Page 42 of 274 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    No way in hell the MCU doesn't use the mainstays of the X-Men. Cyclops finally being a leader, Angel being an actual member of the X-Men, there's a lot of stuff they can do with the 05, aside from obviously Dark Phoenix.
    Really? Well . . .

1) Since when is Angel a mainstay of the X-Men. Hell, the original team is notoriously boring and Warren's the most boring one.

2) The MCU has made a reputation for taking unpopular characters and making them popular (which, now that I think about it, might be Angel's big chance).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Really? Well . . .

1) Since when is Angel a mainstay of the X-Men. Hell, the original team is notoriously boring and Warren's the most boring one.

2) The MCU has made a reputation for taking unpopular characters and making them popular (which, now that I think about it, might be Angel's big chance).
    Exactly. All this O5 talk I keep hearing online mystifies me. Do we really want the X-Men who got cancelled in the 60s? Or a very homogeneous team preaching diversity? Honestly, we live in a world where Miles Morales is popular, and characters like Ms. Marvel and Ms. America are joining the MCU. X-Men should get the same treatment and popularize their lesswr known heroes. Why retread old ground for the X-Men, when they have a massive roster of heroes and teams, and decades of different stories?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Exactly. All this O5 talk I keep hearing online mystifies me. Do we really want the X-Men who got cancelled in the 60s?
    It's funny how few people remember the original X-Men kind of flopped.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Also, the original Avengers movie had only half the original team, with Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow joining- the latter being someone who was out of the Avengers for nearly three decades, plus there was the Hulk, who was barely on the team (though, to be fair, no one but Wolverine can compare to him in popularity).

We'll certainly have O5 members, and certainly not all of them. I'd say Cyclops-Beast-Iceman-Jean Grey-Angel in terms of likelihood.

Astonishing Member

Exactly. All this O5 talk I keep hearing online mystifies me. Do we really want the X-Men who got cancelled in the 60s? Or a very homogeneous team preaching diversity? Honestly, we live in a world where Miles Morales is popular, and characters like Ms. Marvel and Ms. America are joining the MCU. X-Men should get the same treatment and popularize their lesswr known heroes. Why retread old ground for the X-Men, when they have a massive roster of heroes and teams, and decades of different stories?
    I'm going to venture a guess here which I'm pretty sure is accurate. I think it has a lot less to do with what would be the best team to depict and more to do with continuity.

It seems to me that many X-Men fans tend to be hyper-aware of continuity and team history and which lineup happens when. Whereas with a lot of other long-running super-teams it can get kind of fuzzy toward the middle. And to them, that's exactly how X-Men has to go down. I've seen them on these very boards laying out their vision for how the franchise would have to go and it's always like "The first movie starts with the original five. Then at the end we introduce Havok and Polaris. Then in the sequel we do the original Krakoa story and introduce the Giant Size team. Naturally, Sunfire leaves and Thunderbird dies during the course of the movie. Then in the third movie we start by introducing Kitty Pryde. They fight the Brotherhood and Rogue joins by the end of the film . . ." And it's puzzling and kind of amazing. The idea that they can somehow encapsulate all of X-Men history in a movie series and the confidence that this will somehow just naturally be popular enough that they'll be able to get through like, seven roster changes before the film series is run into the ground. Usually with movies it's more like "You get one shot. If that shot is successful, you get a sequel."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    It's funny how few people remember the original X-Men kind of flopped.
    You're right. it's characters like Storm, Nightcrawler, and of course Wolverine who popularized the X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Also, the original Avengers movie had only half the original team, with Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow joining- the latter being someone who was out of the Avengers for nearly three decades, plus there was the Hulk, who was barely on the team (though, to be fair, no one but Wolverine can compare to him in popularity).

We'll certainly have O5 members, and certainly not all of them. I'd say Cyclops-Beast-Iceman-Jean Grey-Angel in terms of likelihood.
    Tbh, I would've rather had AM & Wasp than Hawkeye & BW, who come off as rather lame on the Avengers, but I see you're point. The MCU survived anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I'm going to venture a guess here which I'm pretty sure is accurate. I think it has a lot less to do with what would be the best team to depict and more to do with continuity.

It seems to me that many X-Men fans tend to be hyper-aware of continuity and team history and which lineup happens when. Whereas with a lot of other long-running super-teams it can get kind of fuzzy toward the middle. And to them, that's exactly how X-Men has to go down. I've seen them on these very boards laying out their vision for how the franchise would have to go and it's always like "The first movie starts with the original five. Then at the end we introduce Havok and Polaris. Then in the sequel we do the original Krakoa story and introduce the Giant Size team. Naturally, Sunfire leaves and Thunderbird dies during the course of the movie. Then in the third movie we start by introducing Kitty Pryde. They fight the Brotherhood and Rogue joins by the end of the film . . ." And it's puzzling and kind of amazing. The idea that they can somehow encapsulate all of X-Men history in a movie series and the confidence that this will somehow just naturally be popular enough that they'll be able to get through like, seven roster changes before the film series is run into the ground. Usually with movies it's more like "You get one shot. If that shot is successful, you get a sequel."
    But still, the question is: why? I can understand being hyper-aware, but if they were that aware, then they'd remember the O5 were a flop, and quite a few of them (Iceman and Angel) get mocked as boring , whether that's accurate or not. Besides, with D+, it's not like the movies have to do it like this anyway. And the previous X-men films already tread over a lot of this stuff. I understand wanting to see the history of the comic translated to live action but not all of it was good and a lot of it's been done before
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 01-20-2022 at 07:58 AM.

