Page 14 of 274 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Considering Wandavision is all the talk right now. Thinking about her "homage to the comic version" Halloween costume, i was wondering what might be the more ideal style for the outfits of the MCU X-men or their satelite groups?

Obviously going back to the all black leather outfits would be awkward by now, especialy since the "yellow spandex" line from the first movie has aged badly and the outfits themself have arguably become an unintentional period element as they mark the movies clearly into the early 2000's where such outfits for super hero (or super hero like) figures were popular.

However some of the comic outfits also just wouldn't look good on screen or even really fit certain characters. For example as much as people would love to see Wolverine in something resembling his classic style outfit, i don't think many actual movie goers would find it fitting to the character on screen. Since the character is defined as a modern day wandering loner who can work with a team if put into it. For such a character to have a bright yellow and black outfit, with wing like things on the side of the head, with him which he wears to "not be recognized" or when he wants to spring into action just wouldn't look right.
    It works for Deadpool because he is basicly a looney toon character who got thrown into a semi-realistic world. But the fact that he wears such an outfit is even aknowledged in universeas him being odd. For someone like Logan to wear a yellow outfit like it would just raise too many question.

And this is where i see some serious challenge for Marvel costume designer when it comes creating outfits for the upcomming X-men.

Because some characters will look very good in semi-comic accurate costumes, like Storm in the various one piece suits she has worn over the years (or currently) these would only need a few little modifications and they would look both comic accurate and be relative well to wear for the actress, while others like Wolverine will look quite awkward (Storms original outfit too).
    Yet these two characters will need to be shown side by side on screen as part of a team eventualy.

Meanwhile there are also possible teams where comic accurate costumes will just not fit to their mission statement like X-force or X-factor, while on others downright require outlandish over the top outfits for their possible mission statement like a classic Excalibur.
    Yet eventualy these two groups will end up standing side by side in a crossover.

So it will be interesting to think how they could handle it and to see how Marvel's team will attempt it.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-07-2021 at 06:36 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Considering Wandavision is all the talk right now. Thinking about her "homage to the comic version" Halloween costume, i was wondering what might be the more ideal style for the outfits of the MCU X-men or their satelite groups?

Obviously going back to the all black leather outfits would be awkward by now, especialy since the "yellow spandex" line from the first movie has aged badly and the outfits themself have arguably become an unintentional period element as they mark the movies clearly into the early 2000's where such outfits for super hero (or super hero like) figures were popular.

However some of the comic outfits also just wouldn't look good on screen or even really fit certain characters. For example as much as people would love to see Wolverine in something resembling his classic style outfit, i don't think many actual movie goers would find it fitting to the character on screen. Since the character is defined as a modern day wandering loner who can work with a team if put into it. For such a character to have a bright yellow and black outfit, with wing like things on the side of the head, with him which he wears to "not be recognized" or when he wants to spring into action just wouldn't look right.
    It works for Deadpool because he is basicly a looney toon character who got thrown into a semi-realistic world. But the fact that he wears such an outfit is even aknowledged in universeas him being odd. For someone like Logan to wear a yellow outfit like it would just raise too many question.

And this is where i see some serious challenge for Marvel costume designer when it comes creating outfits for the upcomming X-men.

Because some characters will look very good in semi-comic accurate costumes, like Storm in the various one piece suits she has worn over the years (or currently) these would only need a few little modifications and they would look both comic accurate and be relative well to wear for the actress, while others like Wolverine will look quite awkward (Storms original outfit too).
    Yet these two characters will need to be shown side by side on screen as part of a team eventualy.

Meanwhile there are also possible teams where comic accurate costumes will just not fit to their mission statement like X-force or X-factor, while on others downright require outlandish over the top outfits for their possible mission statement like a classic Excalibur.
    Yet eventualy these two groups will end up standing side by side in a crossover.

