Page 53 of 289 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    I think when they finally get around to it, the MCU is going to lean heavy into the 90's cast. There's a reason they're milking 90's TAS nosalgia so much.
    Yeah, that definitely seems to be the direction they're heading in.

spoilers:
    Not for nothing did they put Xavier in the iconic yellow hoverchair with the 90's theme playing in the background in Dr. Strange: Multiverse of Madness.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont see it. THe Avengers and other lines like GOTG were going through a renaissance of sorts during that era and it was clear things were being done in the books to feed into the films. Marvel wasnt future proofing or doing any of that with the X-men during that tie. In fact it was arguably one of the worst eras for the X-men. Outside of the early stuff with Morrison (which influenced the Fox films), I dont see much of the stuff after especially the 2010 SF and Utopia stuff being used as inspiration for the X-movies. The source material just isnt that good
    I think you have a point. I think the MCU tends to default either to the most 'iconic' era of a character, or the stories/eras that makes the most sense when you want to reinvent the character for modern audiences. Iron Man, for instance, arguably got a modern 'reboot' of sorts with stories like Extremis (which is where the Afghanistan retcon to the origin was first introduced) so that's what formed the basis for the MCU take on the character (granted, back in 2008, that was the most recent version of the character!). Likewise, The Ultimates really reinvented the Avengers for the 21st century (not to mention Nick Fury), so that series served as the basis for the MCU Avengers, blended in with elements from the original 60's comics.

With Spider-Man they've kinda gone with a blend of the iconic 60's Lee-Dikto run and its many modern reinterpretations, including Miles Morales' early stories from Ultimate Comics...though they've thrown in elements from more modern 21st century stories since that's the era that saw Spider-Man becoming an Avenger and working more closely with other heroes.

I think the same may apply to the X-men. They'll probably go with some blend of the 90's (the animated series in particular) and the Claremont era...perhaps with some elements of successful 21st century runs like Morrison's run or Hickman's run thrown in. Actually, something like the new X-men '92 comic adaptation of the Krakoa era might be a good indicator of how MCU X-men films might approach the material.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    Are there really people who want another Phoenix adaptation? It's been beaten into the ground. General audiences will be put off by it. Jean can be great without the Phoenix. There's thousands of other x-stories to use for the movie, and they can also make up new ones.
    I absolutely want another Phoenix adaptation, this time done right possibly. So many things that can be done to make it feel fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I absolutely want another Phoenix adaptation, this time done right possibly. So many things that can be done to make it feel fresh.
    I agree. the biggest sin of Dark Phoenix was to clearly be a remake of The Last Stand. Similar but slightly different conflict with Xavier, same aesthetic, and a Phoenix Force that was pointless and not relevant at all for the plot; similar to the aliens.

It can be done again adapting the comicbooks without being too similar to what has been done before.

If they do Phoenix again they need to give the audience time to let the concept breathe. Jean shouldn't become Phoenix and Dark Phoenix in the same movie, we need to see her using it as a force for good/as an evolution of her powers before corrupting it and expecting anyone to care. Fox was so dumb.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Just like in the comics the whole story of the Phoenix has just been so beaten to death in the movies outside of die hard fans NO one wants to see yet another rehash of that worn out story. There are literally a million other things they can do with the X-Men on film that would be better than seeing them try and beat that dead horse again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Just like in the comics the whole story of the Phoenix has just been so beaten to death in the movies outside of die hard fans NO one wants to see yet another rehash of that worn out story. There are literally a million other things they can do with the X-Men on film that would be better than seeing them try and beat that dead horse again.
    Umm... nobody has actually seen the Phoenix Saga on the big screen with the Shiar Empire and cosmic escapades. All we get is a fast-forwarded, Hellfire Club-less DPS playing out like a poor man's Firestarter, which itself is Diet Pepsi Carrie.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Yea I think there's zero chance Phoenix shows up in the MCU. Feige's biggest thing when making MCU Spider-Man to strongly differentiate him from previous versions (to a level that really pissed off diehard Spidey comic fans). Considering how many times Fox tried and failed to do Phoenix, I don't see him touching that plotline with a ten foot pole. Hell, I'm more scared that Feige won't use Jean at all because of her prominence in the Fox films. Not that scared though but I think that's more likely than Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    If they do Phoenix again they need to give the audience time to let the concept breathe. Jean shouldn't become Phoenix and Dark Phoenix in the same movie, we need to see her using it as a force for good/as an evolution of her powers before corrupting it and expecting anyone to care. Fox was so dumb.

