Page 209 of 287 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219259 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 4291

Well, it looks like we're finally getting some progress with the strike. Still don't think this is going to make the May release. Will probably moved back to the fall.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic View Post
    Well, it looks like we're finally getting some progress with the strike. Still don't think this is going to make the May release. Will probably moved back to the fall.
    I've been eagerly awaiting for the end of the strikes to get an update on DP3's release date specifically hah. I'm glad the writers seems to have gotten a good deal and hope it will be the same for actors.

With regards to DP3, I agree that sticking to a May release date might be impossible at this stage but hopefully it will still come out in 2024.

Kinda of ironic how this was the day a year ago Jackman and Reynolds announced their film

OMFG a tiny bit of progress at long last!

https://deadline.com/2023/09/x-men-m...nt-1235558844/

Sources tell Deadline that Marvel will start setting writer meetings later this fall for pitches on its anticipated X-Men movie. Insiders add there is no rush to fill the job since the film hasn’t been dated yet, and it’s more than likely that writer decision will be made at the top of 2024. Marvel declined comment.

I wonder if Deadpool/Wolverine is going tie into this.

Amazing Member

It'll never happen but I wish they'd contrast the X-men with the normal looking people of the Avengers by having the roster consist of the more messed up mutants of the comics like Chamber, Marrow, Maggot, etc. As it stands, I think they're gonna do the 90's Jim Lee/ cartoon team

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hbomb450 View Post
    It'll never happen but I wish they'd contrast the X-men with the normal looking people of the Avengers by having the roster consist of the more messed up mutants of the comics like Chamber, Marrow, Maggot, etc. As it stands, I think they're gonna do the 90's Jim Lee/ cartoon team
    I strongly doubt it. People assume this because they brought back the 90's cartoon, but that was so they can make money and build a younger fanbase before they know what the X-Men in the MCU will look like. In both look and stories, most MCU projects are following more recent comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I strongly doubt it. People assume this because they brought back the 90's cartoon, but that was so they can make money and build a younger fanbase before they know what the X-Men in the MCU will look like. In both look and stories, most MCU projects are following more recent comics.
    It should be kept in mind that the X-men were allready a major household name long before the MCU gave the Avengers their big break through and the 90's cartoon played a major part in establishing them with a wider audience.

While they had allready begunn to gain popularity with non-comic readers in the 80's, thanks to word of mouth, merchandise and even early video games, it cannot be underestimated just how much their first long term TV presence made the target audience of young kids aware of the IP and it's characters.

This in turn essentialy shaped their "default" look and feel of what the first and many later generations of fans will have in mind when thinking of when hearing "X-men".

While this certainly doesn't exclude later adaptations to be able to have their own identity and be recognized or valued for what they do differently, it doesn't change that as with many franchises the first successfull adaptation will usualy create the basis by which all subsequent ones will be compared or who they will pay homage to.

And for the X-men this seems to be the 90's animated series.

Even the early life action movies, which were (financialy) successfull adaptations in their own right, seem to now mostly exist in comparison to the wider pop culture image of the X-men, which the first animated show helped shaping, rather than having shaped it themself.

And both of them together create a much different situation for the creators of the MCU, compared to what they could work with in regards to the Avengers as a team and the various Marvel heros who had much less to no pop culture presence.

The X-men are not a blank slate to the wider fanbase like the Guardians of the Galaxy, or didn't had a definitive version before like Iron Man, which means their MCU version would fill that spot.

Like with Spiderman and Hulk, they are allready big names and that status comes with an image the MCU creators will have to work with in order to please expectations.

That being said.

Reviving the 90's cartoon does seem more like a means to an end, rather than something which is meant to establish the newest on screen version of the team and franchise.

This feels like they are essentialy "playing it safe" by creating a carton which uses an allready established image of the X-men, rather than trying to create a new one which would run the risk of being quickly "outdated" the moment the new movie version comes around.

Though this doesn't exclude the option of them just modernizing classic designs and stories using the "MCU aesthetic" rather than going anywhere near the mess that has been the comics over the past 20 years (albeit they might cherry pick from it with no regard to context).
    Last edited by Grunty; 09-30-2023 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It should be kept in mind that the X-men were allready a major household name long before the MCU gave the Avengers their big break through and the 90's cartoon played a major part in establishing them with a wider audience.

While they had allready begunn to gain popularity with non-comic readers in the 80's, thanks to word of mouth, merchandise and even early video games, it cannot be underestimated just how much their first long term TV presence made the target audience of young kids aware of the IP and it's characters.

This in turn essentialy shaped their "default" look and feel of what the first and many later generations of fans will have in mind when thinking of when hearing "X-men".

While this certainly doesn't exclude later adaptations to be able to have their own identity and be recognized or valued for what they do differently, it doesn't change that as with many franchises the first successfull adaptation will usualy create the basis by which all subsequent ones will be compared or who they will pay homage to.

And for the X-men this seems to be the 90's animated series.

Even the early life action movies, which were (financialy) successfull adaptations in their own right, seem to now mostly exist in comparison to the wider pop culture image of the X-men, which the first animated show helped shaping, rather than having shaped it themself.

And both of them together create a much different situation for the creators of the MCU, compared to what they could work with in regards to the Avengers as a team and the various Marvel heros who had much less to no pop culture presence.

