Page 40 of 289 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Native American or Mexican Wolverine could be amazing.
    Attachment 117114
    I think a First Nation Wolverine would be great. I hope they will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I hate when folks feel the need to specify their race before making a statement on race-related subjects and I hate that I'm doing it now, but... speaking as a black man, I think the whole race-swapping of characters is weak and just pandering. Nick Fury I understand because they just took the version from the Ultimates universe(and other elements) for the Avengers films. I wish Marvel would just stay true to a character's origin instead of trying to be an "ally"/pander to us po' ol' POC because we're so hurting for representation. Or better yet, how about using the POC characters that are already out there and uplift them. I don't wanna see a black Magneto in the MCU X-Men portrayed by Denzel Washington(I shouldn't even have to explain why). How about giving someone like, I dunno, Bishop a huge role in the X-flicks. He's from the future, he's seen some shit, he knows how events will play out... use that.

I'm always confused by how hard people go to defend their attitude that the MCU, an AU adaptation, has to be exactly like 616 down to the characters' races, or else. Who cares if a Hispanic Cyclops would make you skip the movie? If an AU version of a character not being white hurts you that much, it says more about you. The sooner you all stop feeling entitled to everything the movies do being just like whatever the comics have done, you'll be happier. It makes absolutely no sense to say "I'm fine with them race-swapping Nick Fury but they can't do it again." They didn't race-swap Fury, they based this universe's version of the character on something other than the 616. Which is their right. This isn't 616. Read that if it's what you're looking for, it's right there.

I dont mind a native Wolverine, as long as that doesnt mean Thunderbird and Forge get ignored. I want new X-Men members on Marvel's reboot, instead of the same old, same old. Add some fresh characters with comics roots, and Ive been wanting a native american x-member on the movies for a very long time, so Marvel Studios has no excuses this time, with such a rich and diverse team/property.
    Last edited by Kurt LeBeau; 01-09-2022 at 06:15 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I'm always confused by how hard people go to defend their attitude that the MCU, an AU adaptation, has to be exactly like 616 down to the characters' races, or else. Who cares if a Hispanic Cyclops would make you skip the movie? If an AU version of a character not being white hurts you that much, it says more about you. The sooner you all stop feeling entitled to everything the movies do being just like whatever the comics have done, you'll be happier. It makes absolutely no sense to say "I'm fine with them race-swapping Nick Fury but they can't do it again." They didn't race-swap Fury, they based this universe's version of the character on something other than the 616. Which is their right. This isn't 616. Read that if it's what you're looking for, it's right there.
    This. all of this! Agree 100%

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt LeBeau View Post
    I dont mind a native Wolverine, as long as that doesnt mean Thunderbird and Forge get ignored. I want new X-Men members on Marvel's reboot, instead of the same old, same old. Add some fresh characters with comics roots, and Ive been wanting a native american x-member on the movies for a very long time, so Marvel Studios has no excuses this time, with such a rich and diverse team/property.
    Good point. Plus Wolverine’s ethnicity was never definitely established. We just know he is Canadian.

Also people of different races have sed and yes there are many multiethnic Canadians.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Good point. Plus Wolverine’s ethnicity was never definitely established. We just know he is Canadian.

Also people of different races have sed and yes there are many multiethnic Canadians.
    He was the son of wealthy aristocratic landowners in 19th Century Alberta. And in 19th Century Alberta, that DOES mean white, because that's who the wealthy aristocratic landowners were (not only socially, but the laws of the time pretty much ensured it). And even though he wasn't ACTUALLY John Howlett's son, he still had to be "white enough" for Elizabeth to pass him off to cover up her affair with Thomas Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    He was the son of wealthy aristocratic landowners in 19th Century Alberta. And in 19th Century Alberta, that DOES mean white, because that's who the wealthy aristocratic landowners were (not only socially, but the laws of the time pretty much ensured it). And even though he wasn't ACTUALLY John Howlett's son, he still had to be "white enough" for Elizabeth to pass him off to cover up her affair with Thomas Logan.
    How is that an important part of his backstory? If it's about him feeling shame of being a bastard, you could easily do that in so many other ways. There are a lot more important things in Wolverine's backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    How is that an important part of his backstory? If it's about him feeling shame of being a bastard, you could easily do that in so many other ways. There are a lot more important things in Wolverine's backstory.
    It's not, and it's not even relevant to the concept of "Introducing the X-Men to the MCU" because there's absolutely no reason he needs to, or will, have the same origin. It's been some time since I've watched the Fox films (because I hate them), but I don't think they ever even mentioned Logan being descended from Canadian aristocracy. Again, people need to stop holding onto "AU versions of characters who are white need to stay white, bc reasons" when the reason is just "I would prefer that this AU version of the character be white." It's okay to say that if that's what you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    It's not, and it's not even relevant to the concept of "Introducing the X-Men to the MCU" because there's absolutely no reason he needs to, or will, have the same origin. It's been some time since I've watched the Fox films (because I hate them), but I don't think they ever even mentioned Logan being descended from Canadian aristocracy. Again, people need to stop holding onto "AU versions of characters who are white need to stay white, bc reasons" when the reason is just "I would prefer that this AU version of the character be white." It's okay to say that if that's what you feel.
    It is suggested in Origins.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Wolverine's real origin is the Weapon Plus program, I don't think this 19th century aristocracy thing matters

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    It is suggested in Origins.
    Thanks for the correction. I've repressed my memory of that movie so I don't remember if it was a major plot point or not, but I doubt it. Especially considering that part of his backstory was added in during the Wolverine Origins book from the early 2000s (I think?), I don't see it as so intrinsic to a character who in most adaptations cannot remember his own past. Unless, of course, you want something that justifies every adaptation of the character needing to be white, as if he's Storm, Sunspot, or Black Panther whose race is directly relevant to their overall character (and that didn't stop them from whitewashing Berto for film not once but twice.)

I don't know why some people draw the line at race when other aspects of the characters are changed in movies all the time. Iron man was known to be Tony's bodyguard, Bucky wasn't an adult when he joined the war, Hank and Janet were founding members instead of Clint and Nat, Hela wasn't a sister of Thor etc. If there is a problem with changing the race of a character then there should be a problem with all of these.

I'm still trying to catch up with the notion that the same fans and industry that had no problem white washing historical figures because "the role went to the right person." have now created a notion that fictional characters, some of which have never rven been flat out called Caucasian etc. are somehow being "race-bent" and that it actually matters to them.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Wolverine's real origin is the Weapon Plus program, I don't think this 19th century aristocracy thing matters
    That and being much older than he appears, old enough to have served in WW2 as adult man (hence putting him on the same "been there in history" level as Cap).

But i agree that his exact age and origin before Weapon X are secondary to having been used by them as test subject, at which point he actualy became Wolverine.

The movies would also be entirely free to not use his "bone claws". Instead going with the second to original implication of his blades being completely artifical (complete with sensible sheaths in the arms, rather than having blades that cut everything free float in his muscles).

All that matters are the core of the popular character's origins being on point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I don't know why some people draw the line at race when other aspects of the characters are changed in movies all the time. Iron man was known to be Tony's bodyguard, Bucky wasn't an adult when he joined the war, Hank and Janet were founding members instead of Clint and Nat, Hela wasn't a sister of Thor etc. If there is a problem with changing the race of a character then there should be a problem with all of these.
    Fans have complained about all of those things (and more). How much complaining depends on how many people were fans of the original. Bucky the kid side, was largely a footnote in marvel history and hardly anyone cared about him until the winter solider story. So some fans complained, but the majority of fans (and most importantly casuals, ) didnÂ’t mind skipping kid sidekick Bucky and going straight to winter solider. And even if more did care, they would have been drowned out by Stucky fangirls, lol.