Page 243 of 278 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,645 of 4170

The MCU is dying, why integrate the mutants into a burning house? Start over fresh and clean. Bring the Foxmen in for these last few movies if you must, but it would be stupid to try to anchor the future of the franchise on the relics. I for one refuse to accept that Singer's vision for these characters be perpetuated longer. Cut off that diseased limb[with Secret War] and let the healing begin[in a new MCU2.0, with X-Men, FF, Spidey, and the Avengers+ all interacting and relating from jump, as Stan and Jack intended].
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    The variety of opinions on this forum makes me glad these decisions aren’t left up to the fans. We’re truly all over the place. Ha.

I just hope whatever they do, whatever direction they go, that it’s quality. And that they don’t cast some poon as Logan.
    If all fans would have the same opinion and preferences it would be a rather boring fandom.

Likewise a fan becoming a creator or even person in charge creative/editorial control is not by itself a problem, if they can restraint themself and are conscious enough about their personal biases, rather than let those cloud their judgements or become the basis by which they enforce what they want rather than what the viewer/buyership wants.

After all their job is not to primarily create/enforce what they personaly like but what a large group of viewers/buyers will like, with the "golden path" being a healthy overlap.

Because a certain level of engagement and investment in an IP can actualy be helpfull.

That’ll be sometime after 2028 or 29. By then I’m not even sure if rebooting will be worth it. In my case, I’ll have probably aged out. So by the time they’re getting around to it, my MCU journey may be at an end. I’m 46. Oldest child is 17. Hell, I could have my first grandkid by then! That’s a terrifying thought. Taking my grandkids to watch the rebooted, younger NuMCU cast.
    There is an argument to be made that Marvel/Disney should now more than ever start to focus primarily on expanding and/or maintaining the diversity of products based on these characters and their stories, rather than still mainly put all their eggs in the one basket that is the life action movies (or streaming shows which just feel like stretched out movies...).

Because like all genres or patterns that for a while dominated the box office and were the talk of the town, it has entered it's twilight years for the time being, which means less profit in mass.

The MCU created household names, the X-men were allready popular a decade before and never truely forgotten even as the movies largely became worse.

All Marvel/Disney has to do is to strike the iron while it's hot and create a solid foundation on which they can gain a reliable profit for decades to come from them, rather than still expect short term bursts from the movies.

Have good and memorable cartoons/life action shows that will be enjoyed in reruns for years to come. Video games that will end up in "best of" lists. Perhaps even get comics using them back into the mainstream and the hands of the younger fans (though not necessarily these comics and their mess of a perpetual continuity).

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Agreed.

I want a Wolverine solo where he is TERRIFYING to the people trying to kill him in the same way John Wick terrified the Russians, even as they tried to kill him. Where Wolverine/Logan is a known quantity, in universe, and we have to play catch up to learn about him and the world we’re peeking into.
    He would also be quite suitable for a darker "late night" slot TV show, since his powers don't require that much special effect budget and a switch to "street" level crime and seedy underworlds wouldn't be a jarring/unfitting for the character and his nature as super hero.

Like the main plot is him traveling across the US hunting someone because of a personal vendetta, where he will frequently become involved in other people's problems. Basicly the wandering gunslinger/swordsman kind of setup.

Perhaps there could even be the element of him trying to avoid violent solutions, showcasing his intelligence and experience, with a 50/50 success rate, so that when he has to get actual violent it will be more shocking/satisfying.

The actor wouldn't even need to be the same as who ever is chosen for the movies, since it certainly didn't harm DC's The Flash show that the main actor wasn't used for the DCEU or that it didnt directly tied into it.

Funny enough, this would even make it possible to "test" how an audience would react to a short stocky actor portraying the role.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-20-2024 at 06:09 PM.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    The MCU is dying, why integrate the mutants into a burning house? Start over fresh and clean. Bring the Foxmen in for these last few movies if you must, but it would be stupid to try to anchor the future of the franchise on the relics.

this is something i didn’t even consider. and there are a lot of variables at play here. you could argue without the older mainstays there would be more room for a X-MEN take over. where possibly the new wolverine (ugh) is the face of marvel studios and not iron man? idk
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

The MCU is dying, why integrate the mutants into a burning house? Start over fresh and clean. Bring the Foxmen in for these last few movies if you must, but it would be stupid to try to anchor the future of the franchise on the relics. I for one refuse to accept that Singer's vision for these characters be perpetuated longer. Cut off that diseased limb[with Secret War] and let the healing begin[in a new MCU2.0, with X-Men, FF, Spidey, and the Avengers+ all interacting and relating from jump, as Stan and Jack intended].
    The Deadpool & Wolverine trailer had as many views within 24 hours as the trailer to Avengers: Infinity War (and that is NOT counting the Super Bowl views). If this movie is well received, it could easily make 800 million to a billion dollars at the Box Office. If that happens Marvel will have no reason to let go of the franchise that Fox started.
    Last edited by Gnostic; 02-21-2024 at 02:03 AM.

