Page 24 of 250 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

There's no way they won't have Storm on the team, which already makes one more black character than the first Avengers movie, and nobody really complained. I doubt they'll feel the need to make another major hero black, which is something they didn't do yet in the MCU.

Iceman being outed also increases his chance of appearing, since there's also no major gay heroes.

I also imagine they'll have a bigger number of women in the roster, probably 50/50.

Astonishing Member

The diversity thing with X-Men is weird, because the diverse characters are there. They're just all in the spinoff books. When it comes to who's considered a "classic X-Man", it's generally all the older ones up to Rogue joined, give or take a couple.

Like, you could put together a team lineup consisting of Storm, Shadowcat, Trinary, Dust, Sunfire, Warpath, Mondo and Rictor with Gateway as a support character to provide transportation and it would probably be the most diverse superhero team ever cobbled together. And they're all from the X-Men franchise. But people will still look at it and be like "Hmm, well it's not really X-Men, now is it?"

Are the actual non-white characters not good enough? Are we just so attached to the Claremont/Byrne run that Rogue is considered the last worthwhile new recruit? Is there a way to meet in the middle? I don't know. But we've all got to reckon with the fact that the X-Men has one of the most diverse "extended family" of characters while also having a very white "immediate family".

I think they'll use the A-listers and almost certainly race-bend several of them. Honestly, for a number of them it wouldn't change a whole lot about the character. I could see Cyclops as being Hispanic, for example. Iceman could be black and gay. Beast could be Pacific Islander. You probably still leave Warren as white, since his whiteness and wealth (privilege) is part of his character and his story arc actually. Probably the same with Jean, as she seems to fit in as the average American (white) "girl next door" who has no issues fitting in; but it's her internal struggle with keeping all the voices out of her head that makes her feel alienated inside. Hence why she bonds with Scott, who is brooding and feels isolated as well due to both his powers and perhaps bullying he got growing up on the military base, as his father was in the military.

With those tweaks, the O5 suddenly become a lot more diverse for new audiences. And as for Xavier and Magneto? I can see a case for making Charles black or some other minority. But I also kind of like the idea of this privileged old money British guy (as I tend to think of him as British due to Sir Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy's portrayals I suppose) juxtaposed against a Romani Jew who has known true hate and persecution, trying to appeal to the latter's "better nature." In my mind it makes Magneto a more sympathetic villain when juxtaposed against that kind of Professor X. Who is a good guy... just perhaps a little naïve.

Mighty Member

^I've always thought Angel was the most obvious choice of the 05 to make black simply because his arc as "rich white guy" kind of makes him the least interesting of the 05. He could keep all the rich boy angst but there'd be more than just that.

I feel Forge and Cecilia could work as original X-Men too...

Beast could make a good Latino too. As for Iceman... He has a sort of "optimism" that usually only pretty white gay guys have.

As for the "A-listers" being mainly white. I think the New Mutants/Gen X class is making it's way up there and there's lots of diversity there. Obviously, Magik and Jubilee are the main breakouts, but with Monet, Sunspot, Moonstar, Karma, Sync all gaining popularity, I think those are the diverse characters to push.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 09-24-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Xavier is already a minority- he's disabled (except when he's not, of course);

Angel literally looking like the typical depiction of angels in Western culture (white, blond, extremely good-looking) is part of the point.

Seems also silly to make Beast a minority when he's just going to turn blue anyway.

And again, the Avengers movies never had a team that fit the comics, and also spend the first two movies until the end without a minority character there. Just starting with Storm and with more females, and many more important than they were in the Avengers movies already makes them way more diverse than the Avengers.

BANNED

My dream line-up for the MCU:

(the best one ever)

Cyclops
    Storm
    Wolverine
    Nightcrawler
    Colossus
    Banshee
    Jean Grey/Phoenix

No gender-swapping or forced race-changing allowed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    The diversity thing with X-Men is weird, because the diverse characters are there. They're just all in the spinoff books. When it comes to who's considered a "classic X-Man", it's generally all the older ones up to Rogue joined, give or take a couple.

Like, you could put together a team lineup consisting of Storm, Shadowcat, Trinary, Dust, Sunfire, Warpath, Mondo and Rictor with Gateway as a support character to provide transportation and it would probably be the most diverse superhero team ever cobbled together. And they're all from the X-Men franchise. But people will still look at it and be like "Hmm, well it's not really X-Men, now is it?"

Are the actual non-white characters not good enough? Are we just so attached to the Claremont/Byrne run that Rogue is considered the last worthwhile new recruit? Is there a way to meet in the middle? I don't know. But we've all got to reckon with the fact that the X-Men has one of the most diverse "extended family" of characters while also having a very white "immediate family".
    Like a lot of comics, the White people still get the most attention. They can pay lip service to civil rights without alienating too many people they think won't read the comics because of 'forced diversity' or some other such bogeyman. But X-Men has a huge cast of non-White heroes. The MCU doesn't need to focus on the same 4 White dudes, or the O5 or whatever. In fact, using lesser known but more diverse heroes might give help the MCU X-Men stand out more.

