Page 52 of 286 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    How about Spidey having his love interest thrown off a building.
    That's a type of famous moment.

They can be repeated with variantions, or alluded to with similar scenes. Obviously overdoing it will result in diminishing returns eventualy. The option of a subversion can still bring out a good suprise in viewers, but can be even less repeated.

Similar Origin stories can be repeated aswell, especialy if they are actualy allready famous for a character. However eventualy it will be a better option to just imply their occurence in order to streamline a new continuity. Like what we saw with the MCU Spiderman films.

A major story or event however has a massive risk of diminishing returns in repetition or allusion, as the initial suprise and buildup is gone.
    Last edited by Grunty; 05-09-2022 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    The fact they already did the "powerful woman goes mad" story with Wanda makes me even more certain there's zero chance of Phoenix saga in the MCU.
    I don't think so. They are building Times Runs Out/Secret War. In that story the Cyclops attempted to use Phoenix's power to destroy the Ultimate universe to stop the inclusion. I bet Kevin Feige wouldn't resist doing a semi-adaptation of Dark Phoenix Saga where Jean destroys worlds to save her own and sacrifice herself so the multiverse could be reborn to atone for her sins. Like how No Way Home couldn't resist doing a third adaptation of The Night Gwen Stacy Died.

Though Jean wouldn't be going mad, she would just be a female Eren Yeager. lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    I don't think so. They are building Times Runs Out/Secret War. In that story the Cyclops attempted to use Phoenix's power to destroy the Ultimate universe to stop the inclusion. I bet Kevin Feige wouldn't resist doing a semi-adaptation of Dark Phoenix Saga where Jean destroys worlds to save her own and sacrifice herself so the multiverse could be reborn to atone for her sins. Like how No Way Home couldn't resist doing a third adaptation of The Night Gwen Stacy Died.

Though Jean wouldn't be going mad, she would just be a female Eren Yeager. lol
    The Phoenix Force is not a required element of that story and can easily be cut in a film adaptation of it. MOM was an adaptation of DPS in so many ways complete with the suicide at the end. I dont see them reskinning this storyline again with someone new

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    That's a type of famous moment.

They can be repeated with variantions, or alluded to with similar scenes. Obviously overdoing it will result in diminishing returns eventualy. The option of a subversion can still bring out a good suprise in viewers, but can be even less repeated.

Similar Origin stories can be repeated aswell, especialy if they are actualy allready famous for a character. However eventualy it will be a better option to just imply their occurence in order to streamline a new continuity. Like what we saw with the MCU Spiderman films.

A major story or event however has a massive risk of diminishing returns in repetition or allusion, as the initial suprise and buildup is gone.
    Each of those times it was the Green Goblin that did it...

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The Phoenix Force is not a required element of that story and can easily be cut in a film adaptation of it. MOM was an adaptation of DPS in so many ways complete with the suicide at the end. I dont see them reskinning this storyline again with someone new
    You and I both know Wanda isn't dead. She basically has a healing factor and took multiversal punches.

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    You and I both know Wanda isn't dead. She basically has a healing factor and took multiversal punches.
    Of course she's not dead but guess what? Neither was Jean Grey. Doesnt change the fact that the film did end with her apparent suicide

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Of course she's not dead but guess what? Neither was Jean Grey. Doesnt change the fact that the film did end with her apparent suicide
    I don't think that is comparable. Jean really did die and we saw her body get destroyed. It was only was retconned years later that the Phoenix wasn't Jean.

I doubt Wanda believed falling rocks were deadly than America's punches.

I would also like to say that the Dark Phoenix Saga was about showing Jean's gradual descent into madness. It was never about the X-Men fighting Jean like MoM was about Strange fighting Wanda. The movie didn't even show Wanda's descent into madness, she was a villain at the start.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Gonna be honest, between the mediocrity of Black Widow, Eternals, and now Strange, I fear the X-Men are joining during the MCU's washed era. Hopefully future entries can match the quality of No Way Home which stands as an exception in Phase 4 so far. I want to believe Feige still has it but he's looking like a Wizards Michael Jordan right now...
    Man this just cracked me up, and you have a good point that rings true.I guess it depends though do the movies want to look back into the school set up or ffwd to mutants having a full nation on an island?(either Krakoa/Utopia) I think to avoid comparisons with the Fox movies they should do the latter but maybe still concentrate on an 'Akademos' type facility, whether the mainstays are students or teachers would be the main choice.

Are there really people who want another Phoenix adaptation? It's been beaten into the ground. General audiences will be put off by it. Jean can be great without the Phoenix. There's thousands of other x-stories to use for the movie, and they can also make up new ones.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    Are there really people who want another Phoenix adaptation? It's been beaten into the ground. General audiences will be put off by it. Jean can be great without the Phoenix. There's thousands of other x-stories to use for the movie, and they can also make up new ones.
    To me and this is a personal preference it can be an ultimate agent to wipe the slate clean when MCU wants to wrap up all the phases.It is not the only one ,but a good vehicle but for that to happen it needs to a) be set up as an autonomous entity first which to me would require developing and aging the mythos to have it visit the earth serially or at least once before in its own skin and only later come inhabiting a host (with the reason developed ) by b) providing a counterforce to it -be it Galactus reimagined or some other entity like the first fallen- to establish the groundwork for it either leaving its host or 'transmuting'/subsuming the host if they want to go the Dark Phoenix route at the end.For me once the phoenix is used and gets a host the host either ascends with the Phoenix or separates reverting back to pre-Phoenix level.I don't think to manifest the Phoenix and be tied to it while half-assing through the rest of the X-stories helps either the host or the entity.

Yea I think there's zero chance Phoenix shows up in the MCU. Feige's biggest thing when making MCU Spider-Man to strongly differentiate him from previous versions (to a level that really pissed off diehard Spidey comic fans). Considering how many times Fox tried and failed to do Phoenix, I don't see him touching that plotline with a ten foot pole. Hell, I'm more scared that Feige won't use Jean at all because of her prominence in the Fox films. Not that scared though but I think that's more likely than Phoenix

Yea I think there's zero chance Phoenix shows up in the MCU. Feige's biggest thing when making MCU Spider-Man to strongly differentiate him from previous versions (to a level that really pissed off diehard Spidey comic fans). Considering how many times Fox tried and failed to do Phoenix, I don't see him touching that plotline with a ten foot pole. Hell, I'm more scared that Feige won't use Jean at all because of her prominence in the Fox films. Not that scared though but I think that's more likely than Phoenix
    I think when they finally get around to it, the MCU is going to lean heavy into the 90's cast. There's a reason they're milking 90's TAS nosalgia so much.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    I think when they finally get around to it, the MCU is going to lean heavy into the 90's cast. There's a reason they're milking 90's TAS nosalgia so much.
    Wouldn't be surprised at all if the 90s show team are all important characters but I do think he'll pull a lot from 2000s and 2010s. The MCU in general tends to pull from that era of the comics the most

Wouldn't be surprised at all if the 90s show team are all important characters but I do think he'll pull a lot from 2000s and 2010s. The MCU in general tends to pull from that era of the comics the most
    I dont see it. THe Avengers and other lines like GOTG were going through a renaissance of sorts during that era and it was clear things were being done in the books to feed into the films. Marvel wasnt future proofing or doing any of that with the X-men during that tie. In fact it was arguably one of the worst eras for the X-men. Outside of the early stuff with Morrison (which influenced the Fox films), I dont see much of the stuff after especially the 2010 SF and Utopia stuff being used as inspiration for the X-movies. The source material just isnt that good