Page 6 of 250 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Disney and Marvel Studios can rest assured that the first MCU X-Men film will draw a big audience on that factor alone, hence there's no need to front-load the franchise with the well known characters from the Fox films, so I'd like to see them start things off with some fresh character, such as the Academy X kids and Hellions (yeah I'm totally biased here). They can tease the big name characters like Wolverine, Cyclops, and Magneto for later to maintain long-term interest.
    Yeah, totally not gonna happen

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Disney and Marvel Studios can rest assured that the first MCU X-Men film will draw a big audience on that factor alone, hence there's no need to front-load the franchise with the well known characters from the Fox films, so I'd like to see them start things off with some fresh characters such as the Academy X kids and Hellions (yeah I'm totally biased here). They can tease the big name characters like Wolverine, Cyclops, and Magneto for later to maintain long-term interest.
    Yeah, most movie watchers aren't going to be sold on Hellion or Rockslide as their first X movie in the MCU. We've had decades of X-movies with well known characters. People are expecting Wolverine, Storm, Magneto and some combination of the others. That doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective to focus on characters that aren't known well outside the avid comic readers.

I think we’ll see the X-men on the small screen before the big screen. The future is going to be all about Disney+. Bank on it...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/disn...-consumer.html

Hence why a Weapon Plus (or Weapon X) series setting up the history and connection to the broader Marvel U via this global conspiracy makes sense as a starting point. Can introduce so many characters and concepts that could then be followed up on in feature films (released “day and date” on Dis+ simultaneously with movie theaters) or other spinoff Dis+ series. I could see coming out of that Weapon Plus (or Weapon X) primer series things like: a Wolverine vs. Hulk feature film, an Alpha Flight spinoff series, a relaunched Deadpool feature film, and even Uncanny X-men eventually as a big budget tentpole feature film which starts with the story from Giant-Size X-men #1 and the introduction of the ANAD team.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Yeah, most movie watchers aren't going to be sold on Hellion or Rockslide as their first X movie in the MCU. We've had decades of X-movies with well known characters. People are expecting Wolverine, Storm, Magneto and some combination of the others. That doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective to focus on characters that aren't known well outside the avid comic readers.
    Yeah, plus it's not like Storm or Cyclops had that much to do in the Fox movies anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I think we’ll see the X-men on the small screen before the big screen. The future is going to be all about Disney+. Bank on it...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/disn...-consumer.html

Hence why a Weapon Plus (or Weapon X) series setting up the history and connection to the broader Marvel U via this global conspiracy makes sense as a starting point. Can introduce so many characters and concepts that could then be followed up on in feature films (released “day and date” on Dis+ simultaneously with movie theaters) or other spinoff Dis+ series. I could see coming out of that Weapon Plus (or Weapon X) primer series things like: a Wolverine vs. Hulk feature film, an Alpha Flight spinoff series, a relaunched Deadpool feature film, and even Uncanny X-men eventually as a big budget tentpole feature film which starts with the story from Giant-Size X-men #1 and the introduction of the ANAD team.
    Could be that they use mini-series to give the characters they're going to use in the movies an origin story without derailing the main film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    And could Hydra have actually been involved in some capacity with Weapon Plus after WWII? Remember that after the war Nazi scientists were poached by the United States and put to work secretly in their labs and research departments, including NASA (Operation Paperclip). So theoretically something like this could have happened in the MCU, but with Hydra since they were essentially the science branch of the Nazi party. It could’ve gone something like this...

- Weapon Plus has its origins with Project Rebirth (the Super Soldier Program) during WWII;
    - Isaiah Bradley was Weapon 0, the predecessor to Steve Rogers who was Weapon I;
    - Professor Erskine was killed, as shown in Captain America: The First Avenger, so Project Rebirth ended there... but Weapon Plus marched on;
    - It could then be revealed that Weapon Plus was actually an Allied effort to create Super Soldiers (i.e., not just United States but also involved other Allied nations like Canada, Great Britain, and the USSR);
    - From here you start to see the connections to the Red Room and Omega Red during the Cold War, after the Allies broke apart of course, as the continuation of this global conspiracy to create super soldiers;
    - Throw in Hydra experiments being conducted in conjunction with or even at the behest of Weapon Plus over the decades since the War, and it grows from there all the way up to the present day with The World facility, John Sublime (as the charismatic head of the conspiracy which has now become a private sector enterprise under the guise of a global conglomerate), Fantomex, Ultimaton, etc.

This could be the basis for a really rad ‘Weapon X’ show on Dis+ which could introduce Wolverine as an anti-hero in the MCU, and a ton of related characters either in supporting roles or as cameos (or even just references to them) as it goes through the decades leading up to the present. This list would include characters like Isaiah Bradley, Steve Rogers, Nuke, Luke Cage, both Black Widows, Bucky, Omega Red, Maverick, Victor Creed, Mystique, Alpha Flight, Deadpool, X-23, Fantomex, etc.
    This would work most definitely. Tying the other heroes/villains in opens up all kinds of storylines and potential spin-offs.