So… what do we think here, folks? Is he saying “maybe” as in “maybe Reynolds doesn’t like him” or as in “maybe I’m in the film”…

Josh Brolin gives cryptic response when asked if he'll return as Cable in Deadpool and Wolverine
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-like-him.html

After all, he could’ve filmed a brief cameo appearance. Same as Channing Tatum (rumored) and several others that haven’t been confirmed.

I’m thinking he’s not, and was saying “maybe Ryan doesn’t like him,” obviously joking around. But guess we’ll see.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

the Xmen deserve a better threatment that the Avengers had to be introduced to this universe.

Like some stealth solo films "X-Men Origins: Storm/Wolverine/Cyclops/Rogue/Kate Pryde" and then "Marvel´s Studios "Uncanny X-MEN" with a "Loki-like" figure of the X-mythos but not redeemable. (Those need to be Emma and Erick (maybe Maddy when the time comes))

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic View Post
    The Deadpool & Wolverine trailer had as many views within 24 hours as the trailer to Avengers: Infinity War (and that is NOT counting the Super Bowl views). If this movie is well received, it could easily make 800 million to a billion dollars at the Box Office. If that happens Marvel will have no reason to let go of the franchise that Fox started.

both deadpool movies are in top 5 highest grossing r rated films and joker is #1. hopefully they can surpass this
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

I'm sure Hugh and Ryan can pull in a few more profits for Disney(and themselves), but they can't keep this up forever. Especially Hugh. He was already retired. And with the strikes he had to stay in shape for even more time. He can't do that for 10-20 more years. Go ahead and finish up this Secret Wars nonsense with the Foxmen and the aging MCU stars in the next few years. Then reset the whole thing, maybe just ferrying over the FF and Spidey, and continue in a revitalized MCU2.0.

A new hopping on point, but the die hards can come along too. Then we can get a new Hulk vs a new Wolverine, fresh and clean. See a new Avengers team form. See a new X-Men team form. See them both interacting with the FF and Spidey. Peter-Bobby-Johnny! Nick Fury, Wolverine, and Black Widow with Captain America. And down the line they do a proper Avengers vs X-Men over, maybe Onslaught themed?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Shifting back to things happening now and in the near term versus way off in the future, we may be getting another trailer soon…

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE: A New Trailer Has Been Classified And It Could Be Released Imminently
    https://comicbookmovie.com/deadpool/...nently-a209523
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Shifting back to things happening now and in the near term versus way off in the future, we may be getting another trailer soon…

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE: A New Trailer Has Been Classified And It Could Be Released Imminently
    https://comicbookmovie.com/deadpool/...nently-a209523
    I'm excited for it! I'm expecting this or anyway a future trailer to be from Wolverine's POV, leading up to that "snikt" moment with Wade in the first trailer... and I will lose it if they show any of the X-Men!

While Cassandra Nova is probably the movie's main antagonist, wonder if there will be a development of hints at Sinister from later Fox films, especially in case Logan timeline will be somehow continued.

Extraordinary Member

Here’s the rough idea I would do for them, based off that Deadpool trailer and just some old speculation idea my buddy and I had:

- Wade and whichever-Logan-variant-is-the-main-one are dealing with chaos mostly confined to Fox-universe characters and conflicts, possibly even a Secret Wars preview of those characters.

- When they do have the film’s conflict (whether Cassandra Nova, an evil Logan variant, etc.) drag them into the MCU, it becomes a plot point that there doesn’t appear to be any X-Men...

-...But they encounter the MCU X-Men in a shockingly restrained and stealthy way, because most MCU mutants keep a low-profile because of Hydra, Leviathan, and more conventional government forces always looking to grab them to be weapons for exploitation, so the strike team from Xavier’s school dresses inconspicuously and make a point to try and stay hidden and focused on mutants, including mind wipes by their telepaths, especially because they know they’re being specifically hunted once again by...

- ...The Essex Corporation and it’s head, Nathaniel Essex, who Deadpool gets to make a joke about finally paying off in another film continuity. The Essex Corporation is also tied to the MCU version of the Weapon program, here a bridge between the Strategic Scientific Reserve and General Ross’s super soldier program with Banner (and thus Hydra was involved here as well), which leads to a two-part reveal...

- The MCU already had an active Wolverine off-screen in the backstory, who is mentioned as disappearing - but only after freeing his cloned daughter X-23 from the Essex Corporation Andy getting her with the MCU X-Men.

- So... the mainline MCU X-Men team at the start is a variation of the “Fab Five” original team with one switch-up: Cyclops, Phoenix, Beast, Iceman... and X-23 as their Wolverine instead of Angel. This evens out the gender ration a bit more, allows Jackman’s Logan to stand alone for a little while longer or maybe permanently... and leads to some hilarious switch ups to some of he old formula.

- Scott is their leader at 19-20, and matches his wise-beyond-his-years attitude with a leadership style patterned off Captain America to both good and goofy effect. Beast is late-20s-early-30s and the scientist and “old wise of the team.” Ice-Man is early 20’s like Scott, and the one who most wants to be a public hero. Jean is already called Phoenix because she’s somewhat aware of her potential and both fascinated Andrew frightened by it, and still part of a love triangle with Scott... because Scott and Laura have a Belligerent Sexual Tension thing going on while Laura’s is also still Jean’s “little sister” as well.