The X-men are not a blank slate to the wider fanbase like the Guardians of the Galaxy, or didn't had a definitive version before like Iron Man, which means their MCU version would fill that spot.

Like with Spiderman and Hulk, they are allready big names and that status comes with an image the MCU creators will have to work with in order to please expectations.

That being said.

Reviving the 90's cartoon does seem more like a means to an end, rather than something which is meant to establish the newest on screen version of the team and franchise.

This feels like they are essentialy "playing it safe" by creating a carton which uses an allready established image of the X-men, rather than trying to create a new one which would run the risk of being quickly "outdated" the moment the new movie version comes around.

Though this doesn't exclude the option of them just modernizing classic designs and stories using the "MCU aesthetic" rather than going anywhere near the mess that has been the comics over the past 20 years (albeit they might cherry pick from it with no regard to context).
    I agree with this post. Especially with the flagging profits of the MCU, Marvel is going to want to keep it safe and cater to nostalgia. They've been doing that with Spider-Man by drawing in the previous franchise movies. With the X-Men, fans have always wanted to see the movie version of the characters reflect the comics. They brought in Xavier in the 90s hoverchair as a live-action version of the animated series for a reason because that's the most iconic comic version of Xavier for fans. All the rumors and leaks for Deadpool 3 say we'll be getting the 90s X-Men team in their Jim Lee uniforms. Look up the X-Men in merchandise and even Google images, and it's always the 90s uniforms that come first for Wolverine, Storm, Jean, Cyclops, Rogue, Psylocke, Beast, etc.

Merchandise for the X-Men, ever since they got the rights back, have been almost exclusively based on their 90s designs. Hence the updated designs that have been used on all the kids merchandise which many people thought would be the basis for a new show. 90s nostalgia is something Hollywood has been catering to in general, so there's no way the X-Men won't be based on that iteration. We know Kevin Feige worked on the X-Men trilogy and considers those movies very dear to him. He's already said if there's a casting that is perfect, he's not messing with it so it makes sense that as he brings back the Fox actors, the main changes will be making them look like their comic counterparts to make them seem new without really changing them.

90s X-Men is here to stay. Only comic fans call them 90s X-Men, but for general audiences and casuals, they are the only X-Men they know besides the movies and not limited to an era. Merging them together makes sense.

As you said the X-Men comics have been a mess for 20 years or so. The classic X-Men stories are all from the Claremont era or the 90s like Age of Apocalypse and Onslaught. If the Avengers were using more modern 21st century stories for the MCU, that's because the Avengers didn't become Marvel's core franchise until the 2000s. The Avengers were at the head of every major event, not the X-Men, so it made sense that an MCU that catered around the Avengers would follow the modern storylines to suit the team. The X-Men became a flagging franchise at the same time the Avengers took over and their most popular days when they were Marvel's biggest money-makers were definitely the 80s/90s. The X-Men's most popular 21st century story was House of M and even that's really more an Avengers story that was used as a plot device to keep mutants on the backburn by severely limiting their number.
    Last edited by whitecrown; 10-01-2023 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grnty View Post

I agree with all this. I think by reviving TAS, Marvel Studios set out not to interfere with any future plans, still very much a work in progress, for the movies, while at the same time using the most popular version of the characters with the public at large.

I personally would have been equally excited if they did a continuation of Evo or W&TXM or rebooted with a brand new take, but then again TAS is the closest we'll probably ever get to comics continuity and very much feels like an authentic version of the characters, so also considering the above I think X97 is a very smart move on Disney's part and a win-win.

I've been wondering...what if they used the Deadpool/X-Force series as an Elseworld similar to what DC studios is doing with the Joker and The Batman series?

Could be set in the MCU honestly. As a spin-off coming out of Deadpool 3. Make it a Cable/Domino vehicle mostly, starring Josh Brolin and Zazie Beetz, but as the MCU versions. Would be hilarious because Deadpool — who would cameo/make some guest appearances — acts like he knows them but they don’t know him. And if Brolin commands too much money these days or they can’t get him for it for some reason (too busy with other projects), recast him with someone like Alan Ritchson and have Wade make a joke about it… “Cable! You’re so much younger. And taller. Much more comic accurate now.” Ha.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Could be set in the MCU honestly. As a spin-off coming out of Deadpool 3. Make it a Cable/Domino vehicle mostly, starring Josh Brolin and Zazie Beetz, but as the MCU versions. Would be hilarious because Deadpool — who would cameo/make some guest appearances — acts like he knows them but they don’t know him. And if Brolin commands too much money these days or they can’t get him for it for some reason (too busy with other projects), recast him with someone like Alan Ritchson and have Wade make a joke about it… “Cable! You’re so much younger. And taller. Much more comic accurate now.” Ha.
    I don't honestly see the point in having it set in the 616 MCU. Wade literally has no reason to stay there.

Hearing Kelly Hu is returning as Lady Deathstrike.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Hearing Kelly Hu is returning as Lady Deathstrike.
    Sophie Turner also just went to a game with Ryan Reynolds and her bestie Taylor Swift. just wondering if is a coincidence. She looks so much like Jean Grey these days. I wouldn't mind her returning again.