That is not what we were talking about. We are talking about a No Way Home scenario with the returning cast.
    Last edited by Gnostic; 05-10-2022 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I agree. the biggest sin of Dark Phoenix was to clearly be a remake of The Last Stand. Similar but slightly different conflict with Xavier, same aesthetic, and a Phoenix Force that was pointless and not relevant at all for the plot; similar to the aliens.

It can be done again adapting the comicbooks without being too similar to what has been done before.
    Disagree. The Last Stand's Phoenix was about how people are dissociative identity disorder automatically homicidal. Dark Phoenix tackled mental health issues in a far more thoughtful way.
    Last edited by Gnostic; 05-10-2022 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    That is not what we were talking about. We are talking about a No Way Home scenario with the returning cast.
    How you gon tell me? The topic evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Umm... nobody has actually seen the Phoenix Saga on the big screen with the Shiar Empire and cosmic escapades. All we get is a fast-forwarded, Hellfire Club-less DPS playing out like a poor man's Firestarter, which itself is Diet Pepsi Carrie.
    That is why I think Time Runs Out/Secret Wars is the perfect opportunity. Get Famke Janssen back to play the cosmic Phoenix as a reluctant anti-villain who is destroying worlds to save her own, which is what Cyclops tried to do with the Phoenix Force in the original story. End it with Jean and Wanda recreating the multiverse with their powers combined from the White Hot Room (to mirror the ending of AvX) instead of Reed. It would go with the Phoenix's death and rebirth theme.

BTW, considering the fact that the X-Men helped defeat Thanos in the 838-universe...that means they don't exist in the 616. Because now there is excuse for them to not have helped the Avengers now.

BTW, considering the fact that the X-Men helped defeat Thanos in the 838-universe...that means they don't exist in the 616. Because now there is excuse for them to not have helped the Avengers now.
    thats not how that works. I don think you can take what limited knowledge we have of that universe and start making assumptions about the main MCU one

thats not how that works. I don think you can take what limited knowledge we have of that universe and start making assumptions about the main MCU one
    It is the most likely explanation. America had been to many universes and never heard of a Spider-Man. If Spider-Man doesn't exist in every universe, it is safe to say that the X-Men don't either.

It is the most likely explanation. America had been to many universes and never heard of a Spider-Man. If Spider-Man doesn't exist in every universe, it is safe to say that the X-Men don't either.
    Just bc America never heard of a Spider-Man before, doesnt mean one doesnt exist in any universe she's been too. Over the course of the film, she didnt hear about Antman, Loki, or Thor either yet we obviously know they exist in 616. She can spend as little as a few minutes in a universe before hopping onto the next and its impossible for her to have learned everything about said universe in such a short time.

Just bc America never heard of a Spider-Man before, doesnt mean one doesnt exist in any universe she's been too. Over the course of the film, she didnt hear about Antman, Loki, or Thor either yet we obviously know they exist in 616. She can spend as little as a few minutes in a universe before hopping onto the next and its impossible for her to have learned everything about said universe in such a short time.
    It is very likely that there are universes where the spider never bite Peter, never became Spider-Man, or he was just never born due to his parents never meeting. The multiverse is suppose to be about endless possibilities. We know the Avengers don't exist in every universe according to Tobey and Andrew's Peters.