So it will be interesting to think how they could handle it and to see how Marvel's team will attempt it.
    This is a very legitimate concern, and I'm just going to outright say it as an example:

LIVE ACTION BATMAN LOOKS RIDICULOUS. The suit simply does NOT work with a real person stuck inside it. There's nothing scary or intimidating about a grown man running around dressed like a bat, and it's exacerbated any time we see himin a well-lit room or (god forbid) broad daylight. It's only MARGINALLY effective in dark environments, and even then only when the editing keeps us from getting a clear look at him to play up the "Oh my god what IS that?" sense of dread. But the more you get to focus on the details, the more ridiculous it looks.

Wolverine would be the same. That cowl will just look laughably bad in live action when you have a real actor trying to look intimidating while wearing it.

I think the costumers for the MCU have taken note of this problem already. Hawkeye doesn't have his goofy mask. Thor's helmet rarely appeared after the first movie (and even then he didn't wear it for most of it). Cap's mask has largely been toned down with the wings simply painted on.

I actually thought these costume ideas were pretty solid...

https://screenrant.com/xmen-mcu-fan-...stumes-marvel/

As for Logan’s cowl/mask, I think he’s got to have it at some point, but IMO you make it serve some functional purpose. Have him pull it on for some night mission and you see that the eyes have lenses which give him night vision. Something like that. So he wears it a couple of times when operating at night or in the dark, but the rest of the time has it pulled down or off. Since he has no secret identity to protect or anything like that. Just my $.02, but it could work in the same way Captain America’s does. He wears it in a few scenes, but most of the time does not.

Here’s some other MCU designs that are pretty cool and more comic accurate, with Wolverine sporting the mask...

https://nerdist.com/article/x-men-co...e-mcu-designs/

I prefer the brown and tan for Logan, though, honestly. And think these are the best MCU designs for him IMO...

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/wo...e-concept-art/

But lose the sleeves, like so...

4E788038-7DFF-489A-9AD4-45FF1BAD3E22.jpg C28A73B7-E511-42F7-A5A8-785152BAC9A3.jpg

Last edited by Jackraow21; 02-07-2021 at 09:03 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I actually thought these costume ideas were pretty solid...

https://screenrant.com/xmen-mcu-fan-...stumes-marvel/

As for Logan’s cowl/mask, I think he’s got to have it at some point, but IMO you make it serve some functional purpose. Have him pull it on for some night mission and you see that the eyes have lenses which give him night vision. Something like that. So he wears it a couple of times when operating at night or in the dark, but the rest of the time has it pulled down or off. Since he has no secret identity to protect or anything like that. Just my $.02, but it could work in the same way Captain America’s does. He wears it in a few scenes, but most of the time does not.

Here’s some other MCU designs that are pretty cool and more comic accurate, with Wolverine sporting the mask...

https://nerdist.com/article/x-men-co...e-mcu-designs/

I prefer the brown and tan for Logan, though, honestly. And think these are the best MCU designs for him IMO...

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/wo...e-concept-art/

But lose the sleeves, like so...

4E788038-7DFF-489A-9AD4-45FF1BAD3E22.jpg C28A73B7-E511-42F7-A5A8-785152BAC9A3.jpg

Well, I agree that it's quite difficult to be stealthy if you're dressed as a blue and yellow neon!

If we do get some sort of multiverse Hugh Jackman cameo in the MCU, my hope is they give us a version we haven’t seen yet. The Hooded Man, who was the future version of the original Old Man Logan, gets my vote...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...man-logan/amp/

https://comicsalliance.com/mark-mill...old-man-logan/

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/James...(Earth-807128)

That would be so crazy and awesome, and a nice Easter egg for comic fans. But for casual movie goers, he’s just an old version of Wolverine in a cool hooded costume from some alternate timeline.