- Xavier and the school are mentioned, as the X-Men are their strike force, but not seen yet.

- The X-Men subplot until Secret Wars deals with them struggling with whether to go public or not, and risk the hidden mutant population on a traumatized world.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I think it is setting up a soft reboot. "Secret Wars" and the convergence of universes angle is the perfect setup to restart the MCU with the mutant fully integrated into the new universe coming after Secret Wars. I think it is quite clear that the FOX mutants are only brought back to so their universe can get fully destroyed in the next years.

Is the MCU really dying though? There are still VERY successful movie franchises working perfectly. Spider-Man, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy have been massive hits. The Avengers movies could also still work perfectly.
    Last edited by Exodus; 02-26-2024 at 11:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I think it is setting up a soft reboot. "Secret Wars" and the convergence of universes angle is the perfect setup to restart the MCU with the mutant fully integrated into the new universe coming after Secret Wars. I think it is quite clear that the FOX mutants are only brought back to so their universe can get fully destroyed in the next years.

Is the MCU really dying though? There are still VERY successful movie franchises working perfectly. Spider-Man, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy have been massive hits. The Avengers movies could also still work perfectly.
    When it comes to the discourses around popular things, people often display the habbit of declaring something as dead or dying when it's in a notable downward trend or losing a peak of popularity. Which seldomly ever comes true in the way the word would imply.

Rather it seems when they are saying that they, intentional or not, are more often using a melodramatic way to describe that something is no longer as dominating or popular in mainstream media as it has been.

Video didn't kill the radio star, but it was no longer the defacto way for people to experience and listen to music, either.

Which is not to say that trends, formats or genres can't potential disappear for good, but more often than not they are simply becomming reduced or evolve into something new.

However looking at it from various perspectives it is rather notable that the MCU movies and media are in a decline. The peak is gone and now it's going downhill until it reaches a plateau.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-27-2024 at 08:45 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    It just occurred to me, why Wolverine even have a cowl/mask in comics? He don't have a secret identity to hide and it should be really uncomfortable to wear it with so much hair.
    Well, at the time he first put on the cowl, he very much did have a secret identity, as a Department H/Alpha Flight operative. This held true for the X-men as well back then (up until they went public during Morrison's New X-men run).

Also, its canon that the X-men wore superhero costumes (including masks, in some cases) to tap into the iconography of superheroes and thus try to gain public acceptance. Again, Morrison established this in New X-men, and when the X-men go public, they decide to renounce the superhero trappings and adopt black leather (movie-inspired) outfits. They go back to the classic outfits in Astonishing X-men, once they decide to embrace their 'superhero' identity again.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Gotta have mutants incorporated and integrated fully throughout the MCU, that's what will make this go-round more exciting IMO. My only thing that I really hope Feige nails is that the MCU is a world the X-Men has to protect that fears and hates them. Like it's cool to have a handful of Avengers with superpowers protecting the world, but I need for people to panic when their random neighbors can shoot optic blasts or move things with their minds.
    I actually think the mutant metaphor works better in a world where non-mutant superhumans also exist, because you then have the angle that genetic differences are what make the public fear mutants over other superhumans, which is a better analogue for real-world racism than comparing baseline humans and mutants.

Fox themselves could have done this had they had a successful FF reboot that was set in the same universe as the X-men. Now, Marvel has the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Which is not true actually. X-Men, X2 (ESPECIALLY!), Days of Future Past, First Class, Apocalypse....are really well-done ensemble movies. Every time people are complaining about Wolverine's overexposure, I think they have X3 in mind (done by Ratner and ruined by the studio!). Before that, we had a very well balanced cast and screen-time for a large group of characters.

The problem is that Fox has concentrated predominantly on characters, fans did not wanted them to concentrate on (e.g. Wolverine, Magneto, Xavier, Mystique, & Beast...and Jean in later movies).
    Yeah, the whole Wolverine-focus of the Fox X-men franchise tends to get exaggerated. The first film did give Wolverine a fairly big part (understandable given his popularity), but it also gave the other X-men, as well as Magneto, considerable focus. The second film is a great ensemble piece that focuses on multiple characters, including Logan (despite Logan's Weapon X backstory actually being a significant plot point). Its only with the third film that the Wolverine focus really becomes a problem, largely because they wrote Cyclops out early (due to James Marsden being busy with Superman Returns) and made Logan Jean's primary love interest for the film as well as the de-facto X-men leader (though that's still technically Storm). The only other X-men (not solo) film in which he has a significant role after this is DOFP, and even so, that film focuses heavily on Xavier, Magneto and Mystique.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic View Post
    Deadpool's universe is the Fox-Verse.
    Well...kinda, but not really. At best its part of the Fox 'multiverse', along with New Mutants (and even Logan, for that matter).