The 60s were 60 years ago. So much has changed since then including the characters. Unless one expects them to be written and treated just like they were in the 60s, this argument doesnt hold water to me especially since the O5 have had several series since then, with their own success and popularity. With the exception of maybe Warren, the rest Jean, Cyclops, Iceman and Beast are all popular characters and there's a reason why they are so often used when it comes to adapting the X-men to other mediums
    Last edited by Havok83; 01-20-2022 at 01:42 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The 60s were 60 years ago. So much has changed since then including the characters. Unless one expects them to be written and treated just like they were in the 60s, this argument doesnt hold water to me especially since the O5 have had several series since then, with their own success and popularity. With the exception of maybe Warren, the rest Jean, Cyclops, Iceman and Beast are all popular characters and there's a reason why they are so often used when it comes to adapting the X-men to other mediums
    That being 60 years ago seems more reason to move on and adapt more recent X-Men material. I don't get what about that specific era interests anyone. Even guys like Cyclops developed from later stories

BANNED

That being 60 years ago seems more reason to move on and adapt more recent X-Men material. I don't get what about that specific era interests anyone. Even guys like Cyclops developed from later stories
    Seriously. I've seen a LOT of people talk about how they want the O5 to be the same as when they first debuted. Full 1960s attitude and all.

There's like, 3 good stories in the original run(Juggernaut's debut/origin, the original Sentinels story/the one where they fly into the sun trying to destroy the true source of mutation, and the Z'Nox invasion). The rest is pretty horrendous and/or boring.

I would do a D+ show focused on Scott(after Logan and Ororo), and use it as a backdoor O5 project ala "Cyclops [and] the First X-Men" and focus on their origin stories/initial training, with the season finale being one of those aforementioned 3 good stories(probably the AI Sentinels and the mutant hysteria that led to them, maybe do the Juggy story as the main part of Xavier's origin(other parts covered in Logan's and Ororo's series).

Then in the first big screen X-Men movie, base the plot on Giant Size #1 and have them captured on Krakoa in the first scene, then focus on the international team. They really don't need a whole movie to themselves(a series gives more time for better development as characters and interpersonally, anyways).
    Last edited by yogaflame; 01-20-2022 at 10:42 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Seriously. I've seen a LOT of people talk about how they want the O5 to be the same as when they first debuted. Full 1960s attitude and all.
    Really? Where everyone's pining after Jean and over explain everything they do like an anime?

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    There's like, 3 good stories in the original run(Juggernaut's debut/origin, the original Sentinels story, and the Z'Nox invasion). The rest is pretty horrendous and/or boring. I would do a D+ show focused on Scott(after Logan and Ororo), and use it as a backdoor O5 project ala "Cyclops [and] the First X-Men" and focus on their origin stories/initial training. Then in the first big screen X-Men movie, base the plot on Giant Size #1 and have them captured on Krakoa in the first scene, then focus on the international team. They really don't need a whole movie to themselves.
    I think it would be better if Scott was already the leader, maybe with his childhood origin show in a flashback episode.

I think it would be better if Scott was already the leader, maybe with his childhood origin show in a flashback episode.
    We could open with a serious Danger Room work out, Scott leading the team with precision and strategic planning, as Xavier watches from the booth, then proceed to time hop and visit how each was recruited/some of their origins. I like the non-linear storytelling concept you suggest.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Its not the era; its the characters and those characters have been modernized and are not trapped in 60s

I'd say there is zero chance the o5 is what the MCU X-Men start with especially when a lot of the big guns that actually made the franchise popular (Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler) came after that era. Them being all white with just one female is just the icing on the cake in them not being the first adaptation

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    We could open with a serious Danger Room work out, Scott leading the team with precision and strategic planning, as Xavier watches from the booth, then proceed to time hop and visit how each was recruited/some of their origins. I like the non-linear storytelling concept you suggest.
    Yeah, non-linear might actually help to set the MCU X-Men apart. Newer X-Men could get their origins told in real time while more established ones like Storm and Cyclops could get flashback scenes to outline who they are

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Its not the era; its the characters and those characters have been modernized and are not trapped in 60s
    They were modernized by modern stories, so IMO there's no reason to go back to the time when they were the main team.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I'd say there is zero chance the o5 is what the MCU X-Men start with especially when a lot of the big guns that actually made the franchise popular (Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler) came after that era. Them being all white with just one female is just the icing on the cake in them not being the first adaptation
    Exactly. This is the big thin. X-Men is popular not because of the O5, and the lack of diversity in a comic about fighting oppression is a hard sell in 2022. Especially with the Avengers being diversified in the MCU
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 01-21-2022 at 11:39 AM.