9A2477C4-085E-4CE6-B827-C95D28F554DB.jpg

I’ve said this probably dozens of times on this board. Ultimate X-Men uniforms will work for the big screen. It doesn’t have to be this exactly but it should be the baseline.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I mean, ultimate xmen is pretty much the perfect mcu adaption but I would definitely like them to have different costumes after the first movie. More 616 type costumes once they graduate and become more individual

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post

I’ve said this probably dozens of times on this board. Ultimate X-Men uniforms will work for the big screen. It doesn’t have to be this exactly but it should be the baseline.
    No. Fox already did black costumes. It is time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    No. Fox already did black costumes. It is time to move on.
    The fox uniforms looked nothing like these and to rule out the color black entirely because Fox used it seems like a bold choice imo. Kind of like ruling out red in Spider-Man since Sony used it in the pre MCU Spidey films.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

[/b]

The fox uniforms looked nothing like these and to rule out the color black entirely because Fox used it seems like a bold choice imo. Kind of like ruling out red in Spider-Man since Sony used it in the pre MCU Spidey films.
    Not telling to rule out black completely. Black t-shirts with yellow stripes will look boring when Avengers will be rocking unique costumes with different colors. I want costumes with green for Rogue, purple for Gambit, brown for Wolverine, etc.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 02-08-2021 at 01:15 AM.

BANNED

So true. And it would be no surprise to me if they take some stuff from the Ultimate X-Men. They made the same with the Ultimate version of the Avengers after all^^

No uniforms. X-Men, to me at least, is anti-conformity.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I really like a combination of superhero looks + practicality, something akin to the current looks for Wanda or Starlord, for example.

I also thought the costumers teased at the end of X-Men: Apocalypse had potential, what little we could see of them at least. Too bad they were promptly abandoned with the following movie.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    So true. And it would be no surprise to me if they take some stuff from the Ultimate X-Men. They made the same with the Ultimate version of the Avengers after all^^
    There was a rumor that the MCU versions of the FF and X-men would borrow more heavily from the Ultimate Universe. Just a rumor though. And there was a lot of speculation that Cable in Deadpool 2 was actually a future version of Logan, like the Ultimate version, which explains his height. Again, just a fan theory/rumor.

Astonishing Member

I could certainly see Wolverine having a brown costume inspired Metal Gear style "sneak suit" as part of a old clandestine mission past, with a set of high tech goggles/mask which faintly resembles the cowl from the comics. He could wear it at the end of his introduction movi and then not use it again until a major crossover story, where the X-men could give him a more yellow version of it, just for the big battle.

That would certainly be a way to give the fans the "classic costume" moment without it being a permanent worn part of the character.

But that still leaves us with the rest of the X-men characters for which the costumes are always torn between some characters wearing individual outfits from garrish to functional, to the need to showcase a team identity ala matching uniforms. Not to forget some characters for whom the standard uniform has often been their de-facto look.

Not that we have much to speculate on at the moment, since the characters chosen in the end for the X-men and their spin-offs could be anyone at the moment.

Again it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Funny enough i could totaly imagine Nightcrawler sporting an outfit with a bright red shirt to resemble his classic outfit. Since after all he was a circus performer and he is not running around openly in public either way. So having a flashy super hero outfit would both be in character and not much of a problem.

Though the rest of the cast would not be able to pull it off as much.

There was a rumor that the MCU versions of the FF and X-men would borrow more heavily from the Ultimate Universe. Just a rumor though. And there was a lot of speculation that Cable in Deadpool 2 was actually a future version of Logan, like the Ultimate version, which explains his height. Again, just a fan theory/rumor.
    I have to admit it's a biased opinion, but i found the overall Ultimate take on the X-men wrong in so many ways that i hope they don't even touch any of that one with a ten inch pike, though the costumes were the least of my issue with it.

Mark Millar just went in with this typical "everyone is anti-heroic jerk and the universe is so dark and edgy" style of wrting for the X-men, which the comic never truely managed to work itself out of under the following writers. For the whole length of the Ultimate Universe the X-men section was just a prolonged Old Yeller scenario.

So they should stay the fluff away from Ultimate X-men and just try to break down the original comic takes into a functional movie version.

As for the Fantastic Four. The last movie allready heavily borrowed heavily from the Ultimate version and we have seen how that movie was recieved.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-08-2021 at 07:19 AM.