Seriously, though, why do people keep wanting the O5 back?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Xavier is already a minority- he's disabled (except when he's not, of course);

Angel literally looking like the typical depiction of angels in Western culture (white, blond, extremely good-looking) is part of the point.

Seems also silly to make Beast a minority when he's just going to turn blue anyway.

And again, the Avengers movies never had a team that fit the comics, and also spend the first two movies until the end without a minority character there. Just starting with Storm and with more females, and many more important than they were in the Avengers movies already makes them way more diverse than the Avengers.
    The MCU lacking diversity has been criticized for years. I don't see how that's a good enough excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    My dream line-up for the MCU:

(the best one ever)

Cyclops
    Storm
    Wolverine
    Nightcrawler
    Colossus
    Banshee
    Jean Grey/Phoenix

No gender-swapping or forced race-changing allowed.
    You're seriously going to complain about that with the X-Men of all groups? And how is that the best group?
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 09-25-2021 at 07:29 AM.

I think the best initial roster, if we didn't have the Fox movies butchered/overdone many of these characters before would be:

Cyclops (early 30's)
    Jean Grey (early 30's)
    Wolverine (late 30's)
    Storm (late 20's)
    Nightcrawler (early 20's)
    Colossus (mid 20's)
    Rogue (early 20's)

My ideal line-up, considering characters that deserve to be more explored/done right, would actually be:

Cyclops (early 30's)
    Storm (late 20's)
    Iceman (gay, late 20's)
    Betsy (caucasian, mid 20's)
    Rogue (flying brick, early 20's)
    Gambit (mid 20's)

with Wolverine being present, but not part of the team.

Thinking about doing a more diverse team, a good line-up would be:

Cyclops (early 30's)
    Storm (late 20's)
    Iceman (gay, mid 20's)
    Betsy (caucasian, mid 20's)
    Jubilee (early 20's)
    Sunspot (mid 20's)
    A picture would last longer darling...

They will make Xavier black. Probably played by Denzel.

They can make Beast black too. Or Iceman.

They won't make Cyclops black because they need their babyfaced main lead white guy leading guy as usual. Otherwise Starlord, Thor, IM and Cap would be black. They are still pretty racist at the end of the day when they have to put their money where there mouths are. Which is why their "progressiveness" is fake. It's done for money not for progress.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    They will make Xavier black. Probably played by Denzel.

They can make Beast black too. Or Iceman.

They won't make Cyclops black because they need their babyfaced main lead white guy leading guy as usual. Otherwise Starlord, Thor, IM and Cap would be black. They are still pretty racist at the end of the day when they have to put their money where there mouths are. Which is why their "progressiveness" is fake. It's done for money not for progress.
    Idk why him being babyfaced is a problem

Anyway, this would probably be true about a decade ago, but not so true now.

Just to be clear i am completely against "race bending" just for the sake of diversity. When i mention characters like Scott or Bobby and say that them being caucasian doesn't matter i'm not saying that means they should automatically be another race what i am saying if written right those are characters that should have open calls and the best actor get the roll if the casting is honest. Those are the parts that if casted honestly garner attention for their portrayals not for the race of the actor. In most instances they should be the hardest to cast imo because the most variety should be seen for them especially if the point is to get their story across.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Really liking some of your rosters, MentalManipulator. But here is mine.

As much as I want Rogue and Gambit as soon as possible, I think its best to save them for the sequel (and maybe introduced in other projects, specially Rogue as most people have suggested. So here is my line-up for the 1st film without race-bending anyone (I hate that, tbh, and in this franchise in particular is not needed at all.

Cyclops
    Jean
    Storm
    Iceman
    Jubilee (point of view of general audience)
    Sunfire
    Thunderbird
    and Beast (mostly because he is iconic and adding a creature mutant adds that extra flavor to the X-Men. In this case, Id use him more of a supporting with others in bigger roles)

In resume: I want Sunfire and Thunderbird to bring something fresh on the big screen, (and as a 70s homage) and as active members of the team without anyone dying on the first film, yes, including John. Just because the comics wasted him doesnt mean Marvel Studios have to too. And we already got him on The Gifted developed next to the rest, so why cant the films do the same, but even better and more epic yet?
    Last edited by Kurt LeBeau; 09-25-2021 at 12:03 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The problem with a lot of characters is their powers don't translate to live action very well. I love Storm as much as the next person and she works great in the comics. On screen her powers suck and are usually just limited to her throwing lightning bolts. Her powers are really too OP for a team.