Agreed. Thanks. It also has the added benefits of...

1) Establishing Logan/Wolverine/Weapon X first outside of the X-men, which would allow him to be a minor player in the eventual X-men team film (which IMO they should title ‘The Uncanny X-men’) since he’s already been introduced and fleshed out via this Disney+ series, thus allowing other characters to get more development which was always a gripe about the FOX franchise;

2) It sets him up as a darker, more screwed up anti-hero in the MCU as well, thereby differentiating this version from the more likable and heroic Hugh Jackman version (akin to his early days when other heroes called him “psycho” and were wary of him); and

3) Could even set up X-23 to be the MCU’s Wolverine if Logan were to free her in his Disney+ series and bring her to the Xavier School, telling her to “not be what they made her to be” and letting her be the superhero that he doesn’t feel he can be himself. In other words, at that point he’d tell her that she’s “The Wolverine” and he will always be something darker. A weapon with too much blood on his hands. It’s pretty in line with how the character often sees himself, and he would go by Logan (what his friends call him) and Weapon X (what his enemies call him).

All that could work IMO. Would be a smoother passing of the mantle than what we got in the comics when they killed him and replaced him with OML.

Boo! I like Logan in the context of the team moreso than him on his own. I like the Weapon X angle to weave into the established MCU lore, but bringing him into a more heroic angle is crucial to his mass appeal. Plus none of the established character dynamics work with X23. It would be like doing the Avengers with Riri instead of Tony.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Yeah I agree. Still there’s part of me that hopes that we get a unique team that incorporates members from a variety of generations/ eras.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

First Class was successful, and aside from Xavier and Magneto we're almost entirely new characters (Beast and especially Mystique were much smaller roles in the previous films).

Plus, the MCU made a movie about the Guardians of the Galaxy and have The Eternals on-deck. The first installment of Phase 4 is going to be a sitcom about Scarlet Witch and Vision. The character obscurity doesn't matter.

I mean the MCU is literally about to do What If, the Time Variance Authority, all kinds of obscure weird stuff that general audiences don't know anything about.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 10-13-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    First Class was successful, and aside from Xavier and Magneto we're almost entirely new characters (Beast and especially Mystique were much smaller roles in the previous films).

Plus, the MCU made a movie about the Guardians of the Galaxy and have The Eternals on-deck. The first installment of Phase 4 is going to be a sitcom about Scarlet Witch and Vision. The character obscurity doesn't matter.

I mean the MCU is literally about to do What If, the Time Variance Authority, all kinds of obscure weird stuff that general audiences don't know anything about.
    And the subsequent films diminished and/or got rid of all of those unknowns. They werent characters you build the foundation of a franchise on. Xavier, Magneto, Beast and Mystique were all big well known characters. Wanting the Academy X kids to be used to launch the new era of X-men seems more like a pipe dream than anything that will actually ever happen
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-13-2020 at 04:45 PM.

You're gonna have to start with the main players so that the basic theme of the X-Men can be established. Introducing Xavier, Magneto, Scott, Jean etc. after the fact isn't a good play.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I don't think they'll skip Xavier or change the X-Mens themes, I just think they will focus more on characters who didn't do much in the older movies, to make them more distinct from the Fox versions. Like Angel, for instance.

No one aside from comic readers was familiar with Iron-Man, Ant-Man, Strange, or the Guardians. No one is familiar with the Eternals. Marvel Studios has demonstrated to Disney they can turn anything and anyone into mountains of money. All they need is to slap "X-Men" on the title and theaters will be packed.

Y'all are forgetting who runs the MCU; Feige is old school. He doesn't care about the Academy X crew. We will finally see a true love letter to classic X-Men. Luckily Fox butchered everything they touched, so there is still plenty of untapped potential, even with core cast like Storm and Cyke(I can see them giving Mags a break, though, at least for the start).

Of course there will be changes, but I doubt he'll stray too far. Putting Thunderbird or Sunfire in a more prominent position? Sure. Creating a completely remixed line up of all the generations at once? Nonsense. Disney is going to milk this IP for all it's worth. I can see season after season of Disney+ content being produced. They'll get to the NM's, GenXers, and school kids eventually(maybe even your Alpha Flight, X-Factors, and Excaliburs too), but one project at a time.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Spectacular Member

i'm almost 100% convinced first x-movie will be second genesis/krakoa

it's the only big x-story that hasn't been adapted yet. you can introduce the classic lineup with cyclops assembling his team around the world to rescue the other original 4. and it can tie into the rest of the mcu nicely
    Last edited by yellow cyclone; 10-14-2020 at 03:00 PM.