Page 46 of 250 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Fox's X-men make an appearance (or six) in the MCU going forward, especially with the focus on the Multiverse in this phase, as well as leaning into legacy properties (which NWH has kicked off in grand style!) But I agree that they aren't going to be the 'main versions' going forward (though I personally have a soft corner for the First Class cast and wouldn't mind if the Dark Pheonix version of the team could return).

In a way, having the X-men from the previous franchise show up would allow Marvel to cash in on (and the fans to enjoy) that nostalgia, while leaving them free to pursue a very different direction with their new reboot. To an extent, this seems to be what they've done with Spider-Man - by bringing Tobey and Andrew's Spider-Men and associated characters and mythologies into the 'expanded' MCU canon, it leaves them free to go in different direction with the MCU Spider-Man without having to retread the familiar beats and characters of the previous iconic films. Kevin Feige, for instance, said that the MCU Spider-Man wouldn't be taking on his own Green Goblin and Doc Ock, because the iconic versions of those characters from the Raimi films have now made their mark on the MCU anyway. It could well be the same for X-men - they don't need to retread the Xavier-Magneto conflict if we get to see Patrick Stewart's Xavier or Ian McKellan's Magneto, and the history they bring with them, even briefly in the MCU.

So what if this is how they introduce mutants in the MCU:

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post

In the other thread I stated 100% yes.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post

Just having watched the Eternasl twice last week, unless they secure a sequel that actually develops the concept of deviants properly, I rather mutants not be tied to it. It was one of the weakest parts of a kinda messy story.

Spectacular Member

Biggest problem with that concept is that the Mutant race would then be a branch off the Deviant evolutionary chain and not humanity. They would be considered an alien race and a hostile one at that

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    Just having watched the Eternasl twice last week, unless they secure a sequel that actually develops the concept of deviants properly, I rather mutants not be tied to it. It was one of the weakest parts of a kinda messy story.
    I watched it once. That was enough. Not sure how anyone could go through that film twice. It was awful.

You deserve a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post
    Biggest problem with that concept is that the Mutant race would then be a branch off the Deviant evolutionary chain and not humanity. They would be considered an alien race and a hostile one at that
    It's better their origins aren't explained.

Then that would be the reason why mutants are hated and feared.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

They literally made eternals robots instead of cousins of humans.

It sucks that they changed so much about the Deviants and Eternals in the film compared to the original Kirby lore. In it, humans, Deviants, and Eternals were all created by the Celestials by manipulating the proto-humans that had developed on Earth. So they are all cousins, indigenous to the planet. Making the Deviants and Eternals more explicitly artificial constructs from outer space I think was done so as to not make humans direct creations of the space gods(even though the film does make them creators of the universe/the stars, etc), but in doing so, creates a larger disconnect between mutants and baseline humans, especially if the comics are now trying to connect mutants with the Deviants. If anything mutants are the natural mid point between the Deviants(the changing people, each unique) and the Eternals(godlike immortals), with potential to do both/either. The more modern runs of Eternals books have changed so much from the original Kirby lore already, so I suppose it's not that surprising, but it's making things messy.

mutantscelestials.jpg
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It's better their origins aren't explained.
    I agree.

Leave it mysterious and secondary to the overall situation of humanity finding itself with a sudden surge of people gaining super powers by themself, rather than through scientific, magical or alien means.

That being said, i would at least go with the idea that certain events which set free a lot of energy can increase the number of mutants appearing naturaly. Hence having pre-WW2 mutants be so rare they could be dismissed as myths or similar super natural events as Asgardians visiting Earth.
    Then after nuclear weapons were used and tested over decades, mutants appeared frequent enough that secret organizations begann to investigate (they could have Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr as former SHIELD agents in the 1960's working for "Project Black Womb" before finding out Hydra's involvement and shutting it down erasing all memories and traces of it in the process, therefor keeping mutants secret for decades).
    Finaly when Thanos and Tony snapped the infinity gauntlets, so much energy got set free that now mutants will start to appear by the thousands (and some allready did over the 5 years after the first snap).

But where the X-gene comes from should stay mysterious.
    Result of Celestial manipulation?
    Natural counter responce to Celestial manipulation (like mutants being akin to Eosinophil cells).?
    Or is it really just evolution in a world where super powers are real?

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Fox's X-men make an appearance (or six) in the MCU going forward, especially with the focus on the Multiverse in this phase, as well as leaning into legacy properties (which NWH has kicked off in grand style!) But I agree that they aren't going to be the 'main versions' going forward (though I personally have a soft corner for the First Class cast and wouldn't mind if the Dark Pheonix version of the team could return).

