fred Duncan, for all we know). But that is a fascinating element to unpack - the idea that Xavier worked with the government, at least to begin with, and that the X-men started out as a covert arm of an federal agency. And it would actually work well with the MCU where, by and large, superheroes have worked with the government, despite some tension. How would that play out in a context where the government, and much of civil society, is involved in the oppression of mutants? How do the X-men feel about being agents for an establishment that is, at the very least, complicit in discrimination against their kind? And yet, its not black and white of course, because the X-men are helping keep the peace and working, at least notionally, towards a better world...

As far as race-bending goes, I'm opposed to it for any major, iconic characters where it will inevitably trigger a political shitstorm and be viewed as a bad faith gesture by large sections of the audience (assuming of course, that it isn't actually one). That apart, the idea of reimagining Magneto's backstory in a more modern context does fascinate me at a purely creative level, but right now I feel any attempt to do that will be contentious, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    TBF I hated Jackman's Wolverine (but to be honest it was a time when I was really bored at the alpha male type he represented in the movies).
    Cavill at least has the body hair. Not a very talented actor imo but he can certainly grunt. Still wish they actually cast a tiny canadian man.

I think he is playing this Wolverine variant file_20130226181255.jpg

They said he was sporting a long brown coat. Could see them bringing in Gen Howlett as one of the variants. Especially in this movie.