I said in another thread I would have no problem with them race bending a few characters. A black Cyclops doesn't change him that much at all. Same with Iceman. I would still start off with a team close to the original roster with a few tweaks. Angel would be older and more of peer of Xavier and also a big financial backer of the school.

Cyclops (can be any race)
    Iceman (can be any race)
    Beast
    Marvel Girl
    Polaris (daughter of Magneto, but only Xavier knows that. Can be any race)
    Colossus

The main threat would be Proteus. Mutants having been appearing sporadically all along but their existence has been covered up by governments and others groups. Because of all the cosmic energy released by Thanos and the snap the x-gene has gone into over drive with more mutants appearing over the last 5 years in the MCU. People like Xavier and Magneto have been gathering them up and trying to cover up whats going on to keep them safe and mutants existence secret until they figure out what they want to do. Then comes Proteus who refuses to hide and goes on a rampage killing hundreds making such a big mess Xavier has not choice but to send his X-Men in to try and stop him. The X-Men fight and defeat Proteus but not before he screams about Mutants being the next rulers of the Earth and how humanities days are numbered all of which is captured live by the press. Humans seeing all this and hearing his words and all the damage just one lone mutant caused are scared big time as are the world governments.

The end of the movie would see Xavier and Jean using Cerebro and looking at all the new mutants signatures showing up on the map. Xavier would say "we have a lot of work to do". At the same time you would see Magneto watching the press coverage of Proteus's attack and saying to himself "the war has begun".

The mid credit scene would be Sebastian Shaw talking to Boliver Trask about how his presentation to the joint chiefs went in regards to their mutant contatinment project. Trask would say very well and we should be able to go into production within a year. In the background you see the plans for the Sentinels.

The end credit would be Xavier reading a report of a strange mutant in the Canadian wilderness. It would then shift to the wilderness and you would see clawed hand facing off with a grizzly.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Just to be clear i am completely against "race bending" just for the sake of diversity. When i mention characters like Scott or Bobby and say that them being caucasian doesn't matter i'm not saying that means they should automatically be another race what i am saying if written right those are characters that should have open calls and the best actor get the roll if the casting is honest. Those are the parts that if casted honestly garner attention for their portrayals not for the race of the actor. In most instances they should be the hardest to cast imo because the most variety should be seen for them especially if the point is to get their story across.
    "Best person for the job" is a fallacy when so many of these characters are White.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The problem with a lot of characters is their powers don't translate to live action very well. I love Storm as much as the next person and she works great in the comics. On screen her powers suck and are usually just limited to her throwing lightning bolts. Her powers are really too OP for a team.

I said in another thread I would have no problem with them race bending a few characters. A black Cyclops doesn't change him that much at all. Same with Iceman. I would still start off with a team close to the original roster with a few tweaks. Angel would be older and more of peer of Xavier and also a big financial backer of the school.

Cyclops (can be any race)
    Iceman (can be any race)
    Beast
    Marvel Girl
    Polaris (daughter of Magneto, but only Xavier knows that. Can be any race)
    Colossus

The main threat would be Proteus. Mutants having been appearing sporadically all along but their existence has been covered up by governments and others groups. Because of all the cosmic energy released by Thanos and the snap the x-gene has gone into over drive with more mutants appearing over the last 5 years in the MCU. People like Xavier and Magneto have been gathering them up and trying to cover up whats going on to keep them safe and mutants existence secret until they figure out what they want to do. Then comes Proteus who refuses to hide and goes on a rampage killing hundreds making such a big mess Xavier has not choice but to send his X-Men in to try and stop him. The X-Men fight and defeat Proteus but not before he screams about Mutants being the next rulers of the Earth and how humanities days are numbered all of which is captured live by the press. Humans seeing all this and hearing his words and all the damage just one lone mutant caused are scared big time as are the world governments.

The end of the movie would see Xavier and Jean using Cerebro and looking at all the new mutants signatures showing up on the map. Xavier would say "we have a lot of work to do". At the same time you would see Magneto watching the press coverage of Proteus's attack and saying to himself "the war has begun".

The mid credit scene would be Sebastian Shaw talking to Boliver Trask about how his presentation to the joint chiefs went in regards to their mutant contatinment project. Trask would say very well and we should be able to go into production within a year. In the background you see the plans for the Sentinels.

The end credit would be Xavier reading a report of a strange mutant in the Canadian wilderness. It would then shift to the wilderness and you would see clawed hand facing off with a grizzly.
    If Proteus is the villain, I'm assuming your idea involves Moira McTaggart as well, right?

The hand-wringing about race bending comes off as very hypocritical considering how much this franchise has copied and appropriated from non-White people, IMO.