In a way, having the X-men from the previous franchise show up would allow Marvel to cash in on (and the fans to enjoy) that nostalgia, while leaving them free to pursue a very different direction with their new reboot. To an extent, this seems to be what they've done with Spider-Man - by bringing Tobey and Andrew's Spider-Men and associated characters and mythologies into the 'expanded' MCU canon, it leaves them free to go in different direction with the MCU Spider-Man without having to retread the familiar beats and characters of the previous iconic films. Kevin Feige, for instance, said that the MCU Spider-Man wouldn't be taking on his own Green Goblin and Doc Ock, because the iconic versions of those characters from the Raimi films have now made their mark on the MCU anyway. It could well be the same for X-men - they don't need to retread the Xavier-Magneto conflict if we get to see Patrick Stewart's Xavier or Ian McKellan's Magneto, and the history they bring with them, even briefly in the MCU.

Your post reminds me of this video.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I watched it once. That was enough. Not sure how anyone could go through that film twice. It was awful.

You deserve a medal.
    You realize of course that there will be posts claiming that this really wasn't a MCU Movie........

Eternals? I have not seen posts claiming that. Seems to me that it very much was a MCU movie. Just a really bad one.

Astonishing Member

Tbh, I think a lot about just how damn MUCH Fox wasted the X-Men in all the years they had access to them. Like, their movies were so generic and confined, IMO, when like.....they had literally every opportunity to make their own version of the MCU, just as broad and containing just as many subgenres. The X-Men mythos is really that expansive. They could have built up an X-Man team solo movie by solo movie and then bringing them all together, because I defy anyone to say that there's something inherent in the characters of Tony Stark, Peter Quill, Scott Lang, etc, that makes it possible to build entire franchises around them but that the same isn't true for a good dozen different X-Men.

Like just off the top of my head, the possibilities for solo movies for individual X-characters based just on their own unique backgrounds and niches:

1) Psylocke - before she was an X-Man, she was literally a supermodel slash spy. If you can't make 'female James Bond with psychic powers' work, you're not trying.

2) Gambit - everything about him and his character and his origins screams HEIST CAPER HEIST CAPER HEIST CAPER. Ocean's Eleven with Gambit recruiting a team of mutant criminals to steal something from Madripoor, while dodging assassination attempts from his ex-wife's relatives, etc etc.

3) Storm - you could easily make a movie with an epic fantasy tone around her, from her childhood as a thief in Cairo hunted by the mysterious and otherworldly Shadow King to her days being worshipped as a goddess in the Serengeti and now more than capable and ready to fight the Shadow King for the souls of her people.

4) Cable - Terminator style movie centered around the emotional core of Cable going back in time to save the world by saving his own parents from his twisted mirror self, Stryfe. If you don't want to mix clones and time travel streamline things by making Stryfe just a literal other version of Cable like they're each other's road not taken diverging from the same moment in time when Scott and Jean sent baby Nathan into the future to save him.

5) Magik - young girl kidnapped by demon sorcerer who over the course of years leeches her soul and innocence to empower his dark magics, all while she bides her time and learns from watching him, ultimately rising up to overthrow him by claiming the power he tried to steal from her and wielding his own spells against him. 'Nuff said.

6) Longshot - its 2022, how has nobody ever tried to capitalize on the character who was created to star in gladiator combat and rebellions that were real life to him while just being entertainment to others. He's literally The Hunger Games but with superpowers.

7) Bishop - if the Cable pitch doesn't work for studio execs, you've got mutant time cop Bishop waiting in the wings, ready to pop in and out of the timestream in pursuit of mutant criminals seeking to Kang the Conqueror their way to world domination.

8) Dani Moonstar - remix Dani's powers of illusions drawn from the psyche just enough that an accident with them draws her INTO the realms of myth and fantasy she usually pulls FROM. She discovers that everything is real somewhere, even places like Asgard, and now she has to find (or create) a Yellow Brick Road to lead her back home, crossing through battlefields of Valkyries, demon landscapes and more along the way. Alternatively, young mutant and aspiring pop star Lila Cheney accidentally teleports herself across the galaxy and has to find her way home, only to stumble into galactic superstardom via Guardians of the Galaxy style antics.

Etc, etc. You could do something like Sage, Emma Frost or Monet St. Croix infiltrating the Hellfire Club at a young age and trying to navigate its complicated politics without losing her soul. Or family drama writ large as young mutants Chamber, Blink or even Nightcrawler, any of them possibilities for being abandoned at birth as obvious mutants, seek answers about their origins only to be plunged into operatic family drama via their supervillain parent/ancestor Apocalypse or Azazel. Space adventures with any of the Summers kids learning honey, your parents were kidnapped by aliens. More epic fantasy possibilities with someone like Magma discovering their entire civilization is just a cruel immortal's toy and taking on Selene to save her people from her eternal manipulations.

The possibilities were endless, and Fox was like, lol, nah, what if we just used the same handful of characters and also some robots to just like.....make pew pew noises at each others with their lasers. Like, love that energy, Fox. Good hustle out there.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 01-31-2022 at 